Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a lot of new pics of our Sly Solstice. There are some pretty cool shots of the car with the cloudy sky reflecting in it.

check it out

SLY SOLSTICE #913

The problem with the top is that the metal latch that comes from the top to the windshield keeps catching on the plastic above it (which is made of a very cheap material). The plastic is acutally bent now. It seems like to top sits to high on the windshield, causing the metal latch to hit the plastic instead of going into the whole and latching.

Here is a pic
Top problem

Anyone else have this problem???? Any fix for it???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stang said:
Nice pics :thumbs: I also like your garage. Is that a little MG?
It is a 1981 Special Edition (Pinifarina (sp???))Fiat Spyder. It will probably be sold to make more room for the Solstice.

·
Registered
224 Posts
try bending the latch, if i understand you correctly.

there have been reports of people moving the latch back to the locked position after lowering the top and the result is a bent latch (hook part).

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Well, it does take a bit of getting used to for putting this top up. One thing that has been mentioned before that I can't overemphasize is that you should not have the windows all the way up when you raise the top. It will push the top too high and make it much more difficult to fasten the latch. (The passenger side is the critical one, since the driver door is usually open when you're raising the top.) Also, in most 'verts, it's natural to raise the top in kind of an arc motion, but since this is a folding top, it should be pulled straight forward as you close it. When it gets to the point of meeting the windshield frame, give it an extra push (and possibly a wiggle), which will seat it properly by starting the alignment pins into their respecitve holes. There might be more specific problems with the alignment on yours, but keep in mind this top is a bit trickier than some and may take a while to master.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
red61985,
The problem isn't with the plastic, it's a problem with how the top is put down. I had the same problem with mine after I incorrectly put the top down the first time. When you unlatch the top, leave the handle in the unlatched position. DO NOT PLACE THE HANDLE IN THE POSITION IT WAS IN WHEN THE TOP WAS LATCHED!! If the handle is stowed in the latched position, the hook for the top hits the catch for the trunk lid when the top is put down. Then you close the trunk it torques the hook upward and bends it out of alignment. Your dealer can fix the hook alignment very easily. I bent mine so bad that I had to use a piece of thin rope to pull the hook down so I could latch the top. It's an easy mistake since it just seems natural to put the latch back in the original position (it also goes against my anal personality to leave it in the open position) but that is what needs to be done. The bent plastic on my car went back to it's original position after a few weeks. Talk to your dealer, I'm certain they can get this fixed for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
More Top Trouble

More 'top' trouble. When I was trying to pull the top from the trunk a few days ago, I found that the top was caught and would not fully extend to the front windshield so that I could latch it. Upon further investigation I found that the problem was in a small plastic part that I really do not know the name of. This small part that came loose works like a ball and socket. It screws onto an arm and allows the arm to attach to a piece of metal with a ball on the end of it. It looks like this piece will be a problem for everyone eventually. I have talked with my dealer to see about keeping this small plastic part in stock for me when I need another one. At least GM had the foresight to keep the arm and the plastic end separate from the rest of the top so they could be replaced. Has anyone else had this trouble yet?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Mactown said:
More 'top' trouble. When I was trying to pull the top from the trunk a few days ago, I found that the top was caught and would not fully extend to the front windshield so that I could latch it. Upon further investigation I found that the problem was in a small plastic part that I really do not know the name of. This small part that came loose works like a ball and socket. It screws onto an arm and allows the arm to attach to a piece of metal with a ball on the end of it. It looks like this piece will be a problem for everyone eventually. I have talked with my dealer to see about keeping this small plastic part in stock for me when I need another one. At least GM had the foresight to keep the arm and the plastic end separate from the rest of the top so they could be replaced. Has anyone else had this trouble yet?
Nope, but it would be cool if you could snap a pic or two of the offending part so we know what you're talking about for future reference.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mactown said:
It sounds like this is the same part someone else reported problems with in this thread a while back.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5045

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mactown said:

I reported a similar problem. The ball on the end of the rod snaps back into the plastic socket. Mine kept popping out when I put the top down. When I took it back to the dealer to have him fix it, I could not get it to pop out. It hasn't happened since. Someone said that there is a snap ring in the socket and maybe it had to seat itself.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Mactown said:
Yep, that is the same part that I am having problems with.
And it is very likely that it isn't seating into the snap ring, or that the snap ring is damaged.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This car has a lot of plastic parts. Let's hope the larger dealers start stocking the plastic most likely to give trouble rather than ordering each failed item from a GM warehouse. It would save a lot of delay and extra trips. They are making a nice profit on the solstice sales.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
red61985 said: "It is a 1981 Special Edition (Pinifarina (sp???))Fiat Spyder. It will probably be sold to make more room for the Solstice."

To help you out, it's PinanFarina. They also designed a lot of Ferraris, as well as the Cadillac Allante. Their best designer was Georgetto Giugiaro, who left and started Ital Design. That company has designed many Bugattis, VW Jetta, DeLorean, so so many beautiful cars. His son is a designer with the company also, I hope he inherited the talent.

How much for the 1981 PinanFarina?

Nice pictures! ! !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts