Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 45k out of the original Goodyear Eagle RSA's...good riddance. I got almost twice that out of the BFG All-Terrains on my truck...the way the roads are around here, I was tempted. But I finally decided on General G-Max AS03's for the Solstice, though I had to wait all winter before I could try them out.
Sunny, 60, dry on the 1/2-hour drive home last night. If not for a bunch of cops at strategic locations, I would've pushed a little harder. The tires felt good, though I want to experiment with pressures.
The overnight thunderstorms continue this morning, so it's dark, 40, and very wet. I pushed a little, with no indication of loss of traction, even with a few puddles.
The Generals' tread pattern is very different from the Goodyears'...obviously more effective in the wet. And they seem grippy enough in this cool weather, so I expect good performance when we get our traditional hot and humid few weeks. Only time will tell about tire life, but so far, a good buy. :thumbs:

cm

·
Registered
350 Posts
keep an eye on pressures and rotations.

Had them on a camry v6 and they were replaced at 30k. Hard driving and only one rotation and not much attention to pressure. They needed to be rebalanced at almost 20k. Was attempting to rebalance them at almost 30k when one had a bad belt and wobbled on the balancer as well. Explained the steering wheel wobble.

·
Registered
100 Posts
What tires would this forum recommend? Xtinc is approaching the time to change tires. The stock Goodyears have been ok so far, but I'm all for a change that would improve my handling and performance on the street, i.e. cornering and every once in a while high-speed!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll have to choose new tires based on your driving. For you guys down south, some high-performance 'summer' tires might suit you best, although this last winter seemed to affect a bigger portion of the country than usual.
I thought the Goodyears were slippery. I was not happy when I spun out just making a corner on wet pavement...neither was the guy behind me. I did some research at tirerack.com, and asked a local tire guy before I decided on the Generals. I don't drive on a track, and I start driving the Solstice after the roads have been rained on (to rinse the salt off) until it starts to snow...6-7 months. I drive mostly on country roads, with an occasional highway trip.
I put some sticky Dunlops on a Porsche 914 that I have yet to try, but that car is much lighter than a Solstice, and the tires are significantly narrower.
Good luck.

cm

·
Registered
350 Posts
There are tons of recommendations in various price ranges and tread.

I love potenzas re050A and continental extreme contact DW. Both are summer only performance tires as I live in the south. I was not impressed with the general as03 and some of that was my fault.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I got 45k out of the original Goodyear Eagle RSA's...good riddance. I got almost twice that out of the BFG All-Terrains on my truck...the way the roads are around here, I was tempted. But I finally decided on General G-Max AS03's for the Solstice, though I had to wait all winter before I could try them out.
Sunny, 60, dry on the 1/2-hour drive home last night. If not for a bunch of cops at strategic locations, I would've pushed a little harder. The tires felt good, though I want to experiment with pressures.
The overnight thunderstorms continue this morning, so it's dark, 40, and very wet. I pushed a little, with no indication of loss of traction, even with a few puddles.
The Generals' tread pattern is very different from the Goodyears'...obviously more effective in the wet. And they seem grippy enough in this cool weather, so I expect good performance when we get our traditional hot and humid few weeks. Only time will tell about tire life, but so far, a good buy. :thumbs:

cm
How's the ride and noise level?

·
Registered
350 Posts
How's the ride and noise level?
No issues nor noise with either Re050a or the DW. The RE050a do not squeal when I spin them either. The DWs squeal a little louder. The stock GY eagle F1s squeal like a dying pig everytime I roast them. Sometimes I love the noise if I want to get the attention of someone doing something I do not like, but normally annoying as I get too much attention. Picked up a nail in the DW in first week, but no issues with repair either.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@SkyPilot:
Ride is good...I'm running 35psi. I haven't noticed any noise, and they don't pick up little stones, either.
I think I'm about ready for some suspension upgrades...

cm

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thanks for posting your tires. I am getting ready to purchase these generals as well. I was also looking at the Firestone firehawk oval Indy 500 but the generals performed better in every category.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I made an 800-mile trip last month down to Terre Haute and back, when it was quite warm, and observed no issues from country-city-interstate speeds and conditions w/ 27-28 mpg. I've since dropped the pressure to 32, and haven't noticed any abnormal wear. I usually rotate tires when I do an oil change, which probably won't be until fall, when I put the car away.
So far, these things are way better than the RSA's.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I made an 800-mile trip last month down to Terre Haute and back, when it was quite warm, and observed no issues from country-city-interstate speeds and conditions w/ 27-28 mpg. I've since dropped the pressure to 32, and haven't noticed any abnormal wear. I usually rotate tires when I do an oil change, which probably won't be until fall, when I put the car away.
So far, these things are way better than the RSA's.
How is the road noise? Some people said the road noise is loud compared to the OE's. I also just realized you aren't too far from my location. Do these tires handle cooler weather ok? I put ours away but sometimes it goes out when temps are in the 40's.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
I have a set of Dunlop Sport Maxxs on mine they are a summer performance tire as I have no need for an all season type tire .No noticeable tire noise , good ride,grippy, and I was really impressed with the way they handle in the rain .I always got good wear out of the Dunlops I had on some of my other cars so I expect these to be the same anything is better then the Goodyears these cars came with .

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't notice any road noise from the tires. Between the engine, traffic and wind noises...it's a convertible, after all.
I see 30's and 40's early in the morning in spring and fall...even this month has been getting cool most nights. I like them.
Dunlop Sport Maxx is what I put on the other little black sports car, but I haven't been able to get it started yet...typical.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The sports max were in the running too but the generals won out. I wanted to be on the safe side just in case the car comes out early or gets put away late and the weather isn't on par for summer only tires. These OE's won't even get up my drive in 2" of snow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts