Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK it was only half a block but still very cool. I got to New York at 9am, jumped off the ferry, walked across 12th Ave and low-and-behold they are unloading the Solstice from a truck behind the convention hall :cool:

Driver said it was taken last night to Fox news studio in NY for a piece on the car show. No ropes so I could walk right up to it and lean right in for some real clear pics (no he wouldn't let me sit in it).

I hung around while they waited for the convention guys to come and drive the car inside (there was also a Caddy XLR supercharged on the same truck).

It was the silver with steel/sand interior. Silver looked great in person in normal outside light.

It was very strange seeing the Solstice moving on the road!!! I went around the corner on 38th St and watched it come around the corner and up a ramp into the hall. It's road presence is amazing, very wide and low stance, looks much wider than a Miata on the road, more like a Boxster or something like that.

It was hard to hear the exhaust because the XLR was louder. I did catch the sound as it went up the ramp and sounded good, not as deep and loud as the XLR but still nice.

I've uploaded 11 pictures into the gallery under "unclassified".
http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3017

I have about half of them in higher-res if anyone wants one send me a PM with e-mail address (I had to crank the higher res ones down a notch to fit in upload 1600x1200).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
mceb - good catch! Was this the first time you saw the Solstice in person? Tell me what your thoughts were as you were looking at the car. Did you see anything exceptionally different than you thought? I bet you still have a smile on your face!!!! You should have asked him to put the top up!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
todd_raleigh said:
mceb - good catch! Was this the first time you saw the Solstice in person? Tell me what your thoughts were as you were looking at the car. Did you see anything exceptionally different than you thought? I bet you still have a smile on your face!!!! You should have asked him to put the top up!!!!
I've seen it a couple of times at cars shows (NYC 2004, Philly 2005) but watching it in traffic was real nice. The biggest difference was the wide stance on the road which I never really got from looking at it on a stand.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Great job, mceb. It certainly does have 'presence' on the street. That bus is pushing the 1000lb towing capacity, however. Once again, the Easter Beagle comes through with candy.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I haven't seen it in person - yet! I'll probably get my first chance when my own Solstice (VIN #1, of course) comes to my dealer!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Bah, the Solstice road stance isn't very big, compared to that bus behind it of course. :D hehehe it looks awesome.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
AHHH... I want one...

Those humps on the rear-deck lid really are icing on the cake. It wouldn't be the same without them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It almost looks like if that cool guy with the handlebar mustache opened the passenger door, it would scrape the ground like the bus behind it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
good point....how high is a curb? hold on. I'll go outside and measure the one my street.......(talk among yourselves!).....ok, i'm back....its 6 inches (give or take a little)! The ground clearance on the Solstice is 4.9"......add a few inches for the lower body trim....pretty close... be careful where you let people in/out of the car!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Quick work with the cam! Odds of seeing a Solstice on the street this early is about the same as finding a $100 green back in your front lawn! :yesnod: :yesnod:

·
Registered
288 Posts
PAS22 said:
Quick work with the cam! Odds of seeing a Solstice on the street this early is about the same as finding a $100 green back in your front lawn! :yesnod: :yesnod:
Like he said, they were unloading it for the car show. Not exactly a coincidence.

Thanks for sharing the pics! I can't wait to get my hands on a mysterious black one with black leather interior.

·
4,592 Posts
Mmmmmmmmm......buyers remorse is setting in, hehehehe

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
slowandlow said:
the olny thing they should have done is put the key on the dash not on the steering colom.
Agreed. My Benz has it on the dash, and it looks classy.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts