Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to say hello to all of you as I am a new owner of a 2008 GXP which is a blast to drive. I am sure there is a lot of knowledge on this site and wanted to tap into it. Any advice on owning one of these vehicles? I only plan to drive it during the summer and then put it away in the winter here in Chicago.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Pictures!

There is a wealth of information on this site. I learn something new almost every day. I highly recommend that you go back into the archives and check out the 2007 timeframe when we still had GM engineers sharing technical information with us.

Here is a sample from Flash's Owner

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/gm-stage-ii-kit-review-52407/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I don't have attachment privileges with a free membership so i don't see how i can upload an image.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Welcome. Plenty of knowledge. Lot's to do. A couple of things I would do in this order:

1) Coolant flush - a great chance that this is what causes the common waterpump failure on these cars.
2) ONLY use synthetic oil for oil changes
3) If your car doesn't have a tune, get one. Many good tuners. GMPP, Trifecta, HPTuners**
4) If you want to do any engine mods (Intercooler, intercooler piping, exhaust, high-flow cat HFC), do those BEFORE getting a tune.
5) Windrestrictor!!!!
6) There is no limit to what you can do!

Known Issues:

1) Waterpump - can go anywhere from 30k to 150k... not a matter of if, just when. VERY specific repair instructions for it to be done or you will wind up with a NASTY howl from the time sprocket bearings.
2) Rear end bearing leak
3) High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) - very expensive....NEVER run your car down past 1/4 tank, let alone run it out of gas or you WILL have to replace it. Cost: $800-$1500 depending on where you live and where you take it.
4) Battery low voltage - when it starts to get low, it creates all sorts of electrical gremlins.
5) Camshaft sensors

There are more, but I can't remember them. Oh...I forgot, PERMAGRIN!!!

PERMAGRIN - an unremovable smile on the face of a Kappa owner! ;):lol:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Enjoy the ride. Very good info already. Make sure you look up or ask about winter storage when the time comes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the feedback so far. The car is amazing, handles great and launches from the line like nothing I have owned before. I'll see if i can make June 21st for the Drive the Dixie event.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Welcome! Nice to have another Kappa fan on the forum.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Very nice. Back to what ghost says. all that for sure and definetely do not let your battery run down to nearly dead due to age or leaving a light on. If you have never had your RCDLR reflashed, your FOB's will cease to work and your tire pressure sensors will go blank and the only way you can fix it is at the dealer. couple hours and about a buck fifty you'll never get back. I have a trifecta budget tune on mine which really woke up the accelleration. However, it's possible you already have a tune so you could already be there. a way you can tell would be your average boost. if it's normally over 21, you're probably already tuned.
congrats and enjoy her.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback so far. The car is amazing, handles great and launches from the line like nothing I have owned before. I'll see if i can make June 21st for the Drive the Dixie event.
Bring it up to the Razorback Run in October! :thumbs:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Im new too :)

I just got my 2008 GXP Solstice at Easter. I love it ! I had to change the water pump already though. That was a big job but my boyfriend took on the challenge and it turned out great. I will try to post a picture as soon as I figure that one out as well. This is actually my first post.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Welcome Sadie. Posting pics is easy. I use photobucket.com. After you upload your pic, there is a button above the pic that looks like a chain. Click that, it's the share button. Then go to the very bottom link in the pop-up and click it. It automatically copies what you need. Do your post like normal and when you want to insert the image, just use <cntrl><v> and it will paste that link in your post and voila....you will have a pic in your post. The wp is a horrible task. Hopefully he used the sprocket holder and you have no whine coming from the engine....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yea, we researched it before we started so I got the sprocket tool. I got the full circle one because we read the half moon didn't always work. No whine :). My boyfriend is very through when it comes to cars, he owns two corvette's, 1978 & 2014. He the reason I traded my Smart car for a sports car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts