Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-07-12-nsx-usat_x.htm

After 15 years, the NSX sports car is dead. Honda claims to be working on an eventual replacement, but the article doesn't really give many details.

The car has gotten long in the tooth, especially compared to current competition. 290 HP really isn't enough anymore for a $90K sports car. However, I think the styling has worn well on the car, and with only 9000 having been sold in the US it has managed to remain fairly exclusive even after 15 years of production.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
When this car was released I must admit I really wanted one!! Isure couldn't afford it, and never thought it was worth the money in comparison, but it sure looked good!!

Funny story; I went to a Chamber of Commerce meeting at the Acura dealer way back when and they had one on the floor roped off. I had not seen anything on the car and didn't even know the name of it. So, when a salesman walked by I stopped him and I asked "How much is this car?" To which he replied (with his heavy accent) "Eighty thousand dollars." I then asked "What is it called?" and he said "The anal sex" My wife and I both looked at him in shock and said "WHAT?" To which he repeated "anal sex!" We just looked at each other and after a second I couldn't resist and turned to the guy and said
Spoiler: (Highlight this box to see the hidden message.)
"Isn't that an awful lot of money for a piece of ass?"
Needless to say, he was now as confused as we were!

It was only an hour later I finally found out the car's name as it was never badged!! We had a good laugh over that one!

I'm sorry to see it go!

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's the end of an era!

I've never driven one, but I have ridden in one. Nice car, really nice car. It's impressive in person, it's got an exotic presence, and you never see one on the road, so it's pretty distinctive. If I woke up with one next to me in bed, I wouldn't kick it out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
the line went "it looks just like a Ferrari, and its reliable too"

No one who ever drove or really wanted a Ferrari cared or looked twice at it.

neither did porsche, jag, BMW, alfa, or any other sprorscar lovers. (ok except some 'vette owners, none of whom fit in it or any of the latter)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Honda (and Accura) is having a very difficult time coming to grips with some features that will be absolutely necessary for performance car success in the rest of this decade ---- and the next several as well. These items are OHC V8 engines, front engine mount, and rear wheel drive. Oh, well, at least my S 2000 has the last two items! But for a car where you get very little change back for your $100K bill, AT LEAST an OHC V8 is an absolute must.

Honda was reportedly working on a V8 for this car to be mounted far back and in front of the driver with (of course) rear wheel drive. Guess nothing came of it -- yet.

Thanks,
Richard

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One interesting this I have read in the past about the NSX is that Honda developed it in response to Chevy's introduction of the ZR-1 Corvette. Honda wanted to prove they could design a car just as advanced as a Chevy.

Think about that a minute... just 15 years ago Honda was trying to prove it could keep up with GM's technology, now it is just the opposite!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Fformula88 said:
One interesting this I have read in the past about the NSX is that Honda developed it in response to Chevy's introduction of the ZR-1 Corvette. Honda wanted to prove they could design a car just as advanced as a Chevy.

Think about that a minute... just 15 years ago Honda was trying to prove it could keep up with GM's technology, now it is just the opposite!
But Honda never succeeded when you consider what the Corvette delivers at a much lower pricepoint.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Nice looking car. I'm sure it drives like a dream and never breaks down, but if there was ever a car that needed a V8 conversion, this is it! It's failure was guaranteed as soon as Honda refused to spend any more money on it's developement and evolution. Exotic car with a V6? Whaaaaa??? (In a Jon Stewart voice)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Jackie Stewart would disagree.
When the lotus Esprit first came out in '74 it was a 4cyl, full bore exotic and very cool. 197kW or 235 BHP. Wasn't til '98 that it got the 8 then the twin turbos. Last ones rolled off the line last fall, not a bad 30 year run.

Bond had a 4cyl white one (chicks car color...blah bla blah..)

·
Registered
58 Posts
in the 4 it was..... and at 30 years it was still a great car.
The leftovers are being snapped up for track cars. they are monsters, twin turbos and like nothing else for the money.

Supercar performance under a buck. where everything else is 150 and up. the Stradales are running 185 and the vantages are 175 &

·
Registered
49 Posts
SeaBayR said:
in the 4 it was..... and at 30 years it was still a great car.
The leftovers are being snapped up for track cars. they are monsters, twin turbos and like nothing else for the money.

Supercar performance under a buck. where everything else is 150 and up. the Stradales are running 185 and the vantages are 175 &
A Z06 will only set you back 75 brand new....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts