Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Interesting new renderings of structural, suspension and powertrain. It'd sure be nice if they could be blown up. Several questions answered, several new questions.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DreamerDave said:
Interesting new renderings of structural, suspension and powertrain. It'd sure be nice if they could be blown up. Several questions answered, several new questions.
I'm guessing those will be part of a press kit for Detroit and we'll start seeing some of them displayed via the media. The powertrain blow up also interests me.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, the cut aways show that the exhaust is parallel to the back bumper like I had mentioned in another thread. I'm not really happy about this, but I guess I'll live.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Hmmm. These drawings render fixed spring perches. There goes that dream!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brentil said:
Yeah, the cut aways show that the exhaust is parallel to the back bumper like I had mentioned in another thread. I'm not really happy about this, but I guess I'll live.
It's looks pretty straight otherwise, and the muffler is fairly large, so it may be fairly free flowing. Edmunds also mentioned that Pontiac spent over a year tuning the exhaust sound, so I wouldn't plan swapping exhausts just yet.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Actually if you look at this image...
http://solstice.inner-ninja.com/5MP-DSC01617.JPG

You can see lots of non-mendrel bent parts of the pipe where it's welded sections together that cause angles instead of rounded bends. Also the Pipe more then likely makes a complete semi circle to get into the exhaust, and then makes a 90 degree bend to get out of the exhaust. I'm am very glad though that it looks like it's 2.5" in diameter thought, instead of most cars which have tiny exhuast systems. More then likely someone will come out with a system that's a straight through system in the aftermarket.

Who knows, GM Performance Parts migth even make one. Put a basic exhaust on to keep costs down, then sell those who want it the more expensive one.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Don't know why I was suprised to see this type of exhaust, I should have noticed it before in this image...

http://wallpaper.speedycars.net/pontiac/Pontiac_Solstice_2006_029.jpg

Got a question for more car savey people. What's this device here on the elft of this image with the braided hose coming in and out?
http://wallpaper.speedycars.net/pontiac/Pontiac_Solstice_2006_038.jpg

Fuel pump maybe?

I've always wondered where the fuel tank was too, is it the compartment right behind the seats in the first image I have posted maybe? Because I've seen no plastic/metal fuel tank anywhere's else under the car in any other images.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'm not quite sure, but judging from this pic, it looks like there might be a small storage compartment behind the passanger's seat accessable from the inside. Could the fuel tank reside behind the driver's seat and halfway across? Seems that might throw off the balance.

Sure wish we could get the full resolution images. Think they'll believe me if I register as the editor of a local car club newspaper? Is that considered media credentials?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
aawil said:
I also noticed that honeycomb insert is fastened with phillips screws.
Yep. Looks like it's not a diffuser at all. hopefully they at least clean up the fasteners for production.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
brentil said:
Don't know why I was suprised to see this type of exhaust, I should have noticed it before in this image...

http://wallpaper.speedycars.net/pontiac/Pontiac_Solstice_2006_029.jpg
Dang! That's alot of tight bends right there. a 90 followed almost immediately by a 180. At least its at the rear where the exhaust gases have cooled (and contracted) enough that max airflow isn't as crucial. Also, with an N/A motor, you need a little backpressure anyway so that you can still make some decent torque down low.

brentil said:
Got a question for more car savey people. What's this device here on the elft of this image with the braided hose coming in and out?
http://wallpaper.speedycars.net/pontiac/Pontiac_Solstice_2006_038.jpg

Fuel pump maybe?

I've always wondered where the fuel tank was too, is it the compartment right behind the seats in the first image I have posted maybe? Because I've seen no plastic/metal fuel tank anywhere's else under the car in any other images.
That looks to me like a charcoal canister. It's part of the emissions control system. Basically its there to soak up gas fumes. Incidentally, if you have a habit of "topping off" your gas tank, you run the risk of flooding that filter, from what I understand, when the gas expands or sloshes into there.

Funny, I was speculating on the location of the fuel tank in this thread a few minutes ago... think we crossed posts.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
2KWK4U said:
I'm not quite sure, but judging from this pic, it looks like there might be a small storage compartment behind the passanger's seat accessable from the inside. Could the fuel tank reside behind the driver's seat and halfway across? Seems that might throw off the balance.
Back in 1 of the England mule articles they said engineers were working on some small storage around the seats. Maybe they succeeded.

On the press credentials...we might qualify as internet press?

·
Registered
14 Posts
That space behind the passenger seat got my interest too. Do we think it could be a pass through and the passenger seat can fold flat to allow something like skis???

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2KWK4U said:
... Also, with an N/A motor, you need a little backpressure anyway so that you can still make some decent torque down low....
Yes, I've seen exhausts loose torque even though they gained a little horsepower at high RPM.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
pmkco said:
That space behind the passenger seat got my interest too. Do we think it could be a pass through and the passenger seat can fold flat to allow something like skis???
It's more then liekly not a pass through because if you look at the images it's solid metal.
Look at this...
http://wallpaper.speedycars.net/pontiac/Pontiac_Solstice_2006_035.jpg
then this
http://wallpaper.speedycars.net/pontiac/Pontiac_Solstice_2006_031.jpg

The area behind the seats is pretty much solid metal flush with the seats too. It's like it's a solid container with no disernable openings from the top. If you look at the first image again there are these two metal brackets sticking up too like something is going to be mounted between them. I'm not really sure where the gas tank is going to go, but I don't think that area is for storage.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
yep, the images of the rear bulkhead/trunk area have always perplexed me. Don't know what those brackets are for. Don't know what the trapezoid-shaped cavity is for. I'm going to have to spend the first day or so of ownership taking the damn thing apart just to figure out what I've been looking at for the last year or so!

As an argument for there being at least a small storage compartment behind the passanger's seat (but not a pass-thru), I refer you to the seatback release latch on the seat. I'm thinking if there's a compartment there at all, it looks to me to be about the size of a glove box.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
2KWK4U said:
I'll throw in my two cents on the space behind the passenger seat. I bet that's where we get our fix-a-flat kit instead of a spare tire. I suspect the gas tank is full width and fits below the mystery nook. Highly unlikely that there will be a pass through IMO.

·
Registered
284 Posts
brentil said:
What's wrong with having the exhaust run transverse? This setup worked fine in the Camaros and Firebirds. I believe every F-Body had a transverse muffler, except for the mufflerless chambered exhausts they did in the late 60s or early 70s.

Let's just hope they do headers straight from the factory instead of a plain exhaust manifold, preferrably standard or at least as an option. Without headers, the exhaust size doesn't really matter. More importantly, they better do a good performance air intake as well. You can't breathe out more than you can breathe in. Being a 4-cyl, there needs to be some backpressure though to get good power ratings. It's not like a beefy V-8 where you can put headers and straight pipes with a crossover and get awesome performance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts