Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received Italian Ostrich leather from Hidehouse.com.

Next up, learn to install on all the plastic interior. Dash, doors, visors, waterfall area, pillars. Pretty much if you see plastic in the interior, I wanna cover it (mostly). My boomerang part of the dash I have is not being done.

I was looking at an Italian Croco leather in the color "Arizona" (ironic). Its a good match to the brazen color of the car but I wasn't sure if I would go too over the top having ostrich and croco together. :)

Any helpful tidbits or pictures are appreciate. I received a good amount from NolanB in pictures and info. Thanks.

I don't have much time to complete before Nationals (just around the corner).

Here is the leather. Only a half hide 28 square feet. I hope it's enough. Smoking prices. Both are cowhide printed like ostrich and croco but without the heavy price.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
When you say "cover" does that mean you'll be using gluing the leather to the existing plastic interior parts?

Most of the YT upholstery vids have them starting out with a newly build sub-structure and then sewing and covering panels or sewing and gluing the material to the newly built substructure.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Looks good. Send progress pocs
Ditto on progress pics.

Most of the YT upholstery vids have them starting out with appears to be a hand built new sub-structure and then sewing and stabling the material to it.

However, since most of our interior is already formed plastic I'm assuming it's more about using the plastic as a template and then covering or gluing material to them?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Good luck brotha!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for some I thought I could glue straight to the plastic and some (doors) use a padding for extra comfort. But I'm on the fence.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I was thinking of doing carbonfiber fabric and just using spray adhesive to glue it to the back panels and mybe doors and dash? How well do you guys think it will hold?

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
I'd be tempted to mix in some Alcantara (or even preforated leather) panels to incorporate some different texture/contrast into the overall design.

Basically use different textures to enhance the OEM design.

Check out this Vilner SKY link:
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/images/Saturn/th1/Vilner-Saturn-Sky-3.jpg

Even though I like wild things this is an example of being over styled to me. Only thing missing is dingle ball trim. ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for some I thought I could glue straight to the plastic and some (doors) use a padding for extra comfort. But I'm on the fence.
Personally, I am not sure it will look good with everything in the car covered with that leather. My taste would run to the center parts of the seat and door panels. Covering all the hard plastic I don't think would go well and you would end up regreting it because of the fit and finish.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I think it could work but really you're gonna need a lot more... also if it were me I'd do the center sections of your seats, and lace up your steering wheel (i dunno shooting from the hip here), the other option here is while you have the dash out have a blown mold made of it make a fiber glass version of your dash- then apply the leather to it ( and man YOU WILL LOVE IT)-- it'll be stronger and less noisy than the el cheapo can't clean it too good el stockerino dash!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate the response. Good or bad. If someone has leathered the full interior, do you know how much square footage was used?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts