Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I think this story got away from them. They said something, maybe meant something else and the news media ran wild with it. The GM killing an entire line story ran world-wide! Maybe pruning off certain models is a better way to go.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Damage control vs. self fulfilling prophecy. Last thing GM needs at this time is for dealerships to start behaving like they are about to loose their franchise.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,405 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Maybe the headline should read "GM Removes Foot from Mouth!" :lol:
May be so,
but why didn't Lutz himself write the letter since he was the one that start it. I am sure if their bottom line does not improve by 2007 then some line(s) will be phase out.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
LatinVenom said:
May be so,
but why didn't Lutz himself write the letter since he was the one that start it.
Lutz is grounded, he can't play with his Solstice for 2 months. He can only talk to the media through his blog (where someone else can edit him first ;) )

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LatinVenom said:
May be so,
but why didn't Lutz himself write the letter since he was the one that start it. I am sure if their bottom line does not improve by 2007 then some line(s) will be phase out.
It depends on how much say he really has. There has been some rumors that he does not have the broad sweeping powers GM would lead us to believe he has, in which case, he might not have the authority to act on everything he says.

If the brands really tank, one could be gone. However, reports indicate both are still profitable for GM. As long as they are profitable, it would make no sense at all to kill one.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DreamerDave said:
Help me with my timeline. Was Lutz involved with the demise of Plymoth?
Luts was long gone. Plymouth was phased out after the merger (buyout) by Damiler Benz, and Luts was gone from Chrysler by then.

In fact, had Lee Iacocca allowed Lutz to become CEO of Chrysler instead of Robert Eaton, their might still be a Plymoth today, and Chrysler might still be an independent American company not owned by a German company.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DreamerDave said:
Thanks. And we'd all be posting on CudaForum.com instead of here. :)
Maybe the Plymouth Pronto Spyder forum. I loved that concept, and would have bought a copy had they produced it! :)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
"We are not discussing or planning the elimination of any of our brands," Mark LaNeve, GM's sales and marketing chief for North America, told dealers in an e-mail Thursday. "On the contrary, we're investing more heavily than ever on new products and marketing programs."

While LaNeve said there are no plans to drop a division, he said GM will slim down a brand's offerings if necessary to focus marketing efforts and other costs on promising products.

"If there has to be four or five (models) ... as opposed to nine or 10, I'll make that trade-off," he said.

LaNeve promised the company would "reignite Pontiac's muscular design and street credibility" and build Buick as a brand with vehicles that are the "quietest and highest-quality."

:patriot: These guys are very aware of the threat of world capital saturation. They've lost half of their sales over a 20 year period. They do need to cut losses and focus on what once worked for the consumer & the company.

New times = new approaches for marketing = Trump media/internet = generated interest/sales.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
solli4me said:
Trump media/internet = generated interest/sales.
This equation has yet to be proven to be effective. Pretty much all the excitement about the Solstice has been generated by the car it's self, and not any new media marketing approach. Giving away some 200 odd G6s on Oprah, was new and different, but in the end I don't think it helped G6 sales at all. In that case, it's the car and price that is holding it back.

Marketing creates awareness of a product in the general populace, and that is a very nessicary thing for a new product, but it still comes down to the product it's self and it's value on the open market that makes the sale. The Trump stunt, and this website, will do a lot help sell the Solstice, but in the end it will be the hot looks of the car, driven by the first 1000 in the streets, that will drive folks to the showrooms. In this case, the car will sell it's self.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
:agree:

The Mustang in 64 sold a gazillion copies, but it wasn't because of great marketing, although I'm sure that helped.

It sold because it was the right car at the right time. It had pizazz, good value, and it was the right size for people who weren't looking for another giant sedan, much like people today are starting to tire a litle bit of the giant SUV.

Somebody's going to hit on that magic formula again soon, and I hope it's GM.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Sorry, somewhat tangential rant...

The "Trump factor" has been documented in marketing circles. Dove supposedly had a great launch of their body wash, even though the commercials developed by both of the teams were so awful that my 4-yr-old niece with a handheld could have done better.

The most successful "new product launch" so far has been P&G's Vanilla-Mint toothpaste - intro'd on apprentice.

BK has had very strong sales of their new sandwiches, and a blip in their sandwich sales after the airing of the Apprentice episode.

Having said that - I still am a firm believer that "marketing stunts" do not equal "strong and sustained sales".

They do generate buzz, but as I've posted on other sites, this is only a temporary buzz - like mutual funds, past performance is not indicative of future results (read your prospectus thoroughly, and invest with caution...). This temporary blip in sales must be followed by good product percieved as value - or it is a flash-in-the-pan with the "buzz" sales volume barely covering the cost of the stunt.

Like the Oprah-G6 debacle. It has been estimated that Pontiac would have had to sell an additional 26,000 G6's above and beyond their projected sales just to recover the cost of the giveaway. Think about it - that $7.5M could have gone toward more expensive quality interior materials, with cash left over...

I'm sure the Apprentice thing is prolly low cost for GM. It gives the Donald a show, and it gives exposure to 15M viewers that wouldn't have normally been reached - saturated with a half hour of the Solstice interspersed with the rest of the show.

But it was neither necessary nor sufficient to SUSTAIN the car. As Skycaptain has said before, success of a platform should be measured in how many "generations" that it goes through (or re-generations, if you want to measure it that way). Fiero=0 therefore Failure. F-car=3 therefore quite successful. Miata=2 and counting therefore pretty successful. 'Vette=5 VERY successful. J-car (believe it or not)=1.5 (a minor update in late 80's, re-generated in '95) with LOTS of brands since '81 therefore surprisingly successful.

The mustang and the 300c - where's their marketing stunt? Certainly nothing as elaborate as the G6. Someone please remind me if I'm missing it.

The Apprentice will not make the Kappa sucessful. Only the Kappa can make the Kappa successful.

I just hope to heaven that this "first 1000" doesn't backfire. Maybe the dealers figure out that this could be a hot seller and as a conglomerate (with the exception of GTOJ, conejo, smalldealer) tack on $2500-$5000. Talk about BUZZKILL. Maybe there's a significant problem that requires these first 1000 to be recalled (remember the Ford GT...). We must all keep in mind that this is just the first 1000. I certainly hope to be getting my second Solstice in about 2008 or 2009, and maybe my third in 2012... :thumbs:

Rant off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Right on Solsticeman

:agree: I totally agree that you can measure a cars success by how many times it gets re-worked (rather then tanked all together). Even more so when the car fills a niche that is not otherwise occupied by anything from that brand.

Im still bitter about loosing the F-car, and I think GM has made a lot of mistakes when they have re-worked cars (eg Impala). I hope that Solstice generation 2 is as good id not better as generation 1 looks to be.

I just really hope Pontiac figures out that they have no business selling a minivan and an SUV, leave that to Chevy, and spend more money on developing sports cars that have some real performance that average guys like me can actually efford without auctioning off my internal organs.

Solstice is a good start.........

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well said S-man.

As one of the journalists who recently wrote an article about GM's problems stated...

"It's the product, stupid"

They are either good on there own merit, and will sell. Or they are substandard, and they won't. No marketing gimmick will change that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts