Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Just got my GXT the 15th and its the same color like it a lot.Has all the DDM works frame handling stuff and vented brakes dont know about the tune.KM air filter.Looking forward to no rain or snow to drive it.Had a Satern base for 3 years and always wanted a redline or GXT So good luck with yours.And I hope with mine!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Welcome ! I have the exact same car, 2008 GXP 5 speed, Brazen (aka Inferno Orange Metallic) with black top. Bought it new in 2008 while living in Appleton WI. Had a 2nd set of 4 wheels with racing winter tires mounted on them. The car was a blast in snow - but kept it out of salt. When moved to Milwaukee got rid of the winter tires. No fun snow places there. Now living in Indiana so am able to drive a lot more. But still only 23k on It. I got rid of the front license plate by drilling out the rivets from the front. Used body filler on the two holes. Got Inferno Orange Metallic paint, Pontiac code 28/WA502Q from Touch Up Direct. Also get their Clearcoat to put on top. Have fun. View attachment 111043
Nice car! Thanks for the advice. I haven't decided yet if I want to attempt the plate holder removal, it's such a conspicuous spot! But the plate ruins the lines/look of the front end.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
IMG_20210310_170422765.jpg
I removed the license plate holder and drilled out the rivets and this is the result. Now to fill it and touch it up

·
Registered
696 Posts
It looks like you kept the damage to as little as possible! Good Job. Now for the part that always makes me nervous. I have confidence doing most mechanical jobs, but Body and paint work always scare me for some reason.

Best wishes with the filling and painting!

Reactions: Wpetrie

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
If you haven't sourced paint yet I recommend Automotive Touchup. It takes a couple of weeks because they custom mix every order. I used their paint when I painted my "Sly" spoiler and I'm very satisfied. Just Google them.

Reactions: Wpetrie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It looks like you kept the damage to as little as possible! Good Job. Now for the part that always makes me nervous. I have confidence doing most mechanical jobs, but Body and paint work always scare me for some reason.

Best wishes with the filling and painting!
I feel the same way about body work! I just hope I can make it look decent. The weather is getting better this week in WI, might be time to take it out for the first drive. I have only driven the car on a test drive at the dealership.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I have only driven the car on a test drive at the dealership.
When I bought mine, just before Christmas 2017, the roads were crappy and I wasn't able to test drive it. Loaded it on a U-haul trailer and towed it home, It was April before I was able to drive it for the first time. That was a long four months!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

So I have been taking a closer look at my front air dam/splitter and realizing it is bent up in the middle. I had noticed the scrapes on it but thought it was supposed to be shaped that way until I took a closer look at some other pictures on this forum. I don't think there are any serious issues as a result of this since everything seems to be operating normally. What am I going to find when I go to repair this? I assume there must be some kind of bracing behind the plastic? I have read that the intercooler has a line along the bottom (oil line?) but I don't seem to have any kind of fluids leaking. Hope this doesn't become a major job. Can this plastic be coerced back into the proper position?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Well, I got under the front end today and got things sorted fairly well. There are a series of tabs along the top of the splitter that were pulled out and with a little pushing and pulling I was able to get things lined back up and the tabs inserted where they belong. A fairly easy fix!

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
View attachment 112068

Well, I got under the front end today and got things sorted fairly well. There are a series of tabs along the top of the splitter that were pulled out and with a little pushing and pulling I was able to get things lined back up and the tabs inserted where they belong. A fairly easy fix!
That looks like new. Glad it worked out OK.

·
Registered
2008 GXP
17 Posts
View attachment 112068

That turned out really well, about as good as you could hope for. My car was much the same way when I purchased it last year. Only the lip was bent down and at some point under, so the top had heavy gouging. Took sanding, filler, and paint to make it right. Oh, also took some trial and error with a heat gun to get it back into shape.
A heat gun would help get that last little deflection you have out, but I wouldn’t recommend it you’re not planning on respraying the nose. I was able to do just the lip since mine is aggressive and has no metallic.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts