Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to racing. Helmet/gear.

Hey guys the local drag strip requires a helmet for any car under 14s. I am going to the track a few times before season ends. I will also autocross starting next summer. What type of helmet do I need? Also, any online shops for racing gear that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Snell 2000 approved helmet or newer.

However some tracks are more lenient than others. Honestly I would just go racing and mention you dont plan to break 14's, because on an OE car, it takes some decent driving skill to get into the 13's

Some tracks in my area don't even worry about helmets until you start going much faster even though "14" is the mentioned rule for helmets.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Yeah, 1995 no longer accepted. If you are buying a new helmet, go for the 2010 (most recent Snell) as it will be allowed in use the longest. Think I have a 1995 with only a few races on it for cheap.....;)
(I probably have helmets all the way back to Snell 1968, and 1985 - they required updates every 5 years in the road racing organizations I ran with.)

·
Super Moderator
7,514 Posts
You should also check on which rating is accepted or required. Some sanctioning bodies allow M-rated (motorcycle) helmets, while others require an SA rating. Some tracks will allow DOT-rated helmets, and do not even require a Snell rating.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks. I have the GM tune so I was hoping to run consistently under 14s.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll pick up a new one because I know I am going to stick with the sport. I have wanted to get into autox for a while and thats part of the reason I picked up the Solstice though I am not starting autox till spring when I get some dedicated wheels/tires.

I will get the most current Snell standard then sa2010.

Ok what style is prefered open/full face? Any more tips? Summitracing seems to have hundreds of options.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Ok thanks. I have the GM tune so I was hoping to run consistently under 14s.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll pick up a new one because I know I am going to stick with the sport. I have wanted to get into autox for a while and thats part of the reason I picked up the Solstice though I am not starting autox till spring when I get some dedicated wheels/tires.

I will get the most current Snell standard then sa2010.

Ok what style is prefered open/full face? Any more tips? Summitracing seems to have hundreds of options.
Open Face Zamp is a good value!! YMMV :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
It is just a matter of personnel preference, the only difference between a motorcycle helmet and a car helmet is car helmets are fireproof, I like Simpson but that's just me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
So I had the same question about six months ago. So I bought a helmet and the first time the car ran 14.14 or something like that. So my buddy says, hey much faster and you will need to use the helmet. And my response was yes, and I will need to put it on.

Then I caught myself and said, I just said the most stupid thing in the world. Why would I put myself and my wife and 3 kids future at risk for a tenth of a second on a soft top car. I wear it all the time and care less what people think, I'm having run, but being safe for myself and my family.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses. I ordered the Bell Sport Mag helmet 2022110 from summit. Should be here today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts