Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About six months ago I started my research regarding acquiring a Solstice. I've been a daily reader of this forum since that time, and my determination to own one of these permagrin generators increased to a critical state. However, I forced myself to remain calm and remember all of the information presented on this forum while I looked for the "perfect" car for me.

Lo and behold, about a month ago, I purchased my 2006 Deep NA Solstice. 42k on the odometer and very well maintained. Appearing to suffer none of the common maladies that have been listed so many times in great detail on this forum.

So, to all of you veterans who have taken so much of your time and effort to provide a newby like me with the immense amount of useful information.....

THANK YOU!!!

I spent the first 3 weeks of ownership going over the car with a fine tooth comb, preparing my "to do" and future mods lists, and loving every minute of it. Then on my drive home from work this past Monday, disaster struck. This horrendous rattle appeared out of nowhere. Once in my garage, I quickly discovered the catalytic converter had suffered internal failure. Knowing that I now had to pony up some money to fix this car, I began my internet search for parts. The search brought me once again back to this forum where the special catalytic converter warranty was discussed.

Today I took my rattletrap car into the local GMC dealer for them to look at the car and determine what they would do. To my utter shock, they had a catalytic converter available locally, and 4 hours later, I'm back on the road with no money out of pocket and a totally revived car.

Wow, what a difference the new converter has made in performance.

So, again to the veterans of this forum...... THANK YOU!!!

I look forward to sticking around here for a long time, gleaning all the wisdom I can from those of who know so much.

Just a happy owner around Memphis, TN,

Jeff

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and I'm glad you have found the information here useful. I have also availed myself of that cat convertor extended warranty.

Hang around and join a few of the conversations.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Congrats on the ownership and successful cat converter rehab! (I'm sure you've read that many of us had a bit of a struggle with that. Okay. I did.)

Please be sure to share your experiences and ask the questions. I've only been here about a year but have had so many questions answered and that's made me eager to share what little I can. It's those small bits that add up and keep this community strong.

Oh, and though many members here don't brag about it, we own one of the coolest cars ever made.

Just sayin', ya know?

·
Registered
433 Posts
About six months ago I started my research regarding acquiring a Solstice. I've been a daily reader of this forum since that time, and my determination to own one of these permagrin generators increased to a critical state. However, I forced myself to remain calm and remember all of the information presented on this forum while I looked for the "perfect" car for me.

Lo and behold, about a month ago, I purchased my 2006 Deep NA Solstice. 42k on the odometer and very well maintained. Appearing to suffer none of the common maladies that have been listed so many times in great detail on this forum.

So, to all of you veterans who have taken so much of your time and effort to provide a newby like me with the immense amount of useful information.....

THANK YOU!!!

I spent the first 3 weeks of ownership going over the car with a fine tooth comb, preparing my "to do" and future mods lists, and loving every minute of it. Then on my drive home from work this past Monday, disaster struck. This horrendous rattle appeared out of nowhere. Once in my garage, I quickly discovered the catalytic converter had suffered internal failure. Knowing that I now had to pony up some money to fix this car, I began my internet search for parts. The search brought me once again back to this forum where the special catalytic converter warranty was discussed.

Today I took my rattletrap car into the local GMC dealer for them to look at the car and determine what they would do. To my utter shock, they had a catalytic converter available locally, and 4 hours later, I'm back on the road with no money out of pocket and a totally revived car.

Wow, what a difference the new converter has made in performance.

So, again to the veterans of this forum...... THANK YOU!!!

I look forward to sticking around here for a long time, gleaning all the wisdom I can from those of who know so much.

Just a happy owner around Memphis, TN,

Jeff
It's great to hear you're enjoying your Solstice and received good service at the dealership! If you're interested, check out the Pontiac Owner Center. This is a tool designed by GM for owners to access such information potential recalls, maintenance schedules, and other such services. We may also be able to provide certain product information but would need your VIN$. I hope you're having a good week despite any car issues. Regards.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Pontiac Owner Resources and Information | Pontiac

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I look forward to the fun. And yet again I learn something new. Off to visit the Pontiac Owner site. Hahaha

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I've been on a C3 forum for almost 3 years and whatched newbies buy a vette that turned out to be a complete POS. being a veteran member, I probably should have searched for a Solstice forum before considering buying one but no I did not. I'll have to read up on the cat warranty and I also read somewhere about the common rearend clunk which I am experiencing at low speeds while shifting from 1st to second. would I be lazy if I asked for some info on that?

thanks
Charlie

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
I'll have to read up on the cat warranty and I also read somewhere about the common rearend clunk which I am experiencing at low speeds while shifting from 1st to second. would I be lazy if I asked for some info on that?

thanks
Charlie
Yeah, you would be considered lazy, but there is so much written here about it, it'd take forever to wade through it.

Summary (opinion): Some Sols have it worse than others, GM & Pontiac considered it to be "normal". Absent any other symptoms such as leaks, very loud whine, grinding sounds at slow speed while turning, you'll end up living with it (unless you want to pony up lots of dollars to replace the diff on your own - and you might get one that is worse).

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I've been on a C3 forum for almost 3 years and whatched newbies buy a vette that turned out to be a complete POS. being a veteran member, I probably should have searched for a Solstice forum before considering buying one but no I did not. I'll have to read up on the cat warranty and I also read somewhere about the common rearend clunk which I am experiencing at low speeds while shifting from 1st to second. would I be lazy if I asked for some info on that?

thanks
Charlie
Rear end or front end? The manual historically has a clunk on the 1-2 shift particularly below 2,000 rpm. Design inherent - there's nothing you're going to do to fix it. Well, except shift at a higher RPM and that usually feels unnatural.

It's quirky enough that the dealer who did do an excellent job replacing my cat (once they could get one) told me that I needed to replace a transmission mount when I picked it up. I told them "No, that's not a tranny mount, that's just part of it's 'personality'." He tipped his head at me and I told him "It's a transmission from a Hummer 3."

He still looked a little puzzled. :)

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the attention.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Yeah, you would be considered lazy, but there is so much written here about it, it'd take forever to wade through it.

Summary (opinion): Some Sols have it worse than others, GM & Pontiac considered it to be "normal". Absent any other symptoms such as leaks, very loud whine, grinding sounds at slow speed while turning, you'll end up living with it (unless you want to pony up lots of dollars to replace the diff on your own - and you might get one that is worse).
Yeah, it's not related to the shift from 1 to 2. I got under the car and banged around and the right drive axel seems loose at the transaxle. I'm not 100% sure that's where the noise is coming from but if you try and wiggle it with the car sitting, you can make it knock. I guess the 1st thing to do it make sure the fluid is full and new. then I'd have to look at the print and see what holds it in there. maybe I can get spacer / washer / bigger clip would do the trick. I haven't looked into it so I have no idea what's in there so just saying. really as long as there's no risk of failure then a little clunk can be cured by turning up the Metallica!
Charlie :devil:

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Welcome aboard and damn glad to meet you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome aboard and your are correct there are a lot of great info from some great members here. Enjoy your 06 Deep and love the color too. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts