Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just registered and this is my first post. I saw the Solstice for the first time about three or four months ago on television. It looks like a really cool car and I was shocked when I heard what the price is supposed to be when it goes into production. $20K for a brand new convertible? It sounds like a pretty good deal. I would really like to take a serious look at one as soon as they start showing up at the dealerships. I've never owned anything other than a Mercedes, but the Solstice seems like a really cool car. I do have one big question about the Solstice, though. Does anyone know if it will be able to accomodate a tall driver? I'm 6'4". I'd hate to spend over a year looking forward to it and then find out that I don't fit in it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
The jury is still out on that one. Pontiac had two test mules in England in late winter, and they invited journalists from several publications to drive them. since they were test mules, the interiors were far from finished products. Nonetheless, Autoweek and Car & Driver both drove the same car. One magazine stated that there's plenty of room for tall guys, yet the other said anyone over 6' might find it a tight squeeze, but its still better than a Miata. I can't remember which said which, and I don't have time to read them at the moment, but here are links to the articles:

Car & Driver Autoweek

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Welcome Ben. I, too am 6'4" and would be driving a Miata if I could fit. I wish I knew how to move a quote to this topic but on 04-02-2004 a member named Kael posted under the topic "Interior Accomodations" that he had actually sat in one and was impressed with the room. He said he was 6'-3" and had lots of room. Said it compared favorably to a BMW Z3. That was great news for me. Perhaps someone more computer literate could move Kael's post, otherwise a search will get you there.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome onboard! We'll have to wait until the finished product arrives before we really know how roomy the car will be. Hopefully they will find a lot of passenger space in it! GM has done well with having space for taller drivers in prior two seaters, Corvettes mainly but also the Fiero. So hopefully they keep taller drivers in mind on this one too!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Welcome to the world of everything Soslstice! :thumbs We seem to have many tall drivers and there are some old threads about that concern. No one knows for sure yet, just impressions from the test mules, but given GM's past record, and the fact that it's designed in North America, I'm guessing (and praying) that it will have plenty of head room. Ducking under the windshield frame to see traffic lights, like you have to on the Miata, is no fun. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts