Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just took position of a 2009 Street edition with 26,000 miles. I'm the second owner, the first (wife's car) kept it garaged since new and only used it on special occasions.

It is replacing a Audi A4 Cabriolet that I enjoyed tremendously. Looking forward to a long and fulfilling relationship with the solstice.

Not sure at this time if I will make any mods other than maybe a little dyno mat here and there.

McDoug

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Congrats! Pictures???

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the welcome.

As I understand it the PKG included some different suspension pieces, a unique Vin code and limited production run of 500 but only 138 built and other things, unfortunately it has the base engine with no enhancements.

McDoug

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Checkenwire - I like you and imagine we would get along well.

Warrenhotrod1 - Not this year, that is when I am moving back to the Cape Cod, maybe next year.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
The Street Edition was just another marketing attempt 'special' package - GM was always doing this sort of thing with colours or other options not available for the normal cars, so that people would view them as being collectible and buy them. It often failed to work - they'd set a 500 (or whatever) limit on the edition and it usually failed to sell out, making the cars rarer than they had planned, which probably suited the people that bought them just fine.

I have a copy of the Street Edition brochure and the following is copied and pasted from that. The differences between that and a stock NA were (and remember that this comes from a brochure and that GM didn't always follow up with what they said in practice on every single car):

Unique Features
• Black heritage stripe on hood and decklid
• Black headlamp bezels
• Black GXP style front grilles
• Z0K racing-inspired suspension

Includes Solstice standard
equipment plus:
• Brazen Orange Metallic exterior color
• Ebony leather seating surfaces
• Sport pedals
• 6-disc in-dash AM/FM/CD changer
• 7-speaker premium sound system
• Air conditioning
• Carpeted floor mats
• Preferred Package
• Convenience Package
• Premium Package

Pricing
With manual transmission: $29,310*
With automatic transmission: $30,305*
Optional rear spoiler: $275 MSRP

Basically an NA but with GXP trim and suspension (NA ZOK = GXP standard) and some rather nice wheels, which I use on my coupe because I think they were the best looking stock wheels of the ones offered and early exposure to the coupe publicity photos showing them left me unsatisfied when I couldn't buy them on a coupe!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Actually though Bill, a lot of that stuff WAS available on Non-Street Edition models so if you add up the value on the "unique Features", I don't the the options are worth the additional cost. I do like the stripe, the suspension and the wheels and sure, but they should have tweaked the HP / torque a bit.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Of course - that was their plan - send someone out to grab various already available bits from the parts bins and shuffle them up in a way that they could say the result was unique and desirable.

As far as tweaking power - they never did that on any 2.4 and wouldn't - it wasn't cheap and easy to get any significant amount of power out of them and without results it would have been too obvious that it was nothing but window dressing.

Take a look at their intake packages for 'cold air' (which it didn't provide) made up to seem like a performance thing, and marketed that way (as a Performance Air Intake) but resulting in zero BHP on the GXP (ironically, there was apparently a slight improvement on the NA).

Equivalent 'special packages' for Sky would be Carbon Flash and Ruby Red paint schemes

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the editional (sic) attention!

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
The street edition is a very nice looking vehicle. Many have purchased the wheels because they looked so nice. The limited edition Solstices are nice to have ie: SCCA Na and GXP editions and heritage editions. Not a lot of any of them around and are nice to see occasionally. Yes it usually was just a dress up option but did make them unique and nice looking editions. Hopefully more will come out from hiding and be at our events. I remember when Pontiac was forced out of business the dealer I bought my car from had around 30 Solstices. There were at least four street editions in the inventory and everything sold but I seldom see a street edition at our MKC events. Can't remember seeing one at any of the six National events I've attended. Congrats McDoug for having a very nice ride. Enjoy

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.