Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got back from the show at the plant. It was WELL worth it!

Gonna post a bunch of pics now, and I'll fill in the comments in a bit.

Edit: The cars are still there on the transporters. I'm guessing they'll be there until Monday morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
more pics

This one was sitting right at the gate where you pay to get into the show. I asked if I could sit in it, and to my surprise, I was told "YES!!"

Asked if I could open the trunk and I was told, "you probably shouldn't "

My wife and I sat in it, took some pics, and started to head over to the check out the rest of the car show (which was pretty impressive, especially for being only its second year). The gentleman that let us sit in the car chased us down and told us that he was able to get away from his post for a bit, so he would be happy to show us the car some more.

We spent quite a while over there with the car. Didn't take too many more pictures, because we were so giddy we forgot.

I sat in it with the top up as well. The visibility to the rear is better than I expected with the top up. There is a pretty big blind spot where the buttresses are, but not a whole lot worse than I remember in my Miata. The guy says the mirrors are placed well enough that he doesn't find the blind spots to be a big issue.

Looks like they DO all have the "GM" logo on them. It's not too bad looking, and more importantly it looks like there's no recess for it, so it can be easily removed without leaving a trace behind.

The trunk has some clear plastic on it around the buttress mounting locations to minimize any damage to the finish from wind buffeting, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The window stickers are mostly blank. One of the other cars at the actual show had a similar sticker in the windshield but it had NO numbers where zeros are on these. It also said "for shipping purposes only" on it.

The guy that was showing me the car at the entrance tells me that all of these cars are "captured test cars" meaning that they're headed for Milford, among other places for evaluation. The few people I spoke to today that seemed to know about the car all said start of retail production should be May 31st, for what it's worth.

I apologize for the quality of the close-ups, I had to take those with my digital video cam, since none of my other cameras have the zoom capabilities.

The other cars were cool and envious, both with graphite leather interiors. After seeing both interior colors in the flesh, I'm torn. If the steel/sand were darker (which I'm still hoping for) there would be no question. As it is, the steel/sand looks a little washed out in person, like it's already faded. Reminds me of the trend in blue jeans in the late 80's (acid-washed/stone-washed).

They didn't seem the least bit protective of these cars. They were opening anything and everything, putting the tops up and down for us, and letting anyone who wanted to sit in them. I'm certainly glad I went.

The best thing of all is that it was pretty much my wife's idea to go, since she hadn't yet seen one in person. She's as crazy about that car as I am lately. I think she reads the forum more than I do these days. After we walked away from the first one, she leaned over and told me that it got her a little aroused, so to speak. No question I MUST HAVE THIS CAR!! :jester:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just snapped these two because I found it odd that the cars are shipped with the hoods completely exposed, but the chrome lettering on the decklids is protected... somewhat.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice work

That is some pretty crappy gas mileage!

Thanks for posting all of these pictures. It is pretty exciting to watch all of this come together. Even though I don't get one of the first 1,000, I've got my money down one and am enjoying learning about the whole process that goes into getting a car to market.

Thanks again!

S.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Awsome pictures, I know everyone here will be extremely pleased. Looks like you fit really well with room to spare based on the seat position. And most importantly your right hand lands right on the shifter. Thats good design.

You are the man! :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Solstick said:
Wow! Amazing! Many Thanks!
How did it fit?
Did you see a top operate?
More, more, more!

If fit great. I must say though, that I was on cloud 9 just that I could sit in one. You do feel like you're sitting pretty low, and the high beltline doesn't help. But I'm used to driving a small SUV these days. I'm sure I'll be able to adjust to it :)

Saw the top operate. You do have to latch the butresses individually. Also, if you don't close the header latch before you stow the top, it seems like the trunk doesn't want to close because the top doesn't fold all the way down.

Check out the original few posts for more info... I edited them a few minutes ago.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You are the MAN!! What a great job you did and thanks from all of us. We are all very jealous. How easy was the top to work?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mikefred1952 said:
These are great! Wish they would've let you test drive it too!
As loose as they seemed with the cars, I probably coulda gotten a test drive if I tried hard enough, hung around until the end of the day, and paid a small bribe!

OK, probably not.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gvoeller said:
You are the MAN!! What a great job you did and thanks from all of us. We are all very jealous. How easy was the top to work?
It seemed pretty painless, actually. It didn't look like anyone was fighting it. I saw at least three different people putting it up and down (all GM employees). I probably could have tried it myself if I wanted to, but I was happy just to see someone else do it finally!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
2KWK4U said:
It seemed pretty painless, actually. It didn't look like anyone was fighting it. I saw at least three different people putting it up and down (all GM employees). I probably could have tried it myself if I wanted to, but I was happy just to see someone else do it finally!
So from that I guess you got a pretty good look at the trunk. (Were there go go boots?) Have you ever seen a MR2 or Prowler trunk? If so, how does it compare as far as usable space?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I hate to ask this, but what are your measurements, etc so we can have some kind of comparison? That is IF you don't mind giving them. And you are the only person that we actually have seen in a close-to-production car so far in a pic.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Excelsior said:
I hate to ask this, but what are your measurements, etc so we can have some kind of comparison? That is IF you don't mind giving them. And you are the only person that we actually have seen in a close-to-production car so far in a pic.

Thanks
Don't mind at all. I'm 5'9", 200 lbs with a 32" inseam and 34" waist. My wife is 5'4", and I will respectfully decline to post any more of her measurements. Also note that I had to scoot the seat forward to be comfortable. I would probably move it forward even more than that if I were to autocross it. Also, I had quite a bit of headroom in there with the top up.

·
Premium Member
10,412 Posts
Thanks, great pictures, also at least we know these are NOT production cars but something else. I do hope they start production in May 31st. Since you saw the actual trunk can you say how much cargo you can put in it?.
Thanks again for all the pictures,

1 - 20 of 101 Posts