Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. It looks great and seems to be one of the best around.

I'm thinking about buying a Solstice. I've seen one at a dealer - an 06 with only 6000 miles on it. It looks great. I know that you all love love your Solstices, but be honest with me here, should I buy one? I live in Ontario, and have a 4x4 for the winter, so it would only be a summer car. But I have really bad luck buying cars, they always go wrong. And whilst I love the look of the Solstice, it would be my first domestic vehicle, so I'm a little wary.

What issues have you guys had? Are there common things to watch out for?

Thanks in advance!
Harvey

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have owned a 2008 GXP for over 3 years now with no problems so far. I have accomplished much of the preventative maintenance myself for fear of local GM Dealers damaging the car. If you have the opportunity to purchase one, buy the GXP model. This forum has excellent information for learning upgrades, care, and reputable service facilities that promote the longevity on another piece of American Heritage! Welcome to the Solstice Forum!!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have had mine for over 4 yrs now and have had no problems with it. If I was buying today, I would not buy a car that the Company is no longer in business. I add also that mine is not for sale.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Google: 2006 Pontiac Solstice recalls. There was a differential recall (seal), and drive axle seal recall. Generally speaking most complaints revolve around lack of storage capacity, some have complained of certain areas of the top wearing out, along w/bad dealership experiences.

The mechanics; engine, drive train, transmissions; are all GM parts bin sub assemblies. Also the vehicle VIN should indicate any recalls or done recalls. Other issues are crushed rocker panels due to techs not lifting the car correctly, and some instances of the doors should not be fully open when the hood is closed due to clearance issues.

Basically, the Solstice/Saturn SKY are considered niche cars and due to the divisions no longer being around the values will more than likely continue to drop. Which means buy it if you love it and can do generally auto repairs yourself or are confident w/GM mechanics.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I test drove a n/a and decided the gxp was for me and bought mine the same day I saw it online. I just had to have this beast!

Have fun and welcome. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have a 2007 Triple Black GXP 5 sp manual tyranny ,rag top ,just purchased it a few months ago 19800mi vin 5355 ,absolutely love this car and would not sell it for anything.No issues ,some people complain about storage but hey this is my toy and not something I plan on dragging crap around in it.Like others on this forum I love my toy ,as far as not purchasing a car that manufacture no longer in business ,If I were to find an Anglia today I would buy it also.Just remember there is an ass for every seat,for me when they were first produced I wanted on ,could not afford one then so now retired I got one.

·
Registered
847 Posts
07 GXP , loving it...there are soo many upgrades/mods to play around with these cars to make it truly yours & unique! Storage space is the only thing you should worry about...its never been a problem for me, you just sometimes have to be a good tetris player, lol =]

·
Registered
346 Posts
Storage space is not a problem with mine,I have tons of storage.I bought this car for me,not for someone to fill up with crap,I love it when my wife and I go somewhere and she decides to purchase something ,I just say "now where in the hell do you think you are going to put that" then she puts it back ,it saves me money.LOL Like JessB said above there are a lot of things you can do to this toy my first initial bump was that being an old gear head I did not like the fact that you could not get many performance out of it without have to program the pcm,still an issue with me but not so much anymore.Had to get used to the fact that I am old and these are the newer technology.Now think about it what could do with a 4 banger back in the days to get up to 500 hp ,yes you can do it I know supercharger and what not but these little babies punch a whole lot of fun just being stock with a few minor mods you are screaming your tires again .

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
First, they are not going up in value, unless you happen to get a steal and then find someone that wants it more than you. They are depreciating like any used car and aside from coupes, possibly at a slightly greater rate.

The reason for that brings up the other consideration - the depreciation is at least partially due to lack of consumer confidence because the brand has been discontinued, and parts and dealer support have fallen short of being brilliant, with numerous vital parts being 'temporarily' unavailable - to the point where some cars with issues have been bought back by GM and written off because they had no stocks of parts to fix them under warranty within any predictable time.

Not trying to panic you, just trying to give a realistic picture of the situation. Obviously none of that bothers most of us because we own and enjoy the cars - just go into the buying decision with your eyes open.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds like it may not be the car for you. If you think you'll drive it a couple of years, then sell/trade it off, you'll probably lose a lot of money. If you really love the car, and decide that's what you want-irrespective of problems- gonna keep it forever-then maybe you should buy it. Would you buy and drive on the road an MGB? Don't make 'em any more, parts not the easiest thing to find, known for their "quirks".....
Hubert

·
Registered
8 Posts
Knowing Olds was going by-by didn't stop my from buying a new Acheiva
same with Pontiac,I bought a new G6 & a New Vibe.I wanted a new Solstice then also,but had 3 Vettes in the driveway,I just sold the last 2,now Im toy shoppen again.Thats why Im here.Had a new G5 also,but had a accident,not my fault,it was fixed,but I traded it in on the Vibe,long story.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Sounds like it may not be the car for you. If you think you'll drive it a couple of years, then sell/trade it off, you'll probably lose a lot of money. If you really love the car, and decide that's what you want-irrespective of problems- gonna keep it forever-then maybe you should buy it. Would you buy and drive on the road an MGB? Don't make 'em any more, parts not the easiest thing to find, known for their "quirks".....
Hubert
Moss Motors in California had everything I ever needed for my MGB. Easy car to work on and dependable. Would love to get an MGBGT some day but right now I'm having too much fun with my 09 coupe:cool:

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Moss Motors in California had everything I ever needed for my MGB. Easy car to work on and dependable. Would love to get an MGBGT some day but right now I'm having too much fun with my 09 coupe:cool:
Yes, the old MG parts situation is better than ever.

My wife drives her MGC all summer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a 2009 GXP Turbo with less than 3,800 miles! Was an impulse purchase and I never drive it. I've got it on a battery tender and start the engine once monthly. It's a fun car to drive. I just needed something larger for business purposes. It's for sale if you are interested.

You won't go wrong with a Solstice, they are great cars!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ah yes, California.... And your local dealer is?????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts