hello world?

we've got a programmer :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
pontiacinblack said:
At least I didn't state it as:

printf ("%s \n", "Hello, world!"); :devil:
Welcome pontiacinblack. I was droppin' IBM System 360 punchcards on the floor before you were a gleam in your poppa's eye. Glad those days are gone. I could never fathom the guys who could just sit at a terminal with no notes in front of them and hack away. Cobol had just been invented to replace? Fortran IV with Watt4 and Watt5. Boy am I dating myself, now. Anyway, as you can see everyone is here to have fun while teaching our dealers a thing or two. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
achieftain said:
Welcome pontiacinblack. I was droppin' IBM System 360 punchcards on the floor before you were a gleam in your poppa's eye. Glad those days are gone. I could never fathom the guys who could just sit at a terminal with no notes in front of them and hack away. Cobol had just been invented to replace? Fortran IV with Watt4 and Watt5. Boy am I dating myself, now. Anyway, as you can see everyone is here to have fun while teaching our dealers a thing or two. :lol:
ah, yes... the olden days...

when 7600 baud was flyin'!,

and it was an amazing upgrade to get your RAM from 256 to 512 K :lol:

Luckily, I managed to mostly avoid the punchcard days - my college had just switched over to mainframe compiler and user accounts when I got into college. <whew!>

Before that, all my programming was saved on....
...cassette tapes!!!! :glol:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for making me feel young again, guys! :cool:

I work for IT at a certain BigTen school (cough..GoBoilers!..cough) and seeing all of these young freshmen girls all day was making me feel like an old fart! :willy:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
pontiacinblack said:
...and seeing all of these young freshmen girls all day
Now there's a benefit they don't list in the HR manual ;)

I go way back to mainframe days myself...Assembler & Cobol... :willy:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Welcome
O My God ,Fortran IV with Watt4 giving me the chills again.
Spend hours typing out the card , standing in line for a hour to put the punch cards in , only to find out you screwed up the type!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
solsticeman said:
ah, yes... the olden days...

when 7600 baud was flyin'!,

and it was an amazing upgrade to get your RAM from 256 to 512 K :lol:

Luckily, I managed to mostly avoid the punchcard days - my college had just switched over to mainframe compiler and user accounts when I got into college. <whew!>

Before that, all my programming was saved on....
...cassette tapes!!!! :glol:
I've got an old Radio Shack TRS80 if anybody's desparate to save data on cassettes. :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts