Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
121 - 140 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
But we're not talking a lengthy conversion, it's just swapping parts, without any permanent modifications. Less than a hour each way. Worth the versatility to me.
It's going to take longer than an hour the very fist time. You think everything will line up perfectly every time? Think about the gaps between the parts. Let's not forget about the electrical wiring. Norm, please chime in and tell people how involved this process is. A few hours at least if you care at all about lining it up properly and making the gaps all the way around even. You better have at least another person helping you too. This is not a one person type of job.

When I had my Porsche Boxster, I bought a similar top that made my car look like a Cayman. Bolt on and removal of the rear trunk. It worked the same way. Let me tell you, it was heavy, and a PITA to switch out when ever you felt like it. These types of top are for leaving on for long periods of time. Not for switching out every other day. Like I said, it's better to leave them on for the season. Or great if you want one for road course racing.

·
Registered
405 Posts
It's going to take longer than an hour the very fist time. You think everything will line up perfectly every time? Think about the gaps between the parts. Let's not forget about the electrical wiring. Norm, please chime in and tell people how involved this process is. A few hours at least if you care at all about lining it up properly and making the gaps all the way around even. You better have at least another person helping you too. This is not a one person type of job.
I disagree, When I did it, it took two people, about a half hour, to remove the rear deck and install the replacement roof. Electrical wiring??? Maybe one wiring clip for glass hatch release.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I disagree, When I did it, it took two people, about a half hour, to remove the rear deck and install the replacement roof. Electrical wiring??? Maybe one wiring clip for glass hatch release.
When you did it? These aren't available yet.

Electrical, yes, I'm talking about the stupid XM Radio wiring for the antenna stuck on the trunk lid. How did you detach and re-attach it every time within half an hour? I think this all could be swapped out in a few hours, but not if you need to connect the XM antenna every time.

How do the gaps look? How many adjustments did it take to line it up perfectly?

·
Registered
405 Posts
It was with another vendors similar top. I haven't used the XM radio since the initial offer ended and that top did not have an opening hatch. The cable for the buttress release/XM clip folded into the cavity behind the trunk. Adjustment was not an issue, and the multiple attachment points almost make it self centering.

·
Registered
122 Posts
He is talking about Chris Nekoo's (spelling) top i presume. Supposed to be very quick, like 30 tops with 2 people. His top is cool but the side view does not do it for me. I don't use XM either. Norm will find a way to make it rather painless for sure. If it takes more than an hour to switch out i will be surprised.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
He is talking about Chris Nekoo's (spelling) top i presume. Supposed to be very quick, like 30 tops with 2 people. His top is cool but the side view does not do it for me. I don't use XM either. Norm will find a way to make it rather painless for sure. If it takes more than an hour to switch out i will be surprised.
I see.

Yes, I agree, not a fan of NanKoon's top.

I looked at the cords for the XM radio. I don't use my XM either. I can't see any way of disconnecting them without removing the grey carpet-like material from under the trunk. Hope it is as easy as everyone is making it sound.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
You must of used bolt cutter to cut all the cable in the trunk harness and a sawzall to chop the hinges in order to remove the trunk lid in 1/2 hour....
Here is what-your-up-to speedy just on the harness :rolleyes::
:)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yes, Red Devil, you do need to remove the carpet-like trim panel. It is attached with reusable clips. Once it is removed everything unclips (no bolt cutters or sawzall required, very funny Marvic1:)) and feeds out of the rear deck via the access hole and the entire assembly, as in Marvic1's photo, coils up in the hinge cavity at the back of the trunk, still attached to the car but not the decklid. When switching back to the decklid from the roof I just fed it back through the access hole reattached the rubber tube like grommet with plastic protector and clipped everything back in place. It really was rather quick and easy, 1/2 hour, maybe 45 minutes at the out side.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Found some photos of norm's "racing" version hardtop installed
Looks nice! I see a few fitment issues along the rear side quarter panel but I saw that Norm said he was still working on fixing these issues. Can't wait to see it. Glad I don't have the factory spoiler on my rear bumper. Mine is on the rear deck lid. ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a Smoothline top & would purchase Norm's top in a second it's available. I live in Fl & found I like leaving the top on even though the weather is nice. Wonder what the Coupe guys are thinking about this top if available (will my vehicle lose value). I wonder how Norm will handle the curve of the door glass.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It looks great. I would be tempted to make that a permanent change on my 06 na.
I agree. If the back window opens as I believe it will, I would do a permanent install, remove the convertible mechanism and refinish the trunk space. I even like the look of the rivets on the side window.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hmm I was thinking that maybe he might just remove the small side window and make it just curve along the window??

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,584 Posts
Glad I don't have the factory spoiler on my rear bumper. Mine is on the rear deck lid. ;)
I saved those pictures to show to people who don't understand the issue of "double-duckbill" spoilers. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I am now very glad I decided NOT to put that orphan factory spoiler on my bumper cover. :dthumbs:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,584 Posts
I agree. If the back window opens as I believe it will, I would do a permanent install, remove the convertible mechanism and refinish the trunk space. I even like the look of the rivets on the side window.
That's my plan. Permanent replacement of the soft top.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I have a Smoothline top & would purchase Norm's top in a second it's available. I live in Fl & found I like leaving the top on even though the weather is nice. Wonder what the Coupe guys are thinking about this top if available (will my vehicle lose value). I wonder how Norm will handle the curve of the door glass.
Owners with REAL COUPE top don't have to worry because they still have the luxury of removing the center part, which this aftermarket top will not do. Keep that in mind.:yesnod:

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
That's my plan. Permanent replacement of the soft top.
It's a great option, but one of my prime reasons for purchasing a KAPPA was to own a ragtop.
I would get claustrophobic if it was a hardtop 12 months of the year. Unless the center part was removable like the hardtop. :yesnod:

121 - 140 of 292 Posts