Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks. Prune off some of the duplicate models and older stuff....it's all about the product :)

Still, George Fowler, a Pontiac, Buick and GMC dealer in Dearborn, Mich., says GM needs to "throw out" its poorer-selling cars and trucks. Fowler says his salespeople spend too much time negotiating deals to persuade customers to buy GM cars, and several models sit on the lot for months without a single sale.

How important is product to a troubled company? Carlos Ghosn, the CEO who turned struggling Nissan around, says there's "no problem at a car company that good product won't solve. Everything is about product."

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
This type of article I have to agree with. I feel these types of issues, especially the ones in the image slide show if you watch it are hurting GM as a whole.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Can the Solstice really save GM?

Just my $.02 but I don't think the Solstice, Sky or G6 are what GM really needs. They're great cars and they certainly don't hurt but they have a very limited market. In the U.S. right now they need a great SUV, hybrid and mini-van to turn them around.

OTOH, The first manufacturer to design a super-sized SUV (Expedition to Suburban class) that gets 30mpg while towing a small ocean liner (I.e. a patio boat) is going to take home a major chunk of the market share pie.

The more applicable question for Solstice devotees is what happens to the value of our Solstice if GM fails to make a turn around? Does the Solstice name go down with the ship if the Pontiac/GM brand appeal completely sinks?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
solsticedreamin said:
Just my $.02 but I don't think the Solstice, Sky or G6 are what GM really needs. They're great cars and they certainly don't hurt but they have a very limited market. In the U.S. right now they need a great SUV, hybrid and mini-van to turn them around.

OTOH, The first manufacturer to design a super-sized SUV (Expedition to Suburban class) that gets 30mpg while towing a small ocean liner (I.e. a patio boat) is going to take home a major chunk of the market share pie.

The more applicable question for Solstice devotees is what happens to the value of our Solstice if GM fails to make a turn around? Does the Solstice name go down with the ship if the Pontiac/GM brand appeal completely sinks?
I agree that GM could really use a hybrid to capitalize on the current gas savings trend that is pushing Priuses out the door. They are working on hybrids in a joint venture with DaimlerChrysler, but they won't be ready for a little while.

In the meantime, what they need is a high volume hit. Whether its a car, SUV, whatever. Just something that people want, and that draws buyers from other brands. If they had that, the car would sell close to sticker, and GM would be making good money on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts