Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2007 soltice 60k on the odometer 5 sp 2.4, hope this community can answer a few of my questions.

I understand there are two models, I have the slower one obviously, but I got a great deal. Great condition handles great but it is the slowest car I have ever driven. My fathers 2007 2.0 nissa versa is faster. I just find it hard to believe the car is running how it should. It falls on its face when I dump the clutch if I have to pullout infront of someone for example. However- if it is really just a slow sluggish car, what are common and relatively cheap upgrades/mods to add just a little more performance? I cant afford to throw a turbo in it, but is that common? Long tube headers, maybe a cattback or just axle back, delete the cats and throw on a CAI is what I would go to first (possibly cam swap?) but I would love to hear some input. My last car was a 2010 camaro ss and those are just common "bolt-ons" in that community.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I work a lot and havent had time to read every thread in this forum I am aware I am asking questions already answered at some-point, please be kind

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2,768 Posts
Need to know a few things.

What is your elevation?
Does your vehicle have TC (Traction Control) and or ESC (Electronic Stability Control)?
If you have TC have you disabled it by pressing the button on the dash?
If you have ESC have you disabled it? Do you know how to disable it?

Elevation makes a HUGE impact in power output. at my altitude that 177bhp becomes about 125bhp

In order to disable ESC when TC is on press and hold the TC button for 5 seconds. Disabling ESC will also disable TC.

This really sounds like the car is stopping you from doing what you want to do. How you can tell is when you take off from a dead stop it will all of a sudden feel like someone slams on the brakes. If you get a good off the line and the wheels don't spin but the first to second shift you hear the tires chirp and then it feels like someone slams on the brakes, it's the same thing.

If you dump the clutch I can guarantee that the wheels start to spin***. The faster the wheel spin is the more power gets reduced from the engine. If the wheel spin happens to be enough to move the back of the car an inch or 2 to the left or right then the ESC (Electronic Stability Control) is going to activate and that will apply the brakes on specific wheels to correct the fishtail of the vehicle.

*** DO NOT DUMP THE CLUTCH
The drive train doesn't handle the stresses from doing this very well. You can end up having to buy any one or combination of the following; clutch, transmission, CV shafts and differential.

So no 6000 RPM off the lines. Keep it to 3500 or less off the line. wheel spin makes you go slower anyhow and it also empties your wallet faster.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
the 2.4 is definitely no rocket the Solstice is a fat cow chiming in at close to 2900lbs curb weight. The car was designed with the main focus being "sporty" and that really lends to better handling aspects of the vehicle.

If you pitted the Versa against the Solstice driving this road.

There would have to be something seriously wrong with the Solstice if it lost. That road has a 1400 foot elevation change If you started from the top you wouldn't even have to start the engine in the Solstice for it to beat a Nissan Versa. I am being serious. The Solstice would take those corners at at least twice the speed the versa could take them. The car was not originally made for 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. That's what the GXP trim provides.

You also have to remember that gearing is going to also play a large role as well as power to weight ratio.

·
Registered
2006 Cool Silver NA 2008 Pure White NA
385 Posts
My 2.4 may not be able to keep up with Big Daddy Don Garlits, but it's quick if not overly fast. If you expected a GT40, then you bought the wrong car. Most early sports cars were under powered and depended on the light weight of the car for its quickness. The intent was (and still is) the driving experience. The Solstice hits the middle road, moderately powered and a bit heavy. It's a roadster - not a dragster. It may not shine in a straight line, but it wasn't made to. It was designed to be a road course racer, and it beat the snot out the Miata from its introduction in 2006 and continued until Pontiac went out of production.

If yours is laying down on you, there's a problem somewhere. Or you expect too much.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
it beat the snot out the Miata from its introduction in 2006 and continued until Pontiac went out of production.
and it still does even after it not being made for over a decade.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I really want to drive a 2.4 to see how slow it is claimed. I've driven a 160hp NC Miata and it was very spritely quick. With 17hp and more tq, the 2.4 should be at least as quick.

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
I recently purchased a 2007 soltice 60k on the odometer 5 sp 2.4, hope this community can answer a few of my questions.

I understand there are two models, I have the slower one obviously, but I got a great deal. Great condition handles great but it is the slowest car I have ever driven. My fathers 2007 2.0 nissa versa is faster. I just find it hard to believe the car is running how it should. It falls on its face when I dump the clutch if I have to pullout infront of someone for example. However- if it is really just a slow sluggish car, what are common and relatively cheap upgrades/mods to add just a little more performance? I cant afford to throw a turbo in it, but is that common? Long tube headers, maybe a cattback or just axle back, delete the cats and throw on a CAI is what I would go to first (possibly cam swap?) but I would love to hear some input. My last car was a 2010 camaro ss and those are just common "bolt-ons" in that community.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I work a lot and havent had time to read every thread in this forum I am aware I am asking questions already answered at some-point, please be kind
If the Versa (149hp 2700ls) really is faster than your Solstice (177hp 2900 lbs) you have either a mechanical problem or a driver problem.

You cannot drive a four-cylinder like a V-8 and expect any kind of performance, so your tendency to "dump the clutch" may be an indicator of driver technique.

What is the history of the car? Have you done a complete filter/fluid service? If it has been sitting, there could be things living in the airbox or the exhaust.

The CAI will not gain you any performance, and nothing will help to any meaningful degree without a tune. Basically, there are no shortcuts.

If you really crave acceleration you are better off looking for a GXP or another Camaro.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I was going to look up 0-60 times and compare but there's no such thing as a 2007 Versa 2.0L. Perhaps OP was just being facetious.

While it shouldn't affect OPs 2007 Solstice, one often overlooked issue with the 2006 2.4 models was the comically tall 3rd gear (it tops out at 110mph, IIRC.) Merging onto a highway and shifting from 2nd to 3rd the car would absolutely fall flat on its face. Same issue if you were puttering around town in 3rd and tried to accelerate. Nothing there.

It takes some work and a state that looks the other way in regards to emissions checks, but the most you'll get out of a 2.4 is around 190bhp.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It's roadster, not a sports car. Yes, the 2.4 is slower than the GXP. But both are equally fun on the curves. Just enjoy what you have.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It falls on its face when I dump the clutch if I have to pullout infront of someone for example.
Don't pull out in front of others and don't dump the clutch. One is dangerous, the other will tear up your Solstice.

Honestly, if 0-60 times is what you want, you bought the wrong car. That said, the 2.4 is a lot of fun on the right roads. Enjoy it for what it is.

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
There is no cheap way to upgrade the performance on a 2.4 you either need a turbo or supercharger otherwise all you are doing with a CAI ,header etc.is adding some bling to the engine compartment . My car was stock when I first purchased it and it was fun to drive I also had a Miata at the time and I thought that the Solstice had a bit more pep . Your biggest issue now is finding performance parts for these cars there are still some vendors out there but you're dealing with a platform that has been discontinued for 11 years now . Sell it and buy a C5 Corvette if that's the direction you want to go

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
930 Posts
I tend to agree with the op. but I have driven 3 cars that were slower.61 toyota publica, vw rabbit diesel truck&rabbit disel car...well possiably another the 74 toyota station wagon I had long long ago. yes these cars are slugs but fun slugs. a easyer way to get more power is to...turn ac off, run 93 octane real gas, not 15% alcohol...not much but better and also run with only1/4 fuel in the tank. other than that a good tune. header(not the solo) air box mods/cai. camshafts, it all depends on how much you want and $$ turbo,blower etc. but it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
For reference, a 1982 Z28 Camaro, a once-performance car, had a 0-60 time of 8.7s. I like my acceleration times just fine.

Reactions: al_c

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks in advance!

Your car may be in limp mode

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
Your car may be in limp mode
There may be a "Limp Mode" for the 2.4, but I am not aware of anyone experiencing it.
In our world that experience seems to be exclusive to the LNF crowd.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts