Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and thanks for having me on your forums, I got a sweet deal on an 07 GXP with 122k miles. It is in rough shape body wise and a few things I am slightly concerned with mechanically. I am looking for suggestions on how to get it back into proper shape. I do plan on autocrossing with it.

Here are my goals right now:
-New battery (Totally dead)
-Oil change
-Coolant change
-Transmission fluid change
-Differential fluid change
-Spark plugs
-Air filter
-Replace cam actuators (Throwing p0013)
-MAYBE brakes (maybe a big brake upgrade)

Here are my long term plans:
-RPM stage 3 kit (Hiflow cat, charge tube, upgraded k04, tune)
-RPM intercooler
-3Bar map sensor
-Big Brake kit
-Braces/sway bars

Here are my questions:
-Best manual transmission oil/fluid?
-Best differential oil/fluid?
-What spark plugs should I get if I am going to tune it?
-What could be causing a rhythmic vibration of the whole car (fine for a second, then shaking for a second, repeats indefinitely)? Idle is not rough.
-I hear a rattling ish sound that I have never heard anything similar before, I will have to take a video of it, but do the tensioners/pulleys sound different when they go bad/rust as opposed to most other cars? It kinda sounds like it is coming from the belt system.
-What else should I be looking out for in a car that has literally sat for a year without driving/cranking?

·
Premium Member
10,283 Posts
Just use the fluids you can purchase from a GM dealer as seen on your owners manual.
Use the same Delco plugs listed on your manual.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Welcome to the forum... don't forget new belts and hoses.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all of the warm welcomes.

So I know with my Taurus SHO, everyone recommends different plugs with a different gap if you have upgrades and a tune, this isn't the case with the solstice gxp?

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
Thank you for all of the warm welcomes.

So I know with my Taurus SHO, everyone recommends different plugs with a different gap if you have upgrades and a tune, this isn't the case with the solstice gxp?
If you have a tune you should use what is recommended by the tuner. Otherwise the stock setup is quite effective.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The stock brakes are very adequately sized on these cars, unless you have money to spend for the sake of upgrades, just upgrade to a better pad (I run EBC yellow) and change/keep an eye on fluid level as it will slosh out of the stock reservoir over time. It's not bad enough that it's a huge concern in AutoX, but if you ever end up on track you'll want to install the extended reservoir or just make a custom one.

If you do Facebook, look up the KappaCross group. There's a lot of frivolous photo sharing, but also some decent conversation among those of us that enjoy hitting cones at speed with our "guaranteed future collectible" cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts