1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my automatic gxp coupe with gmpp parts/tune and 58k miles,
I am now hearing for about a week a
whistle or squeal when I do a tight right turn, like having the car
do the tightest right turn in a circle that it can do.
( car is moving of course. When the car stops, the noise stops )
It is not a grind noise.

The brakes and rotors were changed within the last 8k miles.

The car runs fine in all other ways...

anybody have an idea as to what this squeal may be ?

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
A suggestion...Check your power steering fluid. If you have never changed it, do so and you may find the noise goes away and the car feels better. I used a Mityvac MVA6851 Fluid Extractor, Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MVA6851-Fluid-Extractor/dp/B00MPQ8RBG/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=mityvac+suction+gun&qid=1552513326&s=gateway&sr=8-2 Clean with denatured alcohol. It's good for the trans, Differential, brake reservoir and clutch. Truly a case of having a tool that sucks is a good thing. One of the better new purchases and as good, while much less fragile than the veterinary glass syringe I have used and retired.

Good luck.

Richard Snipes

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the sound seems to match the rotation of a tire...
louder then softer then louder etc.

I will check the power steering fluid anyway. I did change the fluid back at the 10k mile mark
( 2.5 years ago )
using the OEM stuff for colder weather.

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
Power steering noise is usually not dependent on the car moving, it only requires you to turn the wheel hard in one direction or the other.

Could it be tire squeal? My NA will frequently squeal a tire in a tight turn, probably due to the LSD and touring tires. My RL, with LSD but higher-performance tires , does not do it.

Also check the tires for any rubbing, and make sure that your hub bolts are tight.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Power steering noise is usually not dependent on the car moving, it only requires you to turn the wheel hard in one direction or the other.

Could it be tire squeal? My NA will frequently squeal a tire in a tight turn, probably due to the LSD and touring tires. My RL, with LSD but higher-performance tires , does not do it.

Also check the tires for any rubbing, and make sure that your hub bolts are tight.
I've had the tires squeal before. This sounds different to me, but I will check the tire pressure anyway... thanks

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a thread/post that implies power steering issue on turns...
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/buzzing-noise-when-starting-up-after-very-cold-night-53755/#post804310
( My noise is definitely not this noise )

Here is a post from "Small Dealer" about which powersteering fluid to use in cold weather to stop a growl...
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/buzzing-noise-when-starting-up-after-very-cold-night-53755/#post814280

And here is a post from "Small Dealer" on how to check and change the fluid...
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f42/help-power-steering-whining-issue-41851/#post628587

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
I've had the tires squeal before. This sounds different to me, but I will check the tire pressure anyway... thanks
It was a reach, but I decided to cover all of the possibilities that i could think of, even if they didn't completely make sense.

Also, the sound I get when turning in not the same as a low-pressure squeal, it is more like the tire is spinning or dragging.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the power steering fluid level looks fine, and the hose looks fine too...

... continuing to search...

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had something similar with an automatic NA 2006 a few years ago.

I can't remember the exact details, but something was loose on the brakes that also had new pads & rotors within the previous few 3000-4000 kms.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a service appointment on 3/21/19 to have this noise investigated...

·
Registered
3 Posts
rack and pinion?

Hello, as you have described the sound, I had a similar squeal that, after inspection was rack and pinion failure. Check the rubber boots to see if they have any fluid inside them. I had it replaced and have had no sounds or trouble since.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
problem solved...

The backing plate was touching the rotor of the front left while doing a tight right turn.

:driving:

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
any idea what caused that? damage, something worn, factory problem, ????
Bill
This car is a daily driver that just had rotors and brakes installed in December 2018.
This car has had this issue on two of the four wheels over the last 18 months.
...the cause could be anything...

:dunno:

My two other Solstice have not had this issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts