Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
I ordered two sets not knowing the passenger seat would not accept the lumbar support.
On the contrary, this setup works JUST FINE on the passenger side. In fact better than the driver side (unless you fill in the void on the driver side first - see below - in which case it's the same).

I think your thought is that there's the void in the back of the cushion on the driver side and that void is not there for the bladder to 'sit in' on the other side. Again, that's void is just a hindrance and gives less for the bladder to push against. I actually filled mine in with a piece of foam sculpted to match the hole :)

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Yes that is what I thought. I just assumed that the cut out in the back of the seat was for the lumbar support to fit into. Figured Pontiac was gonna put one in & then changed their mind. I followed the "How To" instructions but don't remember seeing anything about filling in the void. I cut the metal support plate bigger than the original dimension, centered the bladder and installed. I did bend the cross bars hard up against the back of the plate to help keep pressure against it so it wouldn't give. The support seems to me like its working because I feel the back stiffen up. Live and learn. Thanks for the info! My wife said she didn't think she needed one on her side.

·
Super Moderator
15,999 Posts
I am getting a new bottom driver's seat foam installed along with the lumbar support next week by a local trim shop. I live in a condo and don't have a work shop or tools for doing mods. My original plan was to have JPM fix my "saggy seat" and install the lumbar support at the Nationals. When I reached out to JPM they told me they would not be attending. Joe at JPM gave me the low down on the "saggy seat". The deficit is on 2006 & 2007 models. GM fixed it in models 2008 on. Therefore the fix is to by a new foam seat cushion. I purchased one of last Lumbar kits from JPM as you know from this thread. I then called Tom at Crate Engine and purchased the 2008 on foam cushion replacement. Will update next week when work is done.:thumbs:
OK

NS I have to give you credit. You actually taught me something I did not know. I have the driver's seat from an 09 I bought from Source One years ago. I can pull the seat cushion from it and install it on Punisher!

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
OK

NS I have to give you credit. You actually taught me something I did not know. I have the driver's seat from an 09 I bought from Source One years ago. I can pull the seat cushion from it and install it on Punisher!

Oh my god! I feel like I just graduated from Harvard.:willy: To teach something to Rib the Elder!!!!!!:lol: i feel like I just got my PhD in mods. Hopefully it will not be taken away from me as it was Joe at JPM that told me about the newer model seat cushion fix. Northern Sol PhD......I like the sound of that.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
My car is from June 2007. In that month MY2007 and MY2008 cars where built. Is there a chance I have the new cushion ? Is there a way to recognize the faulty or new cushions ?
If your seat is "saggy" then you have an old one. The new one feels much firmer.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Thanks Northern Sol

Sorry to say, but that does not really help. I like the seat, but maybe my expectations are too low and the seat could be way better. So I was looking for a solid solution to find out my seat has the old or the new cushion.
My best bet from what I know is that you will have the old seat as I did. Joe at JPM was very clear that the fix / new seat foam was only in models years 2008 on.
My 2007 seat did go "saggy". When I replaced it I found the new seat firmer and tighter. If you really want to dig into it I would suggest going to your dealership and see what part # your existing seat is. If it is different from the one the Tom at Crate Engine has ( see earlier post) then you will know. Good luck.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Thanks, CmcComb1, for sending me your extra items. After I picked up a piece of sheet metal from HomeDepot, it took me all of fifteen minutes to complete this mod. A big thanks to you, and also to all those who contribute to this forum. I'll be enjoying my ride even more (I know, that's hard to believe!)
Wish I had it last weekend when we traveled to Prescott for a long weekend. BUT, next weekend's trip to Tombstone should be a great test.

·
Super Moderator
15,999 Posts
I read that the 2009 seat cushion had improved material. One could certainly use one of them picked up from a recycler.

I dont know if the GT would fit.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Would a cushion from a 2008 (or newer) GT fit on my 2007 Solstice driver seat and solve the saggy seat problem ?
If by "GT" you mean GXP, then, probably, yes.

I read that the 2009 seat cushion had improved material. One could certainly use one of them picked up from a recycler.
2008 were upgraded, according to 'sources' (JPM).

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
I meant GT, as in Opel GT Convertible.
Ahhh, gotcha.

They should be identical, as far as the shape and the mountings, there might be a difference in the finish.
If you're just replacing the cushion, I assume you'll reuse your existing cover - in which case the appearance will be the same. (You could use steam to shrink your current leather, if it has wrinkles.)

If you want to swap the cover as well, the car variants were all made in the same plant with the same materials - so should look the same (if you get the same color). However, the new cover will (obviously) be newer and may therefore look different because of that.

UPDATE: Apologies, DaveOC. I thought those two quotes were from RedOne and so was replying to the same person (in my mind) :)

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I didn't notice any difference between my 06 and 08gxp. Looked into those hand pump inserts but didn't find one I liked so I wound up shoving a small roll of bubble wrap behind the cushion and it solved the problem.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts