Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear ROBERT

Thank you for your order. Based on the latest information we have received from our supplier, we estimate that we'll ship your order to you on or near the date shown below. We will remain in contact with our supplier regarding this item and there is nothing you need to do at this time.

If you paid with a credit card, your card will be charged as your items are shipped unless specified otherwise. All other payment methods are collected at the time of the order.
Order Information
Order Number:
Customer Number:
Backordered Item(s)
Item
Notice Number
New Ship Date
ADO-15859939
Traction Control Switch
(Mfr. #: 15859939)
4615229​
6/25/2021​

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Don’t know about the rest of the folks here but “back order” is the new normal out there.
Not just my business but even things as simple as charge pipes. I ordered a set from DDM in February and they just moved the shipping date out another 30 days.
Whoda thunk there would ever be a 6 month lead time on pipes?

I work in pro audio and some of the products we need to build and integrate specialty rooms that normally have a two week lead time are pushing into next year!

I have vendors in the UK that are struggling to source cardboard and low quality wood for shipping. It’s a weird time right now.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Don’t know about the rest of the folks here but “back order” is the new normal out there.
Not just my business but even things as simple as charge pipes. I ordered a set from DDM in February and they just moved the shipping date out another 30 days.
Whoda thunk there would ever be a 6 month lead time on pipes?

I work in pro audio and some of the products we need to build and integrate specialty rooms that normally have a two week lead time are pushing into next year!

I have vendors in the UK that are struggling to source cardboard and low quality wood for shipping. It’s a weird time right now.
same with home appliances.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Plastic resin started with a nylon shortage, now it's industry wide. None of our suppliers will commit to any delivery dates of any amount. Every day is like Christmas on our loading dock. "Oh!! Look what showed up today!!"

Co-worker is looking to buy a John Deere lawn tractor. They told him sometime in May. Then sometime in June. He asked if he could put a deposit down and the dealer said no - they've been instructed NOT to pre-sell as they don't know when, what models, and how many will be shipped. Dealer said "What sucks about it is I can't even try to up-sell you to a more expensive model - I don't have any of THOSE either!"

At least he was honest.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
I recently ordered a piece of gear from an audio company called Schitt (no jokes, please) and they built the unit and got back to me in a few weeks for payment. Keeping lots of inventory on hand is a very expensive proposition especially when many companies are suffering financially from the Covid slow down.

·
Premium Member
4,553 Posts
just-in-time supply chain...

when it works, everybody is happy.

nobody is smart enough to think for themselves anymore in order to prevent the
case when just-in-time does not work. OR the all-mighty-dollar and profit forecasts do not
allow stock to be stored to prevent just-in-time problems...

nuts

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I recently ordered a piece of gear from an audio company called Schitt (no jokes, please)
I thought you already had a high-end system. What did you order? A Modi?

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I recently ordered a piece of gear from an audio company called Schitt (no jokes, please) and they built the unit and got back to me in a few weeks for payment. Keeping lots of inventory on hand is a very expensive proposition especially when many companies are suffering financially from the Covid slow down.
I know a few folks at Schitt. Nice people good gear.
Hi-Fi is in a worse place than pro-audio so you got lucky they had it and it (probably) doesn’t use AKM chips...

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2,201 Posts
Just wait. in maybe 5-6 months there is going to be a HUGE problem for car manufacturers. There is a massive microchip shortage that pretty much is across the board.

All of this is bull. It has nothing to do with COVID-19 like is being said. It's China that is short supplying everything in order to cause the prices to go up. They are doing it on purpose, I mean think about it... Look at how poor the majority of the population is and we already know that the government could care less about the people. You and I both know COVID-19 or not those people would still be working. That's like the prices of lumber.... We are being told it's the tariffs. No it's not, the tariffs were lowered by 50% in December of last year and are only 10%. So explain to me how the cost for a 1000 board feet went from 343.00 in May of 2020 to 1635.00 in May of 2021. There is no tree shortage, explain it to me? It's Canada shorting the amount of lumber to increase the price. This is all because of the 4 trillion dollars the US government printed out of which the middle class and lower got maybe 500 billion of. The majority of the money went to the the super rich.

This is the total wealth of the billionaires in the US alone. and it proves where a HUGE chunk of the stimulus money went.

So how do suppliers based in other countries collect some of this money? They increase the prices, there has to be a reason to increase the prices so they create a shortage to justify the price increase. So when the supply is back do you think any of the prices will come back down?? Not a chance in hell.

I can't even buy a video card for a computer right now. There are none available.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
The chip shortages in my industry have been a direct effect of a 4 day fire in a factory in Japan back in November of last year. the AKM chip of note needs to made by the very machines that burnt in the fire.
All the manufacturers started scrambling for the old standby by Cirrus chips as an alternative.
Which had the effect of massively raising the costs of the AKM chips still left in the supply chain AND the cirrus chips.
Then the hoarding began...
So now both products designed around the AKM chips and the citrus chips are becoming back ordered.

to make things worse, a second fire at another chip Manufacturer in Japan earlier this year has further exacerbated the problem.

It has been postulated that the fact that the factories were working their machines overtime to meet demand may have led to the fires...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dear ROBERT

Thank you for your order. Based on the latest information we have received from our supplier, we estimate that we'll ship your order to you on or near the date shown below. We will remain in contact with our supplier regarding this item and there is nothing you need to do at this time.

If you paid with a credit card, your card will be charged as your items are shipped unless specified otherwise. All other payment methods are collected at the time of the order.
Order Information
Order Number:
Customer Number:
Backordered Item(s)
Item
Notice Number
New Ship Date
ADO-15859939
Traction Control Switch
(Mfr. #: 15859939)
4615229​
6/25/2021​
Got that same email from Summit about the Traction Control switch. I have an HHR switch and and Sky switch on hand. Life has gotten in the way and I haven't be able to replace with either yet. They look exactly the same despite the part number difference.

I'm guessing the reason why there is a part number difference is due to the dash LED light being a different color in all 3. When I broke my original Solstice switch, the red LED light was clearly visible. Pontiac is/was the only GM badge that used red back lighting, so that makes sense. Not sure what color the Saturn is, but Chevy uses a white light I believe. The LED's are housed within the button, so they only way to check, I think, is to plug em in and turn it on.

Again, just a hypothesis.

·
Super Moderator
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is possible that the light color is different but the part number for PONTIAC has to be a pontiac number in their system. Even when a part is reused, it gets a new number. Check out things that are shared between the Sky and Sol. Same part, different numbers and inventory. And generally different price.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The chip shortages in my industry have been a direct effect of a 4 day fire in a factory in Japan back in November of last year. the AKM chip of note needs to made by the very machines that burnt in the fire.
All the manufacturers started scrambling for the old standby by Cirrus chips as an alternative.
Which had the effect of massively raising the costs of the AKM chips still left in the supply chain AND the cirrus chips.
Then the hoarding began...
So now both products designed around the AKM chips and the citrus chips are becoming back ordered.

to make things worse, a second fire at another chip Manufacturer in Japan earlier this year has further exacerbated the problem.

It has been postulated that the fact that the factories were working their machines overtime to meet demand may have led to the fires...

Ford just shut down their Mustang production line indefinitely because they don't have the chips for their various control modules and stuff.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Ford just shut down their Mustang production line indefinitely because they don't have the chips for their various control modules and stuff.
In my opinion, everyone (speaking in generalities) seems to forget globally, we all stayed home through the pandemic. (I didn’t but I also do not manufacture material goods) Maybe not at the same time but generally it happened.

this means from the shovel in the ground to get the raw materials, all the way to the end user receiving the goods and everything in between there have been massive disruptions in supply chains.
With all the other factors mentioned here and elsewhere on top of that disruption, I think we are looking at a year or two (depending on further outbreaks or not) at least of all kinds of unpredictable shortages.

Without getting into politics (please that’s for another section of the forum) the global system was humming at a breakneck pace and all of the business un-surety of the years leading up to the pandemic and then WHAM! FULL STOP! Then herky, jerky figure-it-out-as-we-go slow ramp up back to work hodgepodge solutions different countries (and even states here in the US) have attempted, in retrospect there is almost no way the supply chain wasn’t going to get messed up.

for myself, I am learning patience and offering grace to others. Things are different, and that’s OK.
Things will continue to get differenter, and that’s OK.

we are all human and this is a human issue. I just hope this brings about some sort of work / life balance reckoning, at least for America.
We are all so damn hard on ourselves and each other these days it seems.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2,201 Posts
Here is an interesting bit of information.

2 guys are in the woods and a predatory animal comes up to them, the first man says to the second man, "There is no way to outrun the animal.", The second man says to the first, "I don't have to outrun the animal, I only have to outrun you!"

* EDITED ****

The above has been edited by a moderator with no cause to do so. The above makes absolutely no sense and is information that is not in context any longer.
There was nothing political in it, there was nothing offensive in it. It had information in it what was factual. It expressed a point of view that most people don't see.

I received no message telling me it was edited, nor was I provided a reason. This is complete BS. This kind of crap should not be allowed to happen.

To the person that edited it. If you did not like what was in this post why don't you man up and reply to it and point out the things you don't like and why you do not like them. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that post in any way shape or form. Leaving the post as you did it makes absolutely no sense what's so ever and makes me look like I am the kid riding the yellow short bus while wearing a helmet and licking the window.

If you edit a post man up and put the reason why and you name so everyone knows who edited it and why they did. This way it doesn't make the person that posted the message look like a moron.

Reactions: Cmccomb1

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac Solstice, 2.4L base model.
83 Posts
I work for an electronic components distributor (one of the largest) and I am starting to see some very long lead times on parts too. Not only the microcontrollers (a.k.a. computer chips) but also other chips. I just saw a back order estimate of Feb. 2022 on a part today.

·
Super Moderator
8,437 Posts
Bosch just opened a chip factory in Germany. They will start making chips for power tools in July, and automotive components in September.

·
Registered
2006 Cool Silver NA 2008 Pure White NA
352 Posts
This seems the most logical cause of the majority of the supply chain problem. With the recent construction of massive cargo ships such as the Ever Given that got stuck in the Suez Canal, and a lack of Longshoremen due to either Covid itself or government regulations related to it, we no longer (temporarily?) have the port capacity to off-load commodities, and reload empty containers for shipment back to overseas suppliers. I reference the Ever Given due to the size of these ships. This one ship can carry 20,000 (20-foot-long) cargo containers. The incident in the Suez Canal is but one instance, The chronic problem are the ports along our west coast.

Perfect Storm: Congestion Plagues South China And US West Coast Ports

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Port congestion is a HUGE problem. Sales rep that sells injection molding machines told me a few weeks ago he had a $150k molding machine sitting on a freight off the west coast for 4 weeks. His customer wasn't buying the "excuse" but called him to apologize the next day after he saw aerial photos of the ships floating off the coast.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts