Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

what do you think the future is for gm & solstice in 2010 (five year anniv. of sol)

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
heres a new poll while everyone waits for their solstices.
p.s. I have made the poll so you can choose more than one choice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I voted for options 7, 8, 9. Knowing GM they will either perfect it then discontinue it (see fiero, allante etc.) , or improve it with a better engine, or finally get an anniversary version with a few minor superficial changes(see 50th anniv. corvette). I would sort of hope for an unlisted option, where they really improve the platform and car (lighten it up to 2500 like the miata) get the rumored turbo engine etc., add some higher end electronics like dvd navagation and "magnetic ride control" as options. etc. I didnt even list this option as I actually think its unlikely they will improve it that much (even though I think they should)!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Electric Solstice...

I believe that the solstice by 2010 will be at the very least a hybrid. By then we should have enough HP out of electric motors affordable at the consumer level that GM will put this into mass production for their hottest selling vehicles...such as the solstice.

:yesnod:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
In five years not much will probably change. High HP sport coupe, slightly diferrent styling maybe. Hillary Clinton in the White House. :( :lol:

·
5,600 Posts
By 2010 (5 years) the Solstice will be subtantially unchanged. I think GM will give it a 10-year run before restyling, as with the F-bodies. They can't beat the styling so whatever they come up with next will be a disappointment. Hopefully I will own 2 before then (one to drive into the ground and one to preserve).

What remains to be seen is if GM redesigns the top and fuel cell to maximize trunk room in the existing car. Because the biggest change in the 2016 Solstice will be a much bigger trunk.

I have no faith in GM not to screw up the revised Solstice. So I am excited about this one, fanny-pack sized trunk and all.

·
Registered
78 Posts
GM and Harrier will enter into a joint venture.. the Solstice will hover.. and wheels will be optional (cosmetic only)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
OK. A Jamacan lady psychic told me this for just $4 a minute:
1. There will always be a GM just as there will always be a Ma Bell. (You can still buy a Kaiser/Willys if you've got the bucks. They call them a Hummers)
2 & 4. Gut feeling is that Buick will be gone. But Pontiac is still on the bubble. I'd say it's even money which one won't be around in 2010. Kappas will exist, though as Sky, Solstice and Cadillac's to be named later car.
3. Half my 401K is in oil stocks!
5. One of the advantages of hydroformed cars is the relative ease and lower cost of retooling. To fix the trunk/fuel tank issue will require a 3"-6" stretch behind the seats, prompting a more extensive re-design.
6 & 8. Diffinately will have more (brighter) colors. Recent pictures of the Willington lot look like a scene from the movies Sin City, all black and white except for the blood red. Or Schendler's List.
7. Solstice will only be discontinued when Chevy (GM's original "back to basics" brand) has a Kappa, sometime after 2010.
9. Five years is a little early for an anniversary edition.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
9. Five years is a little early for an anniversary edition.

well saturn has had a few 'speicial edition models' in its short history. As i recall they were nothing more than a speicial color and badging. Thats why i decided for that poll option.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
GM will lose sight of affordability

I figure it will be the same with a mild restyling and new colors, but I see it getting more expensive. It will move ever farther away from "back to basics" and out of reach of the market it is in right now. I see it getting equipped better, but heavier at the same time. I fear that the first year will be the best year for the "bang for the buck" quotient.

Hope I'm wrong, though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2KWK4U,
I hope not about the price increases. At least they should keep to the 20k base price. add options and it easily comes to 24k. I think to most people even 20k for a car is a lot of $. As I remember low 20k's could buy you a v8 version of the camaro ,firebird or mustang in the mid 90's. Now that gas and other prices are going up, they are pricing themselves out of the market if they start trying to get above the mid 20k's into the 30k's.

·
Registered
600 Posts
2KWK4U said:
I figure it will be the same with a mild restyling and new colors, but I see it getting more expensive. It will move ever farther away from "back to basics" and out of reach of the market it is in right now. I see it getting equipped better, but heavier at the same time. I fear that the first year will be the best year for the "bang for the buck" quotient.

Hope I'm wrong, though.
You're probably right. Most manufacturers go for the buck and forget why they built the car in the first place. I hope the Solstice will be an exception!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
<theme to REO Speedwagon's "Dreamweaver" in background...>

March 14, 2010 - Kappa Prime One, the second generation of the Kappa architecture is introduced.

Featuring the GM Solstice Perihelion (no nameplates exist - it's just GM. GM has consolidated all dealer resources into one network with renegotiated franshise terms, after nearly going bankrupt in 2008.)

All GM vehicle monikers start with GM, a "brand" and the vehicle "name".

You will be able to order your car online, for a 5% discount off MSRP if you order it drive undriven, and have the option to pick it up at the assembly plant.

If you go to GM Automotive Outlet Store (formerly dealership), you can test drive one, however, you no longer get your discount, and you can't pick your car up at the plant. However, you still get the great treatment that is expected from a GM Automotive Outlet Store.

The 2010 Solstice Perihelion has "evolved" architecture based off it's predecesor, the Gen I Kappa, (formerly) Pontiac Solstice. The 2010 Solstice Perihelion features a hi-output next generation SIDI gasoline 4-cylinder model, an optional turbo version of the 4 cylinder engine, and a stout 3.0-liter HO SIDI V-6. Rumors of a 3.0-L SIDI Twin Turbo V-6 with over 325 hp have been overheard, but GM is remaining mum.

The 2010 Solstice Perihelion features 22% stiffer structure for the convertible, 38% stiffer structure for the retractable hardtop version, and a whopping 88% increase in structural stiffness for the notchback coupe - and with a mere increase of only 65 structural pounds over it's predecessor.

<fade out music>

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Well crap then, I'm waiting till 2010 to get my GM Solstice Perihelion twin-turbocharged V6. :D

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
You will be able to order your car online, for a 5% discount off MSRP if you order it drive undriven, and have the option to pick it up at the assembly plant.
Those not taking delivery of their cars at the plant are encouraged to donate the UPS shipping crate to Habitats for Humanity.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
To satisfy the wide and diverse desires of potential Solstice owners, the 2010 Solstice will be available in many different trim level with a wide choice of engines and transmissions.

Body styles will be the regular softtop convertable, a hardtop convertable, a fixed roof coupe, a targa coupe, a fastback fixed roof coupe, a 2+2 fastback coupe for bigger families, and a CUV (Car Utility Vehicle) with a 4 inch suspension raise, bigger tires, and a 4wd system offering full-time all wheel drive as well as low gearing for people in bad climates, and off roaders.

Engine choices will be just as varried. 2.2L 4 cyl ecotec hybrid good for 50+ MPG, the 2.4L ecotec, supercharged and turbocharged versions of that 2.4L (yes, both), all three high feature V6's, the 2.8L, 2.8L turbocharged, and 3.6L, and finally at the top is an LS2 V8. Possibility of adding the LS7 is also being considered, but it may not make it due to availability issues of that hand built motor which will see plenty of duty in Corvette's, SSR's, as well as the reinstated Zeta RWD vehicles. V8 cars will also feature all aluminum frame structures and body panels for reduced weight.

Convenience options will range from basic power ammenities up to HUD, NAV, upgraded interior dashboard materials and custom leather and dash colors, magnetic ride suspension, HID headlights, LED taillights, traction and stability control any many many more.

Prices will range from $23,000 (due to inflation) for a base Solstice to $99,095 for the all aluminum LS7 equipped Solstice (if produced, $89,990 for an LS2) with full custom interior materials and all available options. :lol:

With that diversity, the Sol should finally meet everyone'e expectations!

Or, more likely, the Sol will be mostly the same by 2010 with just some minor cosmetic freshening and refining of the design, and of course a higher output engine option. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts