Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to make this a sticky thread.

Just wondering, as we start to get more and more drivers, there are many unanswered questions, quirks and things that make one think, "gee, I wonder if there is a reason such and such is a certain way."

Some starters, from what I've seen posted (and I'd like to keep the discussion to a minimum in this thread, and take the opportunity to illuminate what people have noticed about their car, or issues they have with their car, for GM visibility) :

-Drivetrain/Driveline/Differential Clunk
-Numerous water leaks
-Doors lock when driving, no unlock button, car will not unlock unless engine is keyed off, picking up a passenger is inconvenient, no way to disable auto-lock. Would help if there were an unlock button.
-Driver's side visor is the only visor with a mirror.
-Top latch is prone to damage if top is lowered with latch "engaged"
-Window switch is somewhat inconvenient to reach

Anyone have stuff to add? I'd like to see if we can maybe get some response by making this a bit more visible.

Added:

-Why aren't there dividers in the little "side pockets" for your pens, change, sunglasses, etc? I hate stopping at a red light to the jangle of change sliding forward, and then pulling away to another jingle as it goes back to it's starting point. Also, while we're dividing it up why not put a cover over it as well, you know so that everytime I get in my car I don't get sand, pebbles, dirt, etc in there?

-Hate the passenger seat air bag light in front of me on all the time. At least turn it off after a few moments.
-Would have preferred a tray on the center console rather than the door openings.
-Could have had pockets on the doors to provide map space. Pockets on front of seats would have been better if placed on the sides of the console
-Would like the gauges and radio to be easy to see with the top down.
-Fuel gage difficult to see for some people. [Since it hasn't been *specifically* stated, the steering wheel blocks the view of the gauges for many people, even if it is tilted all the way up.]
-Would like the ability to adjust seat height.
-Console cup holder difficult to use
-Oil filter difficult to reach
-No real place to mount a license plate
-Gas tank could have been molded to provide more trunk space (not enough trunk capacity)

-Cup holders pop out when you don't what them to pop out.
-I haven't seen anyone else complain of the glare from hood and fenders and more importantly, the visors ineffectiveness to help much. (low angle sunlight reflects off hood/fenders and visors will not block the glare)
-The effect of direct sunlight on the radio readout and the inability to see whats displayed
-Stem on rearview mirror should be sturdier. Wind can promote vibration. (not to mention subwoofer)

BRENTIL'S LIST
  • The Pontiac symbol in the waterfall reflects as a 'ghost' image in the review mirror. Sometimes I think there's something behind me when it's just the symbol. In one hand it's kinda cool, in the other it's kinda unsafe. Safety issue.
  • The airbag on/off light is in my cone of vision when driving. It's bright and orange and it draws my eye to it many times while driving or stopped. If I move my cone of vision enough then come back I think some light has just come on and I focus on it. Safety issue.
  • The chrome guage surrounds as other have mentioned can glare sometimes in the right light. Not tooooo bad, just draws my eyes sometimes. The real issue is the glare off of them shows up in the windshield. In the top left corner I get these shiny reflections in the windshield. They're very annoying and can block vision and also draw the eye to them. Safety issue.
  • The little rubber nubs on the screws in the trunk keep popping off! :brentil: I've had to put them both back on so far. There is one on each side in the trunk across from each other near the top rim right behind where some of the roof parts connect. I noticed this because I slashed the back of my hand good across one of the screws, then I noticed the rubber nub laying in the trunk. Luckily no blood in my car at least. Safety issue.
  • The roof design is very sexy. But like anything sexy it has to give something up to be that way. When the roof is up it's amasing how much it blocks your view over your left shoulder. You pretty much have to trust your memory and mirrors 100% when it involves anything to your left. If a roof was made without the buttresses that provided better visibility I'd buy it today. If in future versions such a roof could also permit a better fuel tank design and more usable trunk space, I think a lot of critics would shut up. Safety + Inconvinience issue.
  • Guage Lights only light up when the Auto lights are set to on, and the system turns the Auto lights on. I have a tinting on my glasses due to issues with certain parts of the visible spectrum hurting my eyes. I also wear sunglasses in the early morning and late evening. There have been times where I can't read my guages because the lights wont turn on. The guage lights really should turn on when the headlights are turned on, even in non-Auto mode. Safety issue.
  • Don't know if this is due to the rearview mirror, the rear window, or them mixed with my glasses but there's a really weird warping going on. I only notice it with the roof up so far. If you look through the rearview mirror with the roof up it kinda 'shrinks' everything behind you. It's a horizontal shrinkage, kinda like the view behind you is in a vice being squished together. Either that or a verticle stretching, I'll try to pay more attention to it next time. It's kinda dissorienting at times. Inconvinience issue.
  • Auto Sensing lights turn on and off and on and off. Was driving back from Tampa on I4 Saturday and it was very overcast since hurricane Wilma was about to come rape the state. My friend asked me why I kept flashing my headlights at him. The lights work on a 30 second interval of detection it seems where if its dark enough it turns on, then if it lights back up enough for 30 seconds they turn back off. Well dark clouds kept turning them on and off and I wasn't noticing it at first. Yes I can turn Auto lights off, but I keep forgetting to, and it's a hastle. Once I also turn the lights off Auto you also no longer get guage lights either... The answer to this I've found is leave Auto on and just drive with my headlights on all the time. Just wish that also turned on my guage lights. :( Inconvinience issue.
  • The fuel door has a little nub to hook your gas cap on. It sucks though. The second you accidently touch the gas cap wire (I'm 100% for knocking it off so far with 4 fuel ups) the cap pops right off and slaps into the car. Freaks me out every time I've done it. Inconvinience issue.
  • No Summer only tire option. I live in FL so the chance of snow is very unlikely (in the last 30 years it's snowed [snow flurries] once for 30 minutes in my part of the state). If it had cost me extra to get Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires I would have paid it. Even though tirerack.com sells the Eagle F1 GS-D3 for $5 less then the current RS-A OE tires. Inconvinience issue.
-One other thing that I would love to see, and I hope to see an aftermarket solution is a lock for the center console storage area. I like to keep my GPS in there, but because I can't lock it, I am hesitant to park the car with the top down. (Not for an extended period of time, but if I run into the store for a few minutes.) Another easy fix which will hopefully be addressed by some enterprising third party!

Move the power window controls to the center console area and make it easier for driver and passenger as well as save money.

Somehow link the top butresses so you don't have to walk around the car to latch them down. (top operation reiterated)

Put the antenna in the windshield. (Mast antenna appearance)

-Just remembered this one, but can't recall or find who posted it: Occasionally, some people accidentally turn the radio on/off while shifting.

-Also, it seems easy to open or close the center dual-cupholder by accident while shifting. Same goes for the passenger single-cupholder, accidentally opened by the passenger's leg.

-Added from memory, can't find thread: The decklid may not stay up if there is a tailwind and you are trying to access the trunk - like the spring is not strong enough.

-In addition to the already mentioned glares on the radio and the ghost images in the rear view mirror of the arrowhead and the radio settings, I'd also like to see GM modify the plastic covering the gauges.. right now the bottom of the plastic is closest to the driver.. I'd like to see kind of a reverse curve with the top closest to the driver. that would cut back on the glare i'm seeing during the daytime on the [bottom portion of the] speedo and tach. Would also help keep light out of the guage area so I could read the DIC better when the auto lights dim the DIC/Radio on me and I can't read it anymore.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Soldstice 41505 said:
I hate having to push the clutch in to start, why want it start when in neutral?

Isn't this a very standard safety feature on all manual cars.

·
Registered
819 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
Isn't this a very standard safety feature on all manual cars.
All of the newer manuals are set up that way. In days of old, it wasn't that way, but that was before many of the other new safety "features". ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Why aren't there dividers in the little "side pockets" for your pens, change, sunglasses, etc? I hate stopping at a red light to the jangle of change sliding forward, and then pulling away to another jingle as it goes back to it's starting point. Also, while we're dividing it up why not put a cover over it as well, you know so that everytime I get in my car I don't get sand, pebbles, dirt, etc in there?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
SolsticeMan said:
I am going to make this a sticky thread.

Just wondering, as we start to get more and more drivers, there are many unanswered questions, quirks and things that make one think, "gee, I wonder if there is a reason such and such is a certain way."

Some starters, from what I've seen posted (and I'd like to keep the discussion to a minimum in this thread, and take the opportunity to illuminate what people have noticed about their car, or issues they have with their car, for GM visibility) :

-Drivetrain/Driveline/Differential Clunk
-Numerous water leaks
-Doors lock when driving, no unlock button, car will not unlock unless engine is keyed off, picking up a passenger is inconvenient, no way to disable auto-lock.
-Driver's side visor is the only visor with a mirror.
-Top latch is prone to damage if top is lowered with latch "engaged"
-Window switch is somewhat inconvenient to reach

Anyone have stuff to add? I'd like to see if we can maybe get some response by making this a bit more visible.
The clunk is normal they say. Water leaks will be fixed at dealership. The rest of your quirks are stupid. If you don't like the car sell it ! Or maybe you can give GM another 2500.00 for your car and they can fix your quirks. If the mirror was on the passenger side you would want it on the driver side and so on and so on. It's a Back to Basic Roadster.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
deluke said:
The clunk is normal they say. Water leaks will be fixed at dealership. The rest of your quirks are stupid. If you don't like the car sell it ! Or maybe you can give GM another 2500.00 for your car and they can fix your quirks. If the mirror was on the passenger side you would want it on the driver side and so on and so on. It's a Back to Basic Roadster.
Not MY quirks or complaints, I gathered them from other posts. I don't think they are stupid, if they annoy people, or are done differently AND BETTER on main competitors (like a mirror on BOTH visors for the MX-5, as well as a top that operates with basically one hand and you never have to get out of the driver's seat for the MX-5), then they are legitimate - SOMEONE ELSE figgured out how to do it better.

My thinking is that if we gather them together, maybe our information will be heard and these improvements will be put into next or next-next model year Kappas. YOU may think they are stupid, but I think they are legit enough to collect and feedback to GM in an open forum.

If everyone thinks this is stupid, let me know, I'll just delete the thread.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
SolsticeMan said:
Not MY quirks or complaints, I gathered them from other posts. I don't think they are stupid, if they annoy people, or are done differently AND BETTER on main competitors (like a mirror on BOTH visors for the MX-5, as well as a top that operates with basically one hand and you never have to get out of the driver's seat for the MX-5), then they are legitimate - SOMEONE ELSE figgured out how to do it better.

My thinking is that if we gather them together, maybe our information will be heard and these improvements will be put into next or next-next model year Kappas. YOU may think they are stupid, but I think they are legit enough to collect and feedback to GM in an open forum.

Don't mind having to but the top up manualy, you get some excersize and its less weight with a manual top or maybe you would like your car a little heavier . The mirror is a stupid mention as far as I'm concern if people want a mirror on the passenger side buy one and put it on. No big deal to press remote to open doors you get use to it very fast, Can't understand what the fuss is, some people are never happy no matter what. Personally besides the few minor leaks, I love the car LIKE I SAID BEFORE, IT'S ABACK TO BASICS ROADSTER. If people want a BMW Z4 go spend the extra money. Sorry about my rant, but I get tired of all this stupid BS.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Soldstice 41505 said:
I hate having to push the clutch in to start, why want it start when in neutral?
Never heard of a stick that was any different. I guess I'm too young to know any different. I've never driven a 4-speed stick either. :)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...not at all

SolsticeMan said:

No, I don't think they are stupid at all. In fact, it was helpful to me to have heard of some of these 'quirks' when I finally took delivery of my Sol last week. I knew what to expect and I adjusted to it. Took the edge off, you might say. Also, isn't it important to let GM know what people are complaining about so they can make 'improvements'? I understand they monitor this forum pretty closely.
:cool:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
RichSol said:
No, I don't think they are stupid at all. In fact, it was helpful to me to have heard of some of these 'quirks' when I finally took delivery of my Sol last week. I knew what to expect and I adjusted to it. Took the edge off, you might say. Also, isn't it important to let GM know what people are complaining about so they can make 'improvements'? I understand they monitor this forum pretty closely.
I disagree with most of what your saying I think you are making out of mole hills!!!. AMEN ! now drop it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Don’t want to rant because I love the car, but.........
Hate the passenger seat air bag light in front of me on all the time. At least turn it off after a few moments.
Would have preferred a tray on the center console rather than the door openings.
Could have had pockets on the doors to provide map space.
Would like an unlock button for the electric door locks.
Would like the gauges and radio to be easy to see with the top down.
Would like the ability to adjust seat height.
Console cup holder difficult to use
Oil filter difficult to reach
No real place to mount a license plate
Pockets on front of seats would have been better if placed on the sides of the console
Gas tank could have been molded to provide more trunk space

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
SolLate said:
Hate the passenger seat air bag light in front of me on all the time. At least turn it off after a few moments.
Would have preferred a tray on the center console rather than the door openings.
Could have had pockets on the doors to provide map space.
Would like an unlock button for the electric door locks.
Would like the gauges and radio to be easy to see with the top down.
Would like the ability to adjust seat height.
Console cup holder difficult to use
Oil filter difficult to reach
No real place to mount a license plate
Pockets on front of seats would have been better if placed on the sides of the console

I'm hoping that they can fix a couple of those by next year. Move the passenger airbag light and add seat height adjustment. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Cup holders pop out when you don't what them to pop out.

As mentioned in my "Eagle" thread and although I haven't read every single post, I haven't seen anyone else complain of the glare from hood and fenders and more importantly, the visors ineffectiveness to help much.

The effect of direct sunlight on the radio readout and the inability to see whats displayed (a small hood?)

Stem on rearview mirror should be sturdier. Wind can promote vibration. (not to mention subwoofer)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Have you ever wondered why the first ammendment (freedom of speech) is followed directly by the second ammendment (right to bear arms)? :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Feedback from real customers is good. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with year 1 but sometimes it's the little things that refine the brand.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

SolLate said:
Yes, that light is definitely annoying. I keep looking for a malfunction.lol
Re the gas tank remolding. I don't think it would do much good since the top still has to rest over the center of the trunk. Actually the gas tank gives it something to lay over and kind of keep its shape. I would like a bigger trunk, but I don't know how they could do that without messing with the excellent body style.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Deluke, we're not necisarily whining, we're voicing our opinions of items we have issues with in hopes of GM seeing them. If some of these issues can be fixed then it's a refinement of the platform towards a perfect version. Just because it's a back to basics roadster (as S-man and myself have both been two of the major members to point this out over and over) it doesn't mean they can't make it better and keep it the same price.

Had my car almost a week [6 days and 750 miles], here's my list of things I would like to see changed to make it a better product for future generations. I've put the ones I felt were safety issues first.

• The Pontiac symbol in the waterfall reflects as a 'ghost' image in the review mirror. Sometimes I think there's something behind me when it's just the symbol. In one hand it's kinda cool, in the other it's kinda unsafe. Safety issue.
  • The airbag on/off light is in my cone of vision when driving. It's bright and orange and it draws my eye to it many times while driving or stopped. If I move my cone of vision enough then come back I think some light has just come on and I focus on it. Safety issue.
  • The chrome guage surrounds as other have mentioned can glare sometimes in the right light. Not tooooo bad, just draws my eyes sometimes. The real issue is the glare off of them shows up in the windshield. In the top left corner I get these shiny reflections in the windshield. They're very annoying and can block vision and also draw the eye to them. Safety issue.
  • The little rubber nubs on the screws in the trunk keep popping off! :brentil: I've had to put them both back on so far. There is one on each side in the trunk across from each other near the top rim right behind where some of the roof parts connect. I noticed this because I slashed the back of my hand good across one of the screws, then I noticed the rubber nub laying in the trunk. Luckily no blood in my car at least. Safety issue.
  • The roof design is very sexy. But like anything sexy it has to give something up to be that way. When the roof is up it's amasing how much it blocks your view over your left shoulder. You pretty much have to trust your memory and mirrors 100% when it involves anything to your left. If a roof was made without the buttresses that provided better visibility I'd buy it today. If in future versions such a roof could also permit a better fuel tank design and more usable trunk space, I think a lot of critics would shut up. Safety + Inconvinience issue.
  • Guage Lights only light up when the Auto lights are set to on, and the system turns the Auto lights on. I have a tinting on my glasses due to issues with certain parts of the visible spectrum hurting my eyes. I also wear sunglasses in the early morning and late evening. There have been times where I can't read my guages because the lights wont turn on. The guage lights really should turn on when the headlights are turned on, even in non-Auto mode. Safety issue.
  • Don't know if this is due to the rearview mirror, the rear window, or them mixed with my glasses but there's a really weird warping going on. I only notice it with the roof up so far. If you look through the rearview mirror with the roof up it kinda 'shrinks' everything behind you. It's a horizontal shrinkage, kinda like the view behind you is in a vice being squished together. Either that or a verticle stretching, I'll try to pay more attention to it next time. It's kinda dissorienting at times. Inconvinience issue.
  • Auto Sensing lights turn on and off and on and off. Was driving back from Tampa on I4 Saturday and it was very overcast since hurricane Wilma was about to come rape the state. My friend asked me why I kept flashing my headlights at him. The lights work on a 30 second interval of detection it seems where if its dark enough it turns on, then if it lights back up enough for 30 seconds they turn back off. Well dark clouds kept turning them on and off and I wasn't noticing it at first. Yes I can turn Auto lights off, but I keep forgetting to, and it's a hastle. Once I also turn the lights off Auto you also no longer get guage lights either... The answer to this I've found is leave Auto on and just drive with my headlights on all the time. Just wish that also turned on my guage lights. :( Inconvinience issue.
  • The fuel door has a little nub to hook your gas cap on. It sucks though. The second you accidently touch the gas cap wire (I'm 100% for knocking it off so far with 4 fuel ups) the cap pops right off and slaps into the car. Freaks me out every time I've done it. Inconvinience issue.
  • No Summer only tire option. I live in FL so the chance of snow is very unlikely (in the last 30 years it's snowed [snow flurries] once for 30 minutes in my part of the state). If it had cost me extra to get Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires I would have paid it. Even though tirerack.com sells the Eagle F1 GS-D3 for $5 less then the current RS-A OE tires. Inconvinience issue.
I'd like to point out even though I have a long list, this is THE BEST CAR I've ever owned or driven. I love my Solstice and would never trade it for another car, except maybe a Solstice GXP. :D

1 - 20 of 95 Posts