Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2008 Solstice Convertible (Cool). It has 42,000 miles but only 1 owner. What do I need to look for or do as far as service, etc.

How many "future" miles can I expect if I take good care of it (probably drive 4 days a week and about 1200 miles per month)?

Do you think they will hold their value ... OR ... since not being made anymore, do you think there will be a "curve" where (NOT counting inflation) they will begin to go UP in price?

Also, I live in Arizona. What kind / type of oil do you recommend?

Thanks a bunch for your help!

·
Registered
260 Posts
okay....

The car holds as much value as somebody is willing to pay for it. For example i paid 17k for mine, but i knew it only had one owner, and was taken care of. Currently i see these coming up for 12-14 (n/a) in my area. Am i upset? a little, but i have all of the records for the car, and i know it will take me anyplace in the U.S. You pay to play. If you're not planning on keeping this car, and driving it the way it's meant to, i don't think you should buy one. Right now the prices are dropping, but as more and more kids crash these, the numbers go down and down, which will bring value up. If you want something "worth" buying that will holds it's value buy a coupe. They are low in numbers, and still beautiful. The 1st thing to check on these is the water pump. The le5 is notorious for this ( search the forum). Oil is 5w30, and others have stated that you should not use synthetic oil. I use Penzoil 5w30 every 3k miles or 2 months whichever comes 1st. You also want to look at the differential, and make sure it does not leak. There is a lot more to know, but i think this is the most important part. Common sense of course dictates you should check brakes, tires, any odd ticks and rattles and what not. The fact that it's not being made anymore shouldn't really matter. If anything happens to the engine ( knock on wood). you can buy a used one for 5-700$ or do a V8 swap ... or a straight 6... or an sr20... anyway. point being is that the car is fun to drive. take it out for at least 30-45 min before buying it. Make sure no odd lights come on, and make sure you READ!!! Don't want to drive the car home, and all of a sudden have a check engine light or some other crap turn on. Car is fun as hell, and aftermarket support is great. there is more, but others will chime in

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input.

QUESTION: Where can I find a latch handle for the convertible top (that locks in down)? The handle at top of windshield inside.

What is the BEST source for parts?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Thanks for your input.

QUESTION: Where can I find a latch handle for the convertible top (that locks in down)? The handle at top of windshield inside.

What is the BEST source for parts?
What is wrong with it? Is it broken, bent or just hard to close? If it is bent, straighten it. If it is hard to close, make sure the windows are down at least a little and that the buttress are not locked down. If it is broken.:cryin:

·
Registered
260 Posts
oh sh*t. can that even be fixed? Take it to the dealer, and see what they say. if they say they can fix it, then a reputable shop should be able to do the same thing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, BuzzardT. I couldn't find the first one you sent. Tremendous. I appreciate your help!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Welcome. I just bought a 2008 too. Post some pictures. Also, check those body panels for alignment. Next, check your fenders on the bottom for the "crunch." Do a search here on the site and get to know your jacking points, and all about Jacking Pads, and jacking up your car. The first day I was on here, someone said, "You are going to love this car." They were right.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I just purchased a 2008 Solstice Convertible (Cool). It has 42,000 miles but only 1 owner. What do I need to look for or do as far as service, etc.

How many "future" miles can I expect if I take good care of it (probably drive 4 days a week and about 1200 miles per month)?

Do you think they will hold their value ... OR ... since not being made anymore, do you think there will be a "curve" where (NOT counting inflation) they will begin to go UP in price?

Do not trust anyone to do anything to this car until you have done some reading. For example, look up how to replace the battery. Also, it is worth noting there is a positive connection in the fuse box if you need or want to give a jump.

I have read mixed messages on this, but the concensus seems to be that your spark plugs should be good until about 100k. That assumes there are no other problems that would foul them out.

You'll also need a special wrench/socket and an extension to open your oil filter canister.

If you are going to buy a jack, make sure it is a low profile jack.I would suggest you buy one. I won't get into the whys and therefores, or which jack to buy debates. A quick search on the forum and you will see plenty of posts on those issues. :)

Ramps have to be low profile too. Everyone seems to like the Rhino Low Profile ramps. 49.00 at pep Boys-45.00 at Auto Zone. That was priced on 20 October 2012--in Virginia.:yesnod:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, OMW41 for the great advice.

QUESTION: When you take the SOL to a shop (either dealer of small shop) for any type of repair, do you have to tell / shoe them HOW and WHERE to jack it up or lift it?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

QUESTION: When you take the SOL to a shop (either dealer of small shop) for any type of repair, do you have to tell / shoe them HOW and WHERE to jack it up or lift it?
Every time I take it in for shop repairs, tires anything. I remind them how to lift the car. And I always take it to the same shops. Be sure to have them look at the under fenders before you leave it with them and then check it with them BEFORE you leave with it.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts

Get the BMW pucks. Clip them in and forget about it.

They're expensive, but great insurance.

This is a vendor just as an example. No personal experience: BMW E36 Jack Pad-Buy BMW Car Parts At FCP

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
If you're going to have a shop work on ANYTHING make sure it is a shop you have confidence in and a good working relationship with. As others are pointing out, there are quirks with this car and since there are fewer of them out there (and no more Pontiac dealers per se) most shops have never seen them nor learned of these quirks. I had a Chevy dealer replace the water pump and even after I cautioned him on the intricacies of the thing, he !#@$ed it up anyway.

So yes, water pump, rear differential leak, jacking/lift points, clogged catalytic converter (you'll know it if/when it happens, lol). Have a dealer run the VIN to see what warranty work has been completed on it and what the status of your warranty is. Get EVERYTHING you can under that warranty!

Don't close the hood with the doors open - you can cause issues that way. Don't slam the seats to the rear most position with your butt in the seat - you can bind the latch making it difficult to move back up. Learn to bring the seatbelts out before you put the seat backs into position or you'll have difficulty pulling them out from behind them. If it's your first convertible, you'll learn that leaning the seats forward when parked with the top down on a sunny day will spare you the first degree burns when you sit on a hot seat. If you have valuables in the trunk when parked with the top down, lock your glove box.

You probably have an electric raise/lower on the driver's seat that most people overlook.

The socket for the oil filter is a standard socket, just not a size that most people have on hand. (You'll probably only ever use it for the oil filter, lol!) Some owners sear by synthetic oil. I have no basis for comparison as I've never used it before this Solstice. The oil life indicator on the DIC is a pretty neat little piece of technology. Search the forum for a complete description of how it works.

Oh, and if you're REALLY smart you'll stay away from this forum. The members here will continue to come up with limitless areas for you to spend your money!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
If and when you get the latch fixed, DO NOT return it to the store posistion when you lower the top; that could be how it got broken.

Do a search and get the diagram for the jacking points. Keep it in your glovebox and show it to anyone who will work on the car. Also, do not tow the car. It was not made to be towed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If and when you get the latch fixed, DO NOT return it to the store posistion when you lower the top; that could be how it got broken.

Do a search and get the diagram for the jacking points. Keep it in your glovebox and show it to anyone who will work on the car. Also, do not tow the car. It was not made to be towed.

It seems like the jacking points are of a major concern on these cars, why is that? Anytime I get underneath a car I usually jack it up from some part of the frame whether it be front K-member or whatever. I don't own a Solstice yet and was just doing some reading and this concerns me a bit.

·
Registered
433 Posts

Welcome aboard the Forum! Enjoy your Solstice!

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
Registered
151 Posts
To get my Sol on my Snap-on lift I made 4 ea - 2"x12"x16" and added 1/2" plywood to get a 2" high drive on, so I could get the lift's arms easily underneith, I cut a sharp angle on one end of each block and screwed the waste piece as a stop. PERFECT!

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Welcome to the forum, kasher! Enjoy the ride.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts