Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been previous posts on this but nothing recent that I can find. Spring is either here or very close for most of us and since Spring is tire rebate time, I would like tire suggestions as I am still running original factory tires (please, no negative comments or lecture on this). For my own purpose, my vehicle is the N/A and I am not a fast driver although I do like fast cornering with the vehicle fully gripping the road. I am looking for a tire that would be durable and economical, more so than performance based and ideally, all-season (balancing cost with quality). I came across a tire review article (updated February 2019) suggesting the following as the best tires for the Solstice. So let's hear any input on your own tires or the recommended ones.

245/45R18
Touring All-Season

High Performance All-Season
High Performance Summer

·
Super Moderator
7,010 Posts
Nothing has really changed in tires, as far as I know, so you do not need a recent re-hash of this subject. On the other hand, there isn't a lot else going on...

There is no reason for you to go summer-only, and if you ever plan to drive when it is below 50F there is very good reason for you not to.

These are your picks with Tire Rack prices for each. Not a huge range in my opinion.

Touring All-Season
High Performance All-Season
High Performance Summer
I have the Pilot Sport AS 3+ on both of mine, and am very happy with them. Some people hate them. They are also the most expensive on your list.

Touring tires in general will give you a softer ride and better tread life, but with less grip. That said, I had Michelin touring tires (now discontinued) on my NA and loved them.

Anything you put on the car is going to be better than what you have now, and will probably be better than they were new, especially in the wet.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
I went with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06. So far no complaints. I did put new tire pressure sensors on last year when i swapped the wheels out. Good luck in your search.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I went with Michelin Pilot SS on my AZ car and Continentals on the OH car, trading a little dry traction for better wet traction.

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Nice compilation.

I have the Pilot Super Sport, love them, but the design is not the most modern anymore. According to the interweb the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S is the better choice these days (except in some rare cases / situations).
There are many comparison tests between PSS and PS4 on the interweb. Some of them are very interesting reads.

·
Super Moderator
7,010 Posts
I went with Michelin Pilot SS on my AZ car and Continentals on the OH car, trading a little dry traction for better wet traction.
Nice compilation.

I have the Pilot Super Sport, love them, but the design is not the most modern anymore. According to the interweb the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S is the better choice these days (except in some rare cases / situations).
There are many comparison tests between PSS and PS4 on the interweb. Some of them are very interesting reads.
Thanks.

When did you buy the PSS? Tire Rack does not currently list the PSS in 245/45-18. The Michelins available are two different AS3+ (100Y and 96V), and the 4S.
I remember a year or so ago there was talk of Michelin phasing the PSS out and replacing it with the 4S.

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
I got the PSS August 2018. Basically as soon as I had the money after I drove the stock tires on a wet road :)

After reading this thread I was surprised Michelin is still selling the PSS. Or is it just old stock ?

Below the old & new

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Don't think you need the most expensive stickiest tire from what you said. The BFG are quite good - I have the summer only version on one of my sports cars. Pretty sure you'd like them.

There are a few other makes that are less expensive that are actually pretty decent too - Sumitomo, Hankook etc. Look at tire threads on the site but try and stick to the ones that are less than 5 years old.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the PS4s on my gxp,luv em but are imo overkill for a NA. If you buy a NA because your only going to cruise,definitely overkill. A touring a/s tire would suffice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tires should be replaced every 6 years to be on the safe side and when you only use the vehicle in the summer for cruising around and car cruises then storing the car in the winter your wasting time buying $150 to $200 apiece tires as you'll never wear them out in 6 years time, the main thing is getting the recommended speed rated tire for your vehicle in either summer tread or all season tread, explore tires on tire rack.com as there are a lot of decent cheaper tires out there that are rated pretty highly.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Tires should be replaced every 6 years to be on the safe side and when you only use the vehicle in the summer for cruising around and car cruises then storing the car in the winter your wasting time buying $150 to $200 apiece tires as you'll never wear them out in 6 years time
Doesn't matter if you have to toss them when they still have a bunch of miles worth of tread on them, if the spec of the tire allows you to drive the car the way you want to. I'll never wear out a set of tires before they age out even though I drive the car year round - I only put 1500 - 2000 miles a year on it because I use other sports cars in the summer and a winter use car whenever the weather is particularly cold or snowy/icy, when my tires would not function as well.

But I still wouldn't want the miles I do put on it to be less rewarding just because I compromised on tire quality.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I TOOK GENERAL G-MAX FROM DISCOUNT TIRE IN CHANDLER. IT ONLY HAD 30K ON THE ORIGINAL TIRES WHEN I GOT IT, BUT WERE 10 YEARS OLD. GOOD TIRES. GOOD PRICE.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have never had any issues wearing out tires... well let me change that a little I have never had any tires that were 6 years old and still on a car ...with 1 exception of my 19.5x33 mickey thomposons prostreet tires,( the first version witch were very hard compound.) afer a few years I took them off and used the soft compound, then onto the hoosier dirt track tires.I could go through a few sets a year eazely.. and the old hard ones... well after being in the shed for about 15 years..hmm 20 years they went onto the rear of my vw bug. and....lasted about 3 years till I wore them out almost completely. then it got a set of hoosier dirt track tires.( much cheeper than the mickeys like 1/4 the price, and oh so soft). as for my solstice I wish I could wear these out and put somethen else on...but my ankle wont let me drive it....witch does make this virus lock down a little eazer since I cant drive any way.. when I bought a new intrepid I went through A SET THE FIRST YEAR... and another set...I do like to drive, I dont like to piddel around.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I bought the BF Goodrich G Force Comp 2 AS from Amazon in 2017. They are a good bang for the buck balancing quality and price.

They are quiet, smooth riding and stick to the corners well on wet and dry pavement. They handle well on dry cold days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK Mark, I used to think that the "life span" of tires was BS.... Until the BF Goodrich TA radial truck tires that probably only had 3 or 4k miles on them total and about 5/8 inch thick tread remaining, on my '63 Willys truck, had a blowout. (right on Interstate -10 on a curve in a construction zone in Tucson) No reason except they were 15 years old.

I had put out my orange cones but a Cop actually stopped with his lights on behind me to let me change the spare without getting killed and drive out of there.

The 10 year old Goodyear's with 30K on them, off the Solstice, I gave to a used tire store in downtown Chandler....

Good for them and I dont pay the $3 a tire disposal fee.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I just purchased 3 sets of the Nitto NT555 G2 245/45 R18, 100 W, tires, for my 3 GXP coupes. All have their original set of 2009 tires. One coupe has 9,500 miles, the other has 1,700 miles, and my third has 740 miles. I obviously drive my first coupe, more than my other two. I‘ll post pics later, and report how the Nitto’s feel, and let you all know what I think of them.

P.S. I’m getting the tires installed tomorrow, 15 APR 20.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts