Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - we're 8 months into our Solstice Experience. My wife and I have been driving full size vans and 3/4 ton pickups for about 15 years. We knew "things" would change upon getting into the roadster realm and it's been a fun experience.

Saturday she called out "new rule" on our way home from shopping and lunch after I had floated an air biscuit that could have choked a horse. Aside from the usual pride I feel when I cause my bride to gag, I realized that the limited air space in a 2 seater does require different rules, as well as some of the other "conditions" of owning a Solstice.

So I thought, what the heck? Why not start a thread where we can issue the "rules" we've developed during our ownership? Might even prove to be valuable to new members that join.

Add yours to the list!

1. No flatulence.

2. Do not attempt to straddle any road kill larger than a squirrel.

3. Let no one lift your car without pointing out the proper jacking points.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I tell my wife to not touch the car paint when opening the door, just the handle to avoid fingerprints on the paint, especially after washing

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. No flatulence.

4. Open and close the doors by touching the handles only - not the paint.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
5) I will inspect my wife for bangles, bling, jewelry and sharp or pointed objects:devil:. Anything that can scratch the paint or mark the leather must be removed prior to entering the "Sol Zone".

6) To protect myself from my wife for rule number 5 I will always open the door for my wife and I will pack any bags or luggage. She will feel that I am a true gentleman.:willy: The truth is I am a Sol Man!:thumbs:

·
Registered
564 Posts
#7only one of us closes the trunk, not both together

#8 before entering the car, we each must close the softop into it's respected butress after having the trunk open. This of course saves having to run around the car to close both sides.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
#10 Always turn off the daytime running lights when it's sunny outside.
#11 Both windows must be up or down at the same time.
#12 Revving the engine instead of honking the horn IS an appropriate way to get someone's attention.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Okay - we're 8 months into our Solstice Experience. My wife and I have been driving full size vans and 3/4 ton pickups for about 15 years. We knew "things" would change upon getting into the roadster realm and it's been a fun experience.

Saturday she called out "new rule" on our way home from shopping and lunch after I had floated an air biscuit that could have choked a horse. Aside from the usual pride I feel when I cause my bride to gag, I realized that the limited air space in a 2 seater does require different rules, as well as some of the other "conditions" of owning a Solstice.

So I thought, what the heck? Why not start a thread where we can issue the "rules" we've developed during our ownership? Might even prove to be valuable to new members that join.

Add yours to the list!

1. No flatulence.

All of the pointers are great. Item 2 especially, I tried plastic as well and no dice, got hung up at the back so had to pull over to get it off.

also speed bumps or big road irregularities. Have to remember for us both as well coming from a very modified 3/4 ton Bronco and her daily driver a 2010 Subaru Forrester AWD. And the bronco has a soft top, so item 1 tends not to be a big deal with 105+ cu ft interior space and soft top rolled up.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
#9 - Don't tell wife/girlfriend prices we pay for parts :lol:
:lol: Friday night my wife says "I was going through our check register and it looks like about $2,000.00 were spent on the car?" She starts running down the list and I'm answering.

"Wind Restrictor"
"Water pump"
"Polisher, buffing pads and compounds"
"Service manuals"
"Hi-flo cat converter"
"A/C refrigerant"
"Paint for the calipers"
"Additional polishes, scratch removers and tire brushes"

In the end she said she was "good with it" but was just worried someone go ahold of our debit card info. In fact, someone did.....ME!

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay - list to date:

1. No flatulence
4. Open and close the doors by touching the handles only – not the paint.
5. Inspect your wife for bangles, bling, jewelry and sharp or pointed objects. Anything that can scratch the paint or mark the leather must be removed prior to entering the “Sol Zone”.
6. To protect yourself from the wife for rule #5, always open the door and pack any bags or luggage. She will feel that you are a true gentleman, when in reality you are just a “Sol-Man”
7. Only one person closes the trunk at a time – not together.
8. Before entering the car, each must close the soft top buttress after having the trunk open.
9. NEVER tell your better half how much you spend on parts/mods.
10. Always turn off the daytime running lights when it’s sunny outside.
11. Both windows must be up or down at the same time.
12. Revving the engine instead of honking the horn IS an appropriate way to get someone’s attention.
13. When the top is up, always DUCK when entering the car, otherwise you end up damaging the top.
14. Speed bumps, pot holes, and road irregularities must be treated with respect, lest you rearrange the underside of your Sol.

·
Registered
220 Posts
:lol: Friday night my wife says "I was going through our check register and it looks like about $2,000.00 were spent on the car?" She starts running down the list and I'm answering.

"Wind Restrictor"
"Water pump"
"Service manuals"
"Hi-flo cat converter"
"A/C refrigerant"
"Paint for the calipers"

In the end she said she was "good with it" but was just worried someone go ahold of our debit card info. In fact, someone did.....ME!
My wife and I have separate checking accounts and doesn't care to know anything about my car or me talking about my SOL, she just cares about the prices so I keep a few things hidden from her ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
When wife drives either of my cars she is supposed to leave 2 feet in front of the car when parking, that way she doesn't run into the parking curb and rip the front spoiler.

·
Registered
848 Posts

"Wind Restrictor"
"Water pump"
"Service manuals"
"Hi-flo cat converter"
"A/C refrigerant"
"Paint for the calipers"

Keep in mind though, if she is like my wife, I could also review her list:

facial
massage
nails
hair coloring
hair cutting
found the cutest pair of heels
lunch with gal pals

She pays her card off every month, I pay mine, so we're good.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
06 - bought my brother-in-law a sweatshirt for Christmas a few years ago. "My wife let's me have all the snowmobiles I can hide." He had started the "vintage" racing craze - fixing up older machines and racing them. He also started intercepting UPS deliveries and the credit card bills in the mail!

Shado - I feel for you on the "other list" but that's not my wife's style. She is, however, also good on paying off the debt or better yet, saving up before buying!

Gotta add 06's "two foot rule" to the list. Will get that later today.

·
Super Moderator
7,552 Posts
Aside from not understanding why rule 1 is even needed, I can go along with the whole list, except for number 10. I live in an area with a lot of tree-canopied roads and, when going in and out of the shadows at high speed in a dark car, I want every advantage I can get. My DRLs are always on, and frequently my fog lights are too.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Impulse buying is alright, but not if it is a bag of lawn fertilizer that will have to ride home on Diane's lap.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts