Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to show somebody... I installed my new Race Mesh grilles yesterday.

I wish I'd done this a long time ago. Pretty good bang-for-the-buck as far as changing the look for not a lot of money.

In the six years I've owned these cars, I've always hated that cheap-looking honeycomb grille, which is why I kept painting them black. It looked better on my first Solstice ('06)... the black looked nice with the grey paint job. On this one, though ('09 Coupe) with the black overall, I never really liked it. Not enough contrast - the nose just looked sort of featureless.

But, yeah, to my eye, the metal mesh sort of completes that 1960's sports racer look.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I like the honeycomb grills, but I agree, yours got lost. The new grill is a big improvement. The black and chrome look, with the simpler parking lights is clean and crisp!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I agree 100%:agree: Your coupe looks awesome with the grilles. Really makes the front jump out!!!! Way to go. This is one of the best mods I have ever done!:thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, y'all.

1962 Le Mans, here I come! Look out, Phil Hill!!!

:cool:

·
Registered
628 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 07 GXP and want to chrome out the grill...but I think it will look stupid if the fog light area is not chromed too...does any one know where I can get chrome for the fog lights??

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was thinking the same thing! I have a black coupe too and I was thinking about adding the mesh grill but I think having the honeycomb grill around the fog lights might not be so cool.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking the same thing! I have a black coupe too and I was thinking about adding the mesh grill but I think having the honeycomb grill around the fog lights might not be so cool.
I've owned two N/A Solstices... I always liked the cleaner look of the front. Yeah, they're slower, but at 54 years old, I don't go that fast anymore anyway.

Besides... my N/A's 0-60 time beats the crap out of my old '78 Trans Am... sorry, Burt Reynolds...

:cool:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Any one have the mesh grille on the gxp so we could see it?
And why has that company not come out with one to fit in the fog spot?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Any one have the mesh grille on the gxp so we could see it?
And why has that company not come out with one to fit in the fog spot?
The pictures I posted in this thread of my Sol show it. It is a GXP. I went with the black chrome race mesh so it would not jump out as much. I also added the slatted fog light covers from ASAP. I also got the license plate off of the grill area with a retractable plate holder. When I went through the research side of this project I found no after market product to replace the honeycomb fog light bezel. I have received nothing but positive feed back on the look of the front of my Sol. It is a mod that I love!:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Still LOVE my billets! :yesnod: But then anything is better than that plastic honeycomb....chickenwire??? :huh: ....OK maybe not!!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Love those billets! But, that's not the look I wanted.

Like I said... the "chicken wire", to me, looks more like an early 1960's sports racing car... which is what the Solstice reminds me of. Which is why I've owned two of them.

I have immersed myself in 1960's racing history as long as I can remember. The Solstice, to me, looks like an Aston-Cunningham-Jag-Healey-Triumph-Cobra, etc, etc., sort of all rolled into one.

The chicken wire works for me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts