Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi DAT373,
I'm a Solstice noob myself so I can't answer any of your questions. Just wanted to say hi and welcome you to the great world of the Pontiac Solstice. This site is loaded with folks who know this car! If you get tired of searching please just take a break and then come back and look some more as there is tons of info on this site. I hope your project turns out great.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Welcome to the forum DAT373. I'm not sure that search is going to help you very much since your car has been substantially modified due to the racing.

As for the buttresses (what you call dongles) study the one that works and you shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out the one that doesn't work. Chances are that it is the cable at the latch becoming disconnected from the latch. You should be able to find a bunch of suggestions on here about that as it is a common problem.
In order to fix it you have to get the trunk open.

The 06 cars did not have the 2.0 turbo engine, and the 2.0 turbo engine used a different wiring harness and ECM than the standard 06 car. This many be the source of the problem with the speedo and tach, it may not. This could also be the problem with the reverse lights and the wipers. Speedo, tach, lights and wipers are all controlled through the BCM and there may be a mismatch between the wiring harness and the BCM.

As to the racing seats, racing seats just don't seem to fit well in the Solstice, but there are a lot of threads here with peope trying to fit seats other than stock.

Good luck, and I'm hoping that some of the guys can give you better answers than I have.

Good Luck.

:thumbs:

·
Administrator
9,780 Posts
The speedometer/odometer and reverse lamps problems are both related to the engine swap as the connections are different between the LE5 (2.4) and LNF (2.0) engines.

The wipers could get complicated depending on how they were modified. Contact with the original owner for information would be helpful.
There are two relays for the wipers: On/Off is controlled by the BCM unless the selector is set to high, when it is controlled directly from the switch in parallel with the Lo/Hi relay
The control switch has two outputs: One feeds straight to the underhood fuse block for high speed control, the other goes to the BCM for low speed intermittent and mist control.
There could be a jumper somewhere hot-wiring the high-speed connection to the UFB, it is also possible that the switch has been altered.

A description of the switch operation would help: Stock switch? What happens in each of the 5 positions? (Mist, Off, Int, Low, High)

I think your best bet for seats is to buy a set of stock ones. DaveOC is correct - non-stock seats do not fit in these cars.

You really need a Service Manual. I think they are out of print at helminc.com, but you can find them (and seats) on eBay.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Welcome to the forum.....good luck with your conversion! If you got a 2.0L, hopefully it's a 'built' motor and capable of some decent HP. Stock internals on the 2.0L are good to about 400HP then you have to change them. Do you know what turbo you're running? Do you know if there was anything done to the motor? How much boost is the car pushing, not that it really matters for HP, but it's always fun to hear how much someone else it pushing. I would also assume since it was a purpose built race car that you have an AM intercooler.... Just some fun things to hear about....

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
6. 4th gear can be nasty. Sometimes it shifts like butter, sometimes I have to play with it to get it in. I often get a vibration in 4th as well.
This is a fairly well known issue. it's the 4th gear synchronizer going out. It's a fairly expensive fix from what I hear.

7: Windows are out of alignment. I think this is because of the roll cage that was in it - I imagine this will be a relatively simple fix? Just take off door panel and realign?
That sounds as though it will work.

It sounds like a lot of my problems are due to this engine swap by the PO! There is some shotty wiring in what looks like an electrical panel on the driver side next to the coolant reservoir. I wish I had a picture of it but this is the best I can do of my engine bay at the moment.
That is the location of the ECM.

1. How difficult would it be to source a proper BCM for the car? Or how can I even check which BCM it is using? Where do I find it on the car? I know GM's are well known for having speed sensor issues
The BCM is located behind the floor board in the passenger footwell.

2. Can I definitely access the trunk through the wheel well? I tried studying the other linkage for half hour to an hour and got frustrated with it. I'd rather take tire off so I dont scratch up the trunk if its doable.
Sure you can access the emergency trunk opener in the trunk, but unless you have the buttress released from the trunk lid, you are still not going to get the trunk open.

I haven't had a real chance to study the fine details of the car yet..anything I can get from here is great help. Thanks guys
Good luck!

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
What ECM was use to do this swap?.
What year SKY since this would at least give an idea of the ECM used.
Also I believe the ECM BCM would have to match in order for things to function properly but I am not sure about that either.

·
Administrator
9,780 Posts
I can find nothing in the manual that suggests a different BCM for the LE5 vs LNF. It may be, however, that the BCM has to be told which engine is installed.

In any case for the reverse lamps, the BCM doesn't control anything with the MA5 (Manual Transmission), and the lamps are powered directly by the switch on the transmission. The backup lamp relay is only used with the M82 (Automatic Transmission).

After a closer look at the Vehicle Speed Sensor wiring I can see that the differences are in the pinout on the ECM. The VSS for the LE5 uses a connector that doesn't exist on the LNF. Depending on how the swap was done and which harnesses were used, the VSS may not be connected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DaveOC - thanks a bunch for your replies! In regards to fourth gear, it seems like I can just double-clutch it for now from other things I've read. I'll just pretend 4th gear doesnt exist until I have more time to look at those synchros.

JohnWR, you are the man. It sounds to me the reverse lights are likely just a worn out switch or bulbs are toast. Say theoretically the BCM needs to be told what to do, is this just a matter of having a dealer do a flash on it or something of that nature? Also, do you have a diagram showing where the connections are or should be on the ECM for the VSS? I'd like to figure out how to use the stock speedo if I can. I'll get a picture for you guys of the ECM on the weekend when I get home - maybe we can sort out which unit was used.

The reverse lights are the only thing the mechanic required for me to fix before granting it a safety. I'll just use a GPS for speedometer in the meantime.

Anyone with input regarding non-stock seats?

·
Administrator
9,780 Posts
Images of the transmission wiring and the two ECM connectors. Not the clearest, but they seem to be readable.
The VSS connects to ECM C2 Pins 40 and 53. I don't know why, but the VSS is called the OSS in the connector pin lists.

I would also check the connectors, you could have a pin pushed back in one of them, and the wires, as one could have gotten pinched and cut.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Wow.....for racing it, I'm surprised he used all OE items on an '06 except for the 3.0bar MAP sensors. Was the car a total before he made it a race car? Now be careful.... An '07 ECM won't work with an '08+ motor or BCM....so be careful. Make certain what year the motor is and what year the ECM/BCM is....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. I'll be home tomorrow so I can start getting some additional pictures to help supplement my issues. I'll post up a shot of the ECM..I know some of you will cringe at the site of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts