Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looks like someone on Miata.net found a Best Car magazine article with photos and more specs:

http://forum.miata.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=42;t=000211;p=1

No confirmation on how authentic the photos are, but so far no challenges from those in the know on that forum.

Looks like the length will be the same as the Solstice, but the Miata will be 4" narrower and 1" lower. The weight is listed at 2,425lbs. That translates to 13.5 lbs per horsepower versus the normally aspirated Solstice's 16.8 (assuming the article is correct about the Miata's 180hp at 6,600 rpms).

Oh, and Brentil, check out the color.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Here are the pics from their site. Not crazy about the styling of front but it looks good overall. You can see the traditional Miata look it it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Ahhh man, you're right, I love that orange color. I'm kinda disapointed in the front end, I like the spy shots of the RX-8 front end they had cobled on originally. With the power increase, and I'm betting a sweet MazdaSpeed package later on this will be a definite Kappa competitor.

It'll mainly depend on how the price stays though when it's done.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
If 13.5 lbs per HP is true it would be a little rocket. We'd need the torque #s too.

·
Registered
180 Posts
it had no wow factor.
I think this site looks alot clean, much easier on the eyes to read.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Its definately a revolutionary design, and I think Miata fans will be pleased that it retains the strong resemblance to past Miatas. Why mess with success?

180 HP sounds like it will be a lot of fun too, depending on how much torque is available and how flat the powerband is. At that RPM, it sounds more like its a peaky engine.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the way my personal scorecard looks as of now:

Styling: Solstice way ahead

Usability: Miata will likely win with a larger trunk and easier top mechanism

Driving pleasure: Too soon to tell. Need to see some road tests of the new Miata.

Brand preference: I'd prefer to give GM/Pontiac my business.

Decision: Still unsure.

·
4,592 Posts
Michael said:
It looks painfully plain to me, though I do like the colour. I like the look of Rodeo's far more.
Why thank you Michael :thumbs We'e really come to enjoy the look of the MSM, it really stands apart from miatas, it's the best kept secret out there!

I am NOT convinced these are real images, but who knows?

If they are, I don't like that much!

This makes the MSM we bought that much better (and the price didn't hurt). So far, the MSM is holding as a leader over the next gen miata and solstice/sky, but only cause we're having so much fun, and the other 2 are not available to see in person.

Let's see if access to the trunk with the top up in the solstice is a PITA, that (along with the small trunk) will really drive the stake in many potential buyers hearts :rolleyes

I've been having fun learning how to kick out the back end with the throttle/turbo, this one handles great!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
mceb said:
... We'd need the torque #s too.
Just saw a high res scan of the article. If I make it out correctly, it says 20.0 kgm @ 4600 rpm. If my conversion factor and the article are correct, that puts it at 145 ft/lbs at 4600 rpm. Not as much as the Solstice, but it has 400 lbs less weight to get moving (the torque to weight ratio of both cars is almost identical). Peak torque comes just a hair higher in the RPM range than the Solstice (4600 vs 4400).

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Wow! If these pictures of the new Miata are correct, then what a dissapointment! I was just on the trunk shot thread saying I might switch to the Miata, but not if it looks like this!! It looks way too much like the NA and looks dated right now. The NB looks way better. Mazda may have just taken my alternative to the Kappa away! The General should be pleased if they make this!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AeroDave said:
Wow! If these pictures of the new Miata are correct, then what a dissapointment! ....
One fellow with connections is saying these images are closer to the real thing than previous renderings, but still not exact. These images don't seem to have the same contours on the top of the front and rear fenders as the spy shots of the camouflaged cars on the test track. I definitely agree that these new renderings don’t look as good as the current generation car. The fender lines are just too straight.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
2442 lbs? Isn't that the same weight as the current mazda, give or take a few lbs?

Yet, it's gaining 2" in wheelbase, 1 1/2" in track, and a more powerful motor?

Sumbody's DREAMIN'...

If the chassis dimensions are correct, then the new miata's going to gain at least 70 and more like 150 lbs over the old one - making it closer to 2550 lbs.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Booooring.

Also, Miata's "faces" are not supposed to look mean.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
solsticeman said:
2442 lbs? Isn't that the same weight as the current mazda, give or take a few lbs?

Yet, it's gaining 2" in wheelbase, 1 1/2" in track, and a more powerful motor?

Sumbody's DREAMIN'...

If the chassis dimensions are correct, then the new miata's going to gain at least 70 and more like 150 lbs over the old one - making it closer to 2550 lbs.
It supposedly has a different chassis. The press reports say keeping the weight close to the prior model was a priority. We'll see what it really is in March.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
tcl said:
It supposedly has a different chassis. The press reports say keeping the weight close to the prior model was a priority. We'll see what it really is in March.
Different chassis or not, the bigger the car, the heavier it will be. Just physics, nothing else.

Most of the time, the more power in the motor, the heavier also - if you start with an aluminum block 4-cylinder, assuming a higher horsepower version is available the higher power version will be heavier - even if the block is the same design (2.2l versions of the ecotec weigh more than the 2.0 and 1.8 l versions - same designs).

It turns out that mass-produced engines, with life expectancies more than 100,000 miles (kinda a given, nowadays), have a rather narrow range for specific power (or kW/kg, or hp/lb) - add ons like NOS, turbocharging, supercharging etc. can change this specific power too, but usually at the expense of life expectancy.

Even the Corvette and Porshe - which can be argued to be very specific for lightweight and hi-tech still falls in expected ranges for size and weight.

It's really simple, size begets weight. Front-engined, RWD cars have a very specific density that does not have much variation. The best efforts only move the needle by 50lbs or so, unless you seriously decontent a vehicle below market expectations (like no carpet, lexan side glass, pull-cords for inside door handles [think ferarri testarossa], magnesium wheels, stripped out sound deadener...).

·
Registered
753 Posts
instantly recognisable as a miata.
and you have to give mazda their props because they were in this market ( affordable, reliable fun , open 2seater) first and have given their competition a clear bar to reach or surpass if possible. i'm glad to see it, because it adds to the vitality of this market niche.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Specs on the "supposed New" Miata:

Motor: DOHC 4
Displacement: 1998 cc
Horsepower: 180 @ 6600 rpm
Transmission: 6 speed Manual / 5 speed Automatic
Length: 3995mm (157.2 in.)
Width: 1720mm (67.68 in.)
Height: 1250mm (49.2 in.)
Wheelbase: 2330mm (91.68 in.)
Weight: 1100kg (2425 lbs.)

Those dimensions compare to the '89 NA as follows:

Length: 155.4 in.
Width: 65.9 in.
Height: 48.2 in.
Wheelbase: 89.2 in.
Weight: 2182 lbs.

And a quick review of the Solstice:

Length: 3994mm / 157.2"
Width: 1819mm / 71.6"
Height: 1274mm / 50.9"
Wheelbase: 2415mm / 95.1"
Weight: 2860lbs curb

So, assuming the information on forums.miata.net is correct, the Solstice will still be about the same overall lenghth, but 4" wider, 4" longer wheelbase, 1" taller than the NC. The short overhangs relative to wheelbase is probably one of the keys to the unique "grabbing" styling of the Solstice.

I also found this on the MSM MX-5 (the NB)
http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/mazda/mazdaspeed-miata-mx-5/compare/

Length: 155.7"
Width: 66.1"
height: 48"
F/R Track: 55.7"/56.7"
Wheelbase: 89.2"
WEIGHT: 2529 lbs, Automatic (gen. about 50 lbs weight for auto)

The NC is getting bigger than the NB (at 2475lbs roughly for the manual). There's no way its not going to gain weight - I'd bet a beef jerky it will come in somewhere around 2500+lbs, maybe more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts