Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Credit goes to SCCA_HP_Racer for finding this. Orignial Sky Forums post;
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16674

SCCA HP Racer said:
This week's Autoweek has the Opel OPC which is an Astra hatchback that is supposed to compete with the VW GTI in Europe. The car has a 2.0 turbo with 240 hp. The blurb says that GM is considering using this engine in future Saturn models such as the Aura. Could this be the answer to the supercharged/turbocharged debate for the foced induction Sky/Sol?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This engine produces 320Nm (236 ft-lbs) of Torque. It'll power the Astra and Zafira OPC models. I'm trying to find more information about this engine, like specificaly what model it is.

...

This new 240HP Turbocharged engine is actually an ECOTEC. It's based off the Astra's 2.0L Turbocharged engine that currently produces 200HP and ~262Nm [~190 ft-lbs] of Torque. The power gain comes from tweaking the intake and exhuast, improved Turbocharger, modified fuel system, along with using higher quality internals to support the power gain. Now I'm trying to figure out exactly what ECOTEC engine this is.

...

I've found a good bit of specs on the 2.0L 200HP this 240HP engine is based off of. Very interesting info.
Maximum torque of 250 Nm [185 ft-lbs] is available at a constant boost pressure of 0.85 bar [12.3 PSI] between 1950 and 5600 rpm. Peak power of 200 hp is reached at 5600 rpm.
...
At full throttle, the engine's electronic management system provides additional reserves by allowing a maximum rpm of 6800 instead of 6400 for a short period. Clever packaging of the turbo system is the basis for its turbine-like performance; exhaust manifold, turbine housing, waste gate and other elements are integrated as a single, compact component, allowing Vauxhall engineers to significantly reduce engine size and weight.
...
This state of the art Euro 4 compliant turbo engine proves that performance needn't result in high fuel consumption - on the combined cycle, the Astra GSi manages 31.7mpg.
...
Bore (mm): 86
Stroke (mm): 86
Displacement (cc): 1998
Compression ratio: 8.8
turbo with intercooler
Engine output: 200 hp at 5600 rpm
Max. torque (Nm at 1/ min): 250 at 1950 rpm [185 ft-lbs]
Fuel Economy urban: 22.6 MPG extra- urban: 41.5 MPG total: 31.7 MPG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Any chance its the same engine found in the Cobalt SS with supercharger instead of turbo? If so, its sold as a crate engine from GM Performance in its supercharged incarnation. Would certainly be sweet to find its way into the Solstice next year, as a 240hp turbo of course.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I believe this is actually the same engine in the Opel Speedster/Vauxhall VX220. Both use the 2.0L Turbocharged ECOTEC that produce ~200HP, but its engines are MR instead of FF. More then likely that mainly effects piping layout, turbo placement, and intercooler placement but they're pretty similar I bet. Now the problem is I'm having a hard time linking these engines to the SAAB 2.0L Turbocharged engine. I'm not sure if they're also the same or not. I don't think it is though because this engine is 8.8:1 where the SAABs are about 9.5:1 currently in the 9-3. Also the Vauxhall information never mentions anyhitng about all the super-duper features the SAAB engine has.

::EDIT:: I went looked it up, the 200HP 2.0L engine is the same as what's currently used in the VX220 and Speedster.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
How fast is that speedster when the standard 2.2 ecotec gets it from 0-100k in 5.9 seconds. BTW Opel and Vauxhall (in GB) are offering 3 day test drives. All they ask is you bring it back. Sorry, no speedsters but I think I just registered for a diesel Tigra TwinTop. My German is not just rusty but nonexistent. www.opel.com
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
achieftain said:
How fast is that speedster when the standard 2.2 ecotec gets it from 0-100k in 5.9 seconds. BTW Opel and Vauxhall (in GB) are offering 3 day test drives. All they ask is you bring it back. Sorry, no speedsters but I think I just registered for a diesel Tigra TwinTop. My German is not just rusty but nonexistent. www.opel.com
4.7s with the 2.0L Turbocharged engine. The VX220R is even faster.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
brentil said:
4.7s with the 2.0L Turbocharged engine. The VX220R is even faster.
:cool: Too bad the Elise is the closest we'll see of this package. Not that there's anything wrong with a Lotus, carbon-fiber isn't in my budget.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
brentil said:
Now the problem is I'm having a hard time linking these engines to the SAAB 2.0L Turbocharged engine. I'm not sure if they're also the same or not. I don't think it is though because this engine is 8.8:1 where the SAABs are about 9.5:1 currently in the 9-3. Also the Vauxhall information never mentions anyhitng about all the super-duper features the SAAB engine has.

::EDIT:: I went looked it up, the 200HP 2.0L engine is the same as what's currently used in the VX220 and Speedster.
The Saab thing may have more to do with Saab not wanting to associate their engines with GM engineering. The 2.0l supercharged engine found in the Cobalt SS also runs 9.5:1 compression . The new 2.4l VVT engine in the Solstice is running 10.6:1 compression. But the basic architecture is the same, so a hi-po 2.0l should fit nicely. :D Mazdaspeed, look out!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Breeze said:
The Saab thing may have more to do with Saab not wanting to associate their engines with GM engineering. The 2.0l supercharged engine found in the Cobalt SS also runs 9.5:1 compression . The new 2.4l VVT engine in the Solstice is running 10.6:1 compression. But the basic architecture is the same, so a hi-po 2.0l should fit nicely. :D Mazdaspeed, look out!!
SAAB had a lock out on the engine for a period of time where they were the only ones allowed to use it. However now it's available for use in other cars, and as a crate engine. The 2.0L Supercharged has some more differences compard to the 2.4L VVT also. The 2.0L has several forged componenets that replced the normal componenets in the engine to allow higher boost levels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,362 Posts
My only hope is that it's true. For I see a GT30R in my future, and wait, yes. yes! a 3 core vertical flow intercooler as well. Oh crystal ball, what elso do you see.... :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
221 ft/lb of tq at 2500rpm. if that is an ecotec that will swap into a solstice then maybe bob will do it for us after a year or two- it would be a good match for the solstice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
BaldTurboFreak said:
My only hope is that it's true. For I see a GT30R in my future, and wait, yes. yes! a 3 core vertical flow intercooler as well. Oh crystal ball, what elso do you see.... :lol:
powder coated IC piping , with choice of color...and a BOV :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I might be biased here, but because the engine in the Solstice is small i think that a well thought out turbo system would be the best. Like i said in another post I am going to use a garrett T3/T4 turbo in my MR2. This can give me my 15lbs of boost before by about 3700rpm witch might sound high but if you think about it if you are driving hard you are in the upper rpm range most of the time. With a larger engine i would opt for the super chager because they just seem to work great on the larger engines,V8s. For the Solstice the t3t4 would have an awesome spool if used on the 2.4. As for TQ, using a smaller turbo like the t3t4 will help keep the tq numbers up as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
I the recent thread that has the picture of the blue solstice for Cargo magazine, the blurb at the bottom also mentions a turbo in the future. Don't know how good there info is, but if they got a pic of a car in a color none of us has seen yet, maybe they know something.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damovc said:
I the recent thread that has the picture of the blue solstice for Cargo magazine, the blurb at the bottom also mentions a turbo in the future. Don't know how good there info is, but if they got a pic of a car in a color none of us has seen yet, maybe they know something.
The article mentioned it was a rumor, so I wouldn't put much warrant into that.

I however have more Turbocharged rumors to spread. :D
I really have no clue how I missed this before. I was looking at SAAB cars for another thread I was posting in and came across something I never knew existed for some stupid reason.
The SAAB 9-5 Arc and Aero use a 2.3L Turbocharged ECOPower engine. (Which I think might be their variation of the ECOTEC.)

HIGH OUTPUT TURBOCHARGED 250-HP ENGINE
Engine type: 4 cylinder turbo
Displacement: 139.6 cu. in. (2,290 cc).
SAE horsepower rating: 250 at 5,300 rpm
SAE peak torque: 258 lb. ft. at 1,900-4,500 rpm
Fuel Requirement Unleaded 92-93 AON recommended
Est. mpg, City/Hwy 21/29

...

TURBOCHARGED 220-HP ENGINE
Engine type: 4 cylinder high-output turbo
Displacement: 139.6 cu. in. (2,290 cc)
SAE horsepower rating: 220 hp at 5,500 rpm
SAE peak torque: 228 lb. ft. at 1,900-4,500 rpm
Fuel Requirement Unleaded 87-93 AON
Est. mpg, City/Hwy 20/30

...

Compression ratio 9.3:1

Bore x Stroke 3.54 in. x 3.54 in.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
solsticeman said:
MMMMmmmm. Turbo.... :thumbs:

Nice power peak, huh?
hehehe yeah I thought you might like that one too. It just seems in the last couple of months that there's been too much Turbocharger information over anything Supercharged to keep up the Supercharged flame. It looks like GM's going to start replacing most of their current Supercharged i4 engines with Turbocharged varients int he years to come.

I love how the 250HP varient even gets all of it's power BEFORE the lower HP versions does.

I'm still hoping for an official Supercharger addon. Deafdose was getting my hopes up by making it sound like that ProCharger was an official Pontiac part till I finally got a correct answer from him. I'm just afraid they're going to bring on the HO Solstice GT too quickly and totaly glaze over the fact that the initial engines needs some lovin too. :(
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top