Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2007 Solstice with a tad shy of 32k miles. I instantly fell in love with the car. Unfortunately She has a bit of a transmission issue (automatic) so its going back to the dealer already to be fixed...I must say though, even if I get rid of this one, A solstice will be what I buy. Absolutely wonderful car.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Scotty - use the search feature on the dark gray bar above and "google search" automatic transmission problem. You'll find several threads and should be able to get some good background information.

The issues you'll find on the car are not widely known by most service departments. It's always good to have some background information to "assist" in resolving said problems.

Welcome and good luck!

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
According to our linguistic anthropologist members, the language is in a constant state of flux, evolution and changing to maintain its currency.

We dial a phone, when there are not dials any more. We text people which had no meaning 20 years ago.

Since I started that thread . . . I got to create an appropriate word.:devil:

Beginning with "my transmission sucks" I created a new use for a term I had heard infrequently in the past. Suckage. Its a unit of measure for things that suck, but can be a verb, adverb, noun . . . its all use case sensitive.

If enough of us use it so it becomes a "common useage term" then it will unquestionably become a true part of our common language.

For now, its pretty clear what the intent of the word and the title and perforce the thread is.:thumbs:

Computational Linguistics must have solid or expert level experience working with speech technology, text mining, translation and information extraction. Natural Language Processing and Optimality Theory are two focused research and analytical fields that linguists benefit from being well versed in. Computational linguists develop search engine, automated email and voice recognition systems and can work at privately held companies as well as in government industries

Read more: Careers in Computational Linguistics | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5105783_careers-computational-linguistics.html#ixzz2K9NNOaTI

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the guys at the dealer the automatic has some issues due to leakage in the TCU. They are fixing the problem and I should have my car back in a couple of days free of charge...for now, they rented me a Yaris :(

Basically it felt like I was driving a manual car while downshifting...without the throttle blip. Very jerky downshift while slowing down.

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
Is that really a word (suckage) and is it a action verb :eek: or an abstract noun?
Interesting Stanford lecture that posits that the number of words is infinite

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
According to the guys at the dealer the automatic has some issues due to leakage in the TCU. They are fixing the problem and I should have my car back in a couple of days free of charge...for now, they rented me a Yaris :(

Basically it felt like I was driving a manual car while downshifting...without the throttle blip. Very jerky downshift while slowing down.
Did you go read through the thread, that Rob posted a link to?

Not sure I am buying the "Leakage in the TCU" explanation, given the history with automatics.

The "hard shifting" that you are describing is a "transmission protection mode" that the TCU/BCM will put the transmission into, when there is a discrepancy between anticipated data received from the ECM and observed data received from the ECM. Go read that thread, and educate yourself. My bet is that service doesn't really understand the problem.

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts

Hard downshifts on trailing throttle is the basis of the suckage thread. Causes were typically failing or failed cam servos or position sensors.

The transmission control module gets bad data from the TCM

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sorry about the trouble, but our resident experts will help exceedingly! Now, let's see if the dealer did the "fender crunch" due to improper lifting...sure hope not.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Suckage is indeed a word. Common variants are:

Suckitude
Suckicity
Sucktastic
Suckitivity

All versions make infrequent appearances in my communications.

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
Suckage is indeed a word. Common variants are:

Suckitude
Suckicity
Sucktastic
Suckitivity

All versions make infrequent appearances in my communications.
:agree::agree::agree:

Well said.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts