Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to this report from autoweek:

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102418

Mitsubishi has released its new, redesigned Eclipse to dealers about 10 days early to try and jump start their lagging sales. Top models have a 263 HP 3.8L V6 with a 6 speed manual transmission. However, curb weight is up to about 3500 lbs! :eek: (Weight isn't listed in the autoweek article, I pulled it from an edmunds.com first drive review of the new Eclipse).

·
Registered
251 Posts
How funny... I was just driving home, and noticed a pretty sharp looking car next to my Pontiac dealer. It was the new Mitsu., the sun was just setting, and it was the Orange one (pictured) in the above article... it is a VERY sharp looking Orange!! :cool:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry but everyone I've known that owned a Mit has had many problems. Not going to be on my radar.

·
4,592 Posts
nope - nope - nope, not for me!

Front wheel drive is a no no for me, I don't like the power tied to the steering.

Car is too big. I rented an 05 a ways back, and was swimming in it.

Looks do nothing for me.

From Edmunds.com:

" What's Edmunds' Take?

We like the look, but we're worried about putting 260 hp through the front wheels. It could spell massive torque steer. "

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dls6774 said:
Auto Week just had an article on this.
They seem to be quite taken with it.
I'm assuming they'll have a roadster at some point?
I believe that the convertable version is due out next year.

·
Registered
76 Posts
dls6774 said:
Auto Week just had an article on this.
They seem to be quite taken with it.
I'm assuming they'll have a roadster at some point?
Like the last model, there'll be a ragtop version,but since it has a rear seat, by definition it's not a roadster.
Iver rented the std Eclipse ragtop as well as the GT ragtop version when in Florida and the GT version is O.K. and fun to drive compared to other rentals, but not even close to being in the same ballpark as a roadster (like my Z4 or hopefully the Solstice or Sky)..

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Not too shabby for a coupe. Now I know what Pontiac did with all the leftover Sunfire frontends when production stopped. :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've seen a few around town for the past few months (they make them here). I think cars in America have a weight-problem. 3500 pounds for an Eclipse! The new 911 Turbo is 4082 pounds!

·
4,592 Posts
legion said:
The new 911 Turbo is 4082 pounds!

:eek: WOW, what's the 0-60 time on the 911 turbo?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Also from Porsche.com
911 Turbo Cabriolet (convertible)
Weights - Manual - Tiptronic S
Curb weight - 3,660 lbs - 3,748 lbs

911 Turbo (non-convertible)
Weights - Manual - Tiptronic S
Curb weight - 3,505 lbs - 3,594 lbs
According to Porsche.com also the 2005 911 Turbo S (non-convertible) 0-60 is 4.1s, the Turbo S Cabriolet is 4.3s. You're also talking about a car with 444 HP and 457 lb-ft of Torque and 15/22 MPG fuel economy.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Going to test drive the GT tomorrow. I had a 1999 GTS ragtop and really loved the look. The damn thing was burning oil after just 2 month though. Returned back to the dealer and bought an Acura CL instead.

·
4,592 Posts
:eek: Wow, the porsches are heavy little powerhouses! I saw that 4000lb weight, and thought they must be doing a 10.0 second 0-60, then I remembered they are porsches...... :lol: Too bad, I thought maybe I could beat one :( Har har!

·
5,641 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Mitsubishi has released its new, redesigned Eclipse to dealers about 10 days early to try and jump start their lagging sales. Top models have a 263 HP 3.8L V6 with a 6 speed manual transmission.
Early isn't always good. Here is Thursday's headline:

Mitsubishi has issued an "urgent notice of stop sale" on the redesigned 2006 Eclipse. The problem involves the vacuum brake booster, which could cause brake failure.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Small Dealer said:
Early isn't always good. Here is Thursday's headline:

Mitsubishi has issued an "urgent notice of stop sale" on the redesigned 2006 Eclipse. The problem involves the vacuum brake booster, which could cause brake failure.
:glol: Unfortunately we will never know whether this is because of the early release, or just the poor quality that has plagues Mistu recently, or even from recent cost cutting measures to try and get rid of the red ink!

It is certainly a good example of why people should be patient with Pontiac and let them work out as many bugs as possible on the Solstice before releasing them to the public! :thumbs:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts