Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a Kenwood 6.95" non-NAV receiver for a couple of years and am ready to find something new. I just can't deal with the crappy interface and the difficultly changing sources or doing anything that requires touching the screen - it is very inconsistent in its finger responses and the menus are just not set up for ease of use at all. Since it's about three years later, can anyone recommend a unit that will be much easier to use and scroll and adjust? I do like the sound from the Kenwood - much better than the stocker, even with original speakers (and no additional amp). Maybe I am spoiled by my iPhone, but I shouldn't cringe every time I want to access something and have to touch the screen.

Thanks all.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've been wondering about this as well. While every other car manufacturer on the planet moved on to indash touch interfaces GM stuck with their aging delco radios. We have the same old delco in our 2007 Impala as well...it was a dated design even when purchased new.

One caveat I'd like to throw into the replacement solution is physical controls...unless the replacement mates well with the steering wheel controls I'd prefer something with hard controls on the radio. My car rarely leaves the garage with the top up, as a result reading the display on any radio is damned near impossible in direct sunlight...hence my preference for a few hard buttons around the edges of the touch screen.

Anyone have some good solutions in mind?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a AVIC-X930BT and it is really awesome. The sound is worlds away from the stocker. The main thing i got it for is the screen resolution because the resolution can directly effect how touch friendly the screen is. Other than that it comes with all the goodies (rear camera input, plenty of pre-amps, video out, etc). I have not heard a kenwood before but looked at several when i got my pioneer. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I'm quite happy with my 9960 from Kenwood and like the way the screen goes to a reverse angle so the screen is much more readable with the top down. With the steering wheel controls I rarely use the touch screen on the radio.

The four times a year updates to the Garmin maps on the unit are a bonus.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
JVC units are nice....I dig them
I installed a Sony a few weeks ago (I normally DO NOT LIKE Sony) but this thing was BADASS....can't remember the model number, but it was the navigation model...it was JUST like a phone....flip/scroll technology.
Alpines are VERY nice....get one of their new 8" units....be the first to put one in a Solsti!!! Dooooo it!!!

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas. I do have the rear camera and steering wheel controls and those are great - I just don't like the touchscreen and interface on the Kenwood. I'll look around and decide - maybe check out the 8" also.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you swap out your stock radio/CD, what about the controls on the steering wheel? Can you still use them with one of these touch screens?

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I swapped out my stock radio 3 years ago and was able to keep the steering wheel controls, and now have a reverse camera. I just want a better head unit now and am leaning toward the Alpine 8" if it fits.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I have a Kenwood 6990 and like it very much. Ya the screens are inconsistant, and touching is somewhat clumsy, but the refresh rate is much much better than the previous models, so it responds better when you do have to access the screens.

Suggest you try a 6990 or 9990 in the store and see if it resolves your (past) Kenwood issues.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still working on it. They had to order a trim piece from Alpine, which comes in today and it will be painted to match the stock panel and grafted into place. Hoping to get it back on Thursday.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Alpine 8" dvd/nav goes in Wed. Thanks for the info. It's only been out for two weeks.
Is that the INA-W910? I'm still looking for a headunit that suits me...

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They're almost finished -- photo below is of new, custom opening to house the Alpine deck. It is so big that I had to take out the cig lighter, which I am replacing with a USB power port, which is more convenient for me than the clunky cig adapter/chargers.

The color is primer and I am contemplating painting it to match the rest of the interior that surrounds the dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got the Kenwood 9990 installed almost 2 months ago, and am taking it back in for the 5th or 6th time to try and get issues ironed out. The handsfree is not-you have to touch the screen to get to the phone, and the mic sucks-they have tried 3 different locations, none of which work with the top down-the stock bluetooth was much better. XM reception was poor with the antenna that came with the modulle, so I had to order a special cable to go to the stock XM antenna on the trunk, and many of the apps don't work with my iphone. The only plus is that the sound is great.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is a quick shot. Picking up tomorrow. They did a nice job making it look better than stock. I asked them to make the dash blend better than the silver that did not match anything else in the car and I think it looks great. Will report on unit soon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts