Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up a 2006 dark blue solstice tomorrow morning!

My first RW drive sports car and I'm really excited. I'll post pictures when I get it. But first I have a couple questions...

1. I read the 06 has a recall on the rear axel shaft seal. If I call GM with the vin will they be able to tell me if it has been fixed?

2. I'd like to replace the stock head unit and put in a touch screen GPS with bluetooth. I was thinking about routing the mic from the onstar to work with the bluetooth head unit. SO, anyone have experience doing this?

3. ^ Re the question above: Anyone have experience with aftermarket head units? Which one do you have and how much was it.

4. ^ Re above again: Does your aftermarket head unit work with the steering wheel controls?

Thanks guys! Can't wait to get it!

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
1. GM should be able to tell you if the recall was done. I bought my Sol from a used Ford dealership. My test drive was delayed because they had it at a GM dealership getting the seal replaced.

Can't help you on the radio questions.

BUT - welcome! They are indeed sweet cars!

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your Sol...(looking forward to seeing pictures of it..):thumbs:

Agreed...GM should be able to tell you if it's been done on your car.

There is a huge amount of info on after-market head units on this forum...alot of it with pictures! I like pictures!! :crazy: I have not personally had any experience doing this on a Solstice, but I suggest doing a search on the forum and seeing what you find.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Nice color. The forum has a lot of data on radio mods, so look around. Your car does not have the channel connecting the diff to the tranny, so read about the clunk/whine on this forum, too. No reason to fear the car, just get up to speed on what you are now enjoying...sorta like a thoroughbred......

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!

The car looks amazing! Only 3,282 miles on it when I picked it up today! It was a very nice lady's weekend roadster. She stopped driving it after her husband passed away.

So far, the only problem I have is that there is no AC... I was somewhat surprised GM gave the option not to have AC in these. Ok, yea; I know you can put the top down, but AC is still nice. Anyone know how to go about installing an AC unit and how much it would run me? What do I need to get? I have a good friend who runs a small, small shop out of his garage and would do the labor for free. Just gotta know what I need to get.

IMG_3962 by ChadPhillips92, on Flickr

IMG_3961 by ChadPhillips92, on Flickr

IMG_3959 by ChadPhillips92, on Flickr

IMG_3954 by ChadPhillips92, on Flickr

IMG_3953 by ChadPhillips92, on Flickr

IMG_3952 by ChadPhillips92, on Flickr

IMG_3950 by ChadPhillips92, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Looks amazing! Take good care of it!

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Always glad to see new blood.

There are at least two threads from back in about 2007 that cover adding AC to a non-AC car. Basically its kind of like going to the moon. To most people its impossible to do, but if you have enough time and money anything is possible.

To the best of my knowledge in order to add AC requires dissassembly of the interior of the car and much of the engine compartment. It needs to have new wiring, switches, and of course the AC equipment added. The cars were designed to be with or without AC but never to go from without to with. The usual recommendation is go find another car or learn to enjoy it without the AC.

Here is the referenced thread

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/you-can-add-air-conditioning-55459/

and a quote
"The good news is you CAN install air conditioning in a Solstice that was not built with it. The bad news is that I would recommend it ONLY on a manual transmission car (explanation later). Also, you should be pretty comfortable with disassembling and re-assembling major protions of your car before you start this project.
I installed GM air conditioning parts from the condensor to the evaporator. All you have to do is purchase the condensor, compressor, belt, hoses, and evaporator. Installing the under hood parts is pretty simple since the frame is already there for the condensor, the holes are in the block for the compressor, there are even holes drilled in the inner fenders to snap the A/C hose clamps into.
Inside the car is a different story. I recommend purchasing a shop manual so you know what order to disassemble the dash. You will have to take EVERYTHING out all the way to the firewall. The last thing you remove will be the heater/A.C. box that holds the heater core. The box is already configured to accept the evaporator. Just slip it in and re-install the heater/A.C. box.
Now things get tricky. The car is not wired for A.C.. The heater controls do not have an A.C. setting. I used a lighted after-market rocker switch to actuate the compressor and cooling fan. I installed it in the depression in the dash for the ESC (my car not equipped). Pick up the current at the fuse box under the passenger carpet. Use a 10 amp fuse. Re-assemble the interior. Run the current through the switch, and under the hood.
Once under the hood, run the current to two places. First run it to the compressor, and then to ground. Second, run it to a solenoid that will be used to actuate the cooling fan when you engage the A.C.. Since this system is completely separate from the computer, you MUST engage the cooling fan when the compressor is engaged to control the pressure in the system. Install a FUSED solenoid that will engage the HIGH SPEED side of the cooling fan (see the service manual for schematic).
Once you re-fill the coolant, take the car to a reputable A.C. shop to get the system evacuated and filled. DO NOT engage the compressor until this is completed.
If you did everything right, you now have an air conditioned Solstice.
NOW, as to my recommendation to only do this to a car with a manual transmission, when you first turn the A.C. on, the rpms drop by about 200. I was going to install some type of switch controlled idle adjuster, but I was concerned about over-riding the computer controls. Ironically, the car “adjusts itself” after one or two starts-and-stops, and the idle comes up to near normal. Of course this has to be repeated every time you start the car. That’s why I don’t recommend this for a car with an automatic transmission.
I installed the A.C. one year ago, invested about $1500 (including the manual and the A.C. shop fee), used it through the summer in Atlanta traffic, and it is still working fine.
Good Luck!! "

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Sweet Ride!!!

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
:thumbs: It's gorgeous!!! Welcome to OUR world - you will love it. Heads will turn everywhere you go and people will ask "What is that?" . . . it's a wonderful world, indeed!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the world of permagrin. You car looks showroom new. Nice ride. Now the fun begins.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone! I love it. Paint is flawless. The WHOLE car is flawless! Well, minus not having AC. But I can live without. I just ordered a clear bra which should be in any day now.

I'm thinking about getting a radar detector... Yea, I sorta drive fast. And whit this car, I stick out like a sore thumb to cops! Any suggestions? Hard wired to car? I'd really rather not have to plug it into the lighter socket and run a bunch of wires. But if I have to I will.

Also, looking at getting a VIPER alarm system. Anyone have any experience with these? I know the regular alarm/lock is good, but I'd like to keep my top down when I have to run into a store or something. So I'd really like the extra security of the VIPER going off if someone sticks their hand inside the car. So again, and ideas or comments?

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
I mounted my radar detector next to the mirror and tapped into power from the mirror. The power hook-up is essentially invisible unless you're looking for it. I'll post pictures and the source for the cable assembly later today.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts