Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like there is a new racing simulation game coming out in February that will likely have very good driving physics. It's called Forza and will be available for the X-box. From what I read, the game programmers enlisted the help of an Formula 1 engineer from Ferrari to work out the suspension models and engineers from Toyo tires to work out the tire models. This is what they said about the tire model: "Our tire model exhibits pressure, wear, heat, and load sensitivity. Tire friction is also affected by the rubber groove and marbles on the road."

It looks like the game will have about 200 different cars from all the popular manufacturers. They've even tried to match the engine sounds to the vehicles' real world counterparts.

·
Registered
179 Posts
As much as I'm a video game fanboy for any system (or games) OTHER than Sony and it's PS2, Microsofts Forza is just a response to Sony and Gran Turismo 4.

Originally touted to go head to head with Gran Turismo 4 for the most accurate racing simulation available, the video game press has become extremely mum on Forza's development, usually indicating that it is not going to live up to expectations. The few words I hear tossed around here and there indicate the same thing.

Maybe it'll have some cool features, but for now I consider it at best a cheap knock-off of the king of all racing simulations, Gran Turismo.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
There's been several reviews of it, and all of them have had nothing but good words. It's lead developer is the guy that worked on the NFS:Underground series, so he has experience there. Plus at least half of the programmers are actuall SCCA racers. You can get the demo disc now too. It's supposed to be a mix of GT racing simulation and NFS:U customization, plus realistic damage.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rik said:
I wish somebody would come out with a good simulator for PC. I'm still playing EA's F1 2002.
That was my dilemma until my wife asked for an X-box for a dance/exercise game. Once we got the X-Box, it opened the door for me in terms of auto racing simulation games. As far as the PC goes, you could try NFS Porsche Unleashed. I'm not that familiar with all the available racing games, but this one seemed okay for the PC. I don't have a lot to compare it to though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oh and TCL - take a look at Project Gotham Racing 2 for the xBox, it's only like $15-20 bucks and has TONS of cars, new and old. It's more arcade-like, but looks spectacular and I believe some of the developers for that game are part of the Forza team.

Also, Sega GT for the xbox is excellent in terms of variety of cars you can drive, and it can be had for about $10 or less, used, from EB Games. Well worth it!

I HOPE Forza is good, and it's hard to get a good impression of it because everyone who likes the PS2 likes GT while everyone who likes the xBox likes Forza, so people arn't looking at these games fairly at the moment. Demos are out for both games, and again, there are mixed reviews for both.

Personally, if both games have good graphics (which they do) and good physics and sim-like controls (which they do, which is better is arguable), then neither game will suck. I've played GT for years and have always enjoyed the amount of work you had to put into the game to win, the high levels of customization and the general presenation. If Forza can't outdo this, and the games are similar otherwise, I'll consider GT a sure winner.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
naoki said:
Oh and TCL - take a look at Project Gotham Racing 2 for the xBox ...
Yes, I have it. Some of the physics seem pretty good compared to the PC simulations I've used. For example, someone on this forum mentioned that the Honda S2000 has throttle off oversteer. That behavior shows up very distinctly on that car in PG2. Another aspect of the simulation is that the high powered cars have a tendency to break loose dramatically if you don't apply the throttle gradually enough coming out of a turn.

My main complaint about the game is that most of the circuits aren't actual racing venues. Other than Nurburgring, most of them are street courses which I don't believe correspond to actual racing venues.

But again, I don't have experience with that many sim games, so I don't really have a lot to compare it to. If Forza is an improvement over PG2, it will be fine with me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think you'll find Forza is PGR with enhanced graphics (I guess the cars leave their paint on the siderails lap after lap!), more simlike and more options/cars/customization... which seems to be what you're looking for.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Well GranTurismo4 came out yesterday. Picked my copy up after work.
It does have a Solstice in it. However it's the Solstice Coupe Concept. I can understand why they went with that model though, seeing as how they had absolutely no data to build a normal Solstice roadster roof off of at the time. However I'm not sure this was the best of choices. I think it'll kinda end up like the Canadian website issue we have. People are going to see it there and expect it to exist in the real world, or expect that since it's there it will be real sometime soon.

They do list it as a Concept at least. You can't buy it either. You have to win it somehow (I have no clue how though, and none of the strategy guides come out till next week). They also don't list HP or Torque values for it either.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am trapped in PC land too as far as driving games! For the PC, I have enjoyed NFS Underground a lot. I have NFSU2 also, but have not gotten into it yet so I cannot really comment on it. I am trying to finish off the first underground. If NFSU2 is similar to the original (why wouldn't it be?) it should be good too. :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
wow, all you guys are missing out. I strongly suggest you check out Live For Speed for the PC.

It is the best racing simulator for any platform. It's being released in stages (there's only 3 developers), and it's currently in stage 1 (S1) of 3. S2 is going to be released shortly.

In addition to normal tracks there's autox, rallyx, and drag racing. The physics and tire models are fairly accurate but they're getting a big improvement in S2.

None of the cars or tracks are real but they feel more real than any other game IMO. Actually there are currently two real cars. One is a formula sae car and the other is a saab concept car called the raceabout. There's also speculation about a well known rally team sponsoring the game in the future.

Here's a preview movie of the new S2 version.

Another good sim with more money and a larger crew behind it is GTR.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts