Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I own a 2007 Solstice Base with a manual gearbox.

I would like to improve my exhaust noise which is why I stopped by my local muffler shop today.
The guy told me that he recommends mounting a Magnaflow V-Flow muffler.

As this is my first modification and I dont understand much of the technical stuff I was hoping that someone might be able to give me a few tips and pointers and answer a few questions.

Is the muffler the guy from the garage suggested a good choice?

What will it do to sound and performance?

I quite like the sound of old 60s British roadsters like Jags and MGs, is there a system that would bring me closer to achieving that than the one he suggested?

Is a muffler even sufficient or will I need other parts?

Anything that will help me make a smart decision is highly appreciated, like I said, I dont know anything about the topic.

Also, please consider, I dont have a lot of money, I would like spend the least amount possible while still getting a quality product.

I thank you in advance for your time and your help.

Kind regards,

Mark

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you're area uses road salt in the winters, I'd put on something made out of stainless steel. I have Magnaflows on my 53 F100 and all I can say is , "they're loud." I'll be ditching them if my finances get better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No road salt in the winters where I live. Thanks for the tip. Apart from it being louder, how did it change the notes of the sound, if at all?

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
On youtube you may find clips of different exhaust sounds

I had Magnaflow on my GXP and thought it was too quiet

Check with Solo Performance. They have several different exhaust solutions, make great products and have a lot of experience eith our cars. Call and talk withem and they can give you good advice

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much Rob, I just had a look at DDM Works' website and saw the Solo products. I would love to have their center dual exhaust kit with their beautiful headers in my car, however, on top of the price for both of those items I would also have to get a center outlet fascia and right now I just dont have disposable income for that.

The solo products will have to wait but will certainly be the next upgrade. However, I will certainly call them and ask them for more information once the time has come.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Several folks have installed an OEM GXP muffler on their 2.4s because its a straight installation swap. GXP mufflers can sometimes be picked up quite cheap, and will increase the sound of the 2.4. However, shipping can be expensive, plus having to buy a dual exhaust rear valance. Still it's an option worth considering.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
You might want to try Summit Racing they carry an extensive line of mufflers and their prices are reasonable just need to know the dimensions .I also have a Magnaflow system on my car (complete cat back) which was offered as a dealer installed system when Pontiac was still in business for me the sound is just right and I've had it with my header ,high performance cat set up and now on my turbo set up .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts