·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_gm_race_solstice/

GM to Race Solstice

By Kevin Kelly
WardsAuto.com, Apr 13 2005

GM will try to boost the image of its Pontiac brand by racing the Solstice in the SCCA Showroom Stock-B class and the Grand Am Cup ST-Class.

DETROIT - General Motors Corp. says it plans to race its Pontiac Solstice in future Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Showroom Stock B-Class races against the Mazda Miata and BMW M3.

The auto maker also will use the Solstice to compete on the Grand Am Cup ST-Class racing circuit in 2006, according to Mark Reuss, executive director of GM's Performance Div.

Reuss says the Solstice that will enter the racing circuit will be the '07 Solstice GT Coupe.

“We have the '06 Pontiac Solstice, (and) right now the car we're introducing doesn't have a roof, so look for that to change,” he tells attendees at the Society of Automotive Engineers conference here.

Reuss says while the Stock-B Class has been dominated by Mazda's Miata, as well as the BMW Z4 and Acura RSX, he expects the Solstice to “take that championship” when the car hits the Stock-B circuit next year.

The Solstice Coupe also will compete in the Grand Am ST Class racing circuit against the BMW 330 and Mazda RX-8 next year, Reuss adds.

The experience gained on the racing circuit will continue to play a vital role in developing performance derivatives of future GM products, he says.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coupe, when referred to in this context, may relate to it being a 2-door, not necessarily hardtop.

Some of this content doesn't jive with my sources - so stay tuned, am looking into it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
solsticeman said:
...right now the car we're introducing doesn't have a roof, so look for that to change...
Sounds like their talking about a hardtop to me. Of course, I don't care. I think everything should be topless! :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
solsticeman said:
Coupe, when referred to in this context, may relate to it being a 2-door, not necessarily hardtop.

Some of this content doesn't jive with my sources - so stay tuned, am looking into it.
Yeah, but right after that he clarifies what he's saying.
“We have the '06 Pontiac Solstice, (and) right now the car we're introducing doesn't have a roof, so look for that to change,” he tells attendees at the Society of Automotive Engineers conference here.
He's pretty much saying there's going to be a hard top Coupe in 2007. I wonder how much lighter AND cheaper a Coupe version of this car would end up being. Maybe we'll get a Solstice Coupe Club Sport edition, they'll drop the forced induction engine on us at the same time. :D

That's very exciting, but on the other hand that's really soon after the Roadster comes out. Brings the "should i get the EOP, or should I wait" feeling again. :(

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Pontiac back in racing! Thats great. I will have to shift my alligance (from Chevy) for road course events anyway! :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For most of the convertibles that run Showroom Stock a minimum of a "removable hardtop" is required. Now, IIRC, SCCA can still approve a package with a non-OEM hardtop, as long as it is recommended by the mfgr.

The "rumored removable hardtop" from the GM accessories would/could also fit this bill.

Here's what makes this somewhat puzzling - in order to race in the 2006 calandar year season - the manufacturer has to provide an example of the car for SCCA approval sometime in the fall of the previous year. It must be approved and published by the Dec. issue of SportsCar (it may be January - can't recall exactly).

This was part of the controversy of the BMWZ4 SCCA club racing fiasco last year - something to do with when the car was approved, and whether the approved hardtop was readily available or only available to certain individuals... don't know all the details, but it was very messy.

That means intense development of racing versions, oh, right about now. Like the miata racer. With examples of the hardtop (IF there is such a thing in existence). None of the people I've communicated with have seen a hardtop, a running coupe, or anything that indicates it is only months away.

This makes me wonder how "tied in" Reuss is to the development of the Solstice.

I also find it interesting that they would miss an opportunity to run in T2 with the F/I. Grand Am Cup is quite big dollars - anyone here watch Grand Am Cup regurlarly?

So, stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Open cars (Z4, Miata) must use a factory removable hardtop (bolted on) in SCCA SSB. They will not be allowed to race the Solstice untill the top is available to the public

With an almost 400 lb weight disadvantage to the new Miata, their going to have their work cut out.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grand-Am
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Grand American Road Racing Association or Grand-Am is an auto racing series that was established in 1999 to bring stability to professional endurance road racing in America. Grand Am features 2 different sanctioned series of Auto Racing. One is the Rolex Sports Car Series, the other being the Grand Am Cup series.

The Rolex Sports car series is a Class based series similar to the Le Mans 24 Hours. The top class, the Daytona Prototypes, feature purpose built chassis and engines built to regulation and sold to teams in the interest of keeping operating costs low and attempting to ensure equality through the field. For 2005, the Grand Touring (GT) and Super Grand Sport (SGS) were consolidated into a single Grand Touring class, which features high-tech Sports car models approved by Grand-Am like the Chevrolet Corvette, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, Ferrari 360 Modena, and BMW M3.

The Grand Am Cup is a production based racing series, separated into two classes. Grand Sport includes Production Sports cars, and Sport Touring consists of four-door sedans and sport coupes. Grand-Am Cup events are usually support events for Rolex Sports Car events.

The crown jewel of the Rolex Sports car season is the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona, which is the first race of the year.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and from http://www.grand-am.com/

the March 05 list of Sport Touring cars.

Class - Team Name - Car Serial # - Name - Make/ Model - Car# - Builder:
ST Performance Eng 1011 Chuck Goldsborough Lexus IS300 0 Team Lexus
ST Performance Eng 1010 Chuck Goldsborough Lexus IS300 2 Team Lexus
ST Performance Eng 1005 Chuck Goldsborough Lexus IS300 3 Team Lexus
ST LM Racing WAUCB28DOWA070463 John Legg Audi A4 Quattro 8 LM Racing
ST TC Kline 4USBT33473LR61255 TC Kline BMW Z4 12 TC Kline Racing
ST BMW WMWRE33452TD52114 Tony Nuzzo Mini Cooper S 20 Nuzzo Motorsports
ST BMW WMWRE33472TD52101 Tony Nuzzo Mini Cooper S 21 Nuzzo Motorsports
ST CSL Racing Jerry Spangler BMW 330i 22 CSL Racing
ST HBAR Motorsport JM1FE173040139973 Ray Gurucharri Mazda RX-8 25 HBAR Motorsports
ST Doc B Racing JM1BJ225121605569 Tom Bork Mazda Protégé 26 Doc B Racing
ST HART JH4DC53092C001228 Bill Fenton Acura RSX-S 27 Bill Fenton Motorsports
ST HART JH4DC53072C000661 Bill Fenton Acura RSX-S 29 Bill Fenton Motorsports
ST Powell GA2005-0003 Bo Roach Chevrolet Cobalt 32 Franklin American MortgageMotorsports
ST BMW 4USCK3323WLE26033 Karl Thomson BMW Z3 Coupe 36 Compass 360 Racing
ST BMW WBABN53481JU20815 Matt Connolly BMW 330ci 39 Connolly Motorsports
ST Powell Motorsport GA-05-0001 Ed Magner Chevrolet Cobalt 48 WTF Engineering
ST SpeedSource JMFE173440133268 Frank Howard Mazda RX-8 49 Southpaw Racing
ST SpeedSource JM1FE173340127817 Frank Howard Mazda RX-8 50 Southpaw Racing
ST 1YVHP80D435M00290 Dennis Baglier Mazda Mazda 6 57 Baglieracing
ST Nissan/ DEI Rac Body in White Ed Wong Nissan Sentra SER 62 DEI Racers Group
ST SpeedSource JM1FE173340101251 Sylvain Tremblay Mazda RX-8 65 SpeedSource
ST SpeedSource JM1FE173740119624 Sylvain Tremblay Mazda RX-8 66 SpeedSource
ST SpeedSource JM1FE173240108532 Sylvain Tremblay Mazda RX-8 67 SpeedSource
ST SpeedSource JM1FE173240120373 Sylvain Tremblay Mazda RX-8 68 SpeedSource
ST SpeedSource JM1FE173940101769 Sylvain Tremblay Mazda RX-8 70 SpeedSource
ST TC Kline 4USBT53423LT20123 TC Kline BMW Z4 71 TC Kline Racing
ST BMW 7874532 John Munson BMW 330 72 Anchor Racing LLC
ST Honda/ Kensai R JH4CL95894C000914 Peter Schwartzott Acura TSX 74 Kensai Racing
ST Honda/ Kensai JH4DC53002C000033 Michael Thornley Acura RSX-S 75 Kensai Racing
ST BMW/ BGB Moto WBACK31090LD55240 Duane Neyer BMW Z3 82 BGB Motorsports
ST Red Line Motors JH4CL95934C000030 Tom Stewart Acura TSX 86 Stewart Motorsports
ST Honda JH4DC2316YSOD3279 Paul Moorcones Acura Integra R 94 Radial Motorsports
ST BMW Will Turner BMW 330i 95 Turner Motorsport
ST BMW WBAEV53424KM05979 Will Turner BMW 330i 97 Turner Motorsport
ST Red Line Motors JH4CL95984C000024 Tom Stewart Acura TSX 98 Stewart Motorsports
ST Powell Mike Kuznicki Chevrolet Cobalt 00 Georgian Bay Motorsports
ST Powell Mike Kuznicki Chevrolet Cobalt 01 Georgian Bay Motorsports
ST BMW 4USCH7329TLB65072 Karl Thomson BMW Z3 06 Compass 360 Racing

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Dreaming...Solstice GT coupe (hardtop since they call the softop coupe as well) to take on Miata, why stop there when RX8 is in sight. Maybe a longer wheelbase stretched Kappa with a minimal back seat and Al block V8 up front. And a big old fat chicken on the hood.

·
Registered
60 Posts
achieftain said:
Dreaming...Solstice GT coupe (hardtop since they call the softop coupe as well) to take on Miata, why stop there when RX8 is in sight. Maybe a longer wheelbase stretched Kappa with a minimal back seat and Al block V8 up front. And a big old fat chicken on the hood.
OOOH! Maybe a shaker scoop, too! With T-tops! :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
pontiacinblack said:
OOOH! Maybe a shaker scoop, too! With T-tops! :lol:
And a Burt Reynolds movie with :cheers: lots of :cheers:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Then we can all move back into trailer parks! And carry switchblades in our socks!!
:jester:

OK, I must admit I still have very fond memories of my second car... a '78 Gold Special Edition (Y-88) T/A with T-tops and a 400/4-speed.

...and Smokey and the Bandit is one of my favorite movies. Maybe I should change my playlist (in the other thread) to include East-Bound and Down and West-Bound and Down

·
5,641 Posts
The Boys Are Thirsty In Atlanta
And There's Beer In Texarkana

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unofficial talk is any version of a true coupe has not gone further than concept (think like the orange 2002 concept).

The BMW Z4's that you see in Grand Am Cup are permantly affixed "removable" hardtops - but they are also called "coupes" - so that's likely what they mean by "coupe", in this context - a Solstice with a permantly affixed removable hardtop.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Top info

Don't know if anyone's posted this yet or not.

From Ward's Auto World:
DETROIT - General Motors Corp. says it plans to race its Pontiac Solstice in future Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Showroom Stock B-Class races against the Mazda Miata and BMW M3.

The auto maker also will use the Solstice to compete on the Grand Am Cup ST-Class racing circuit in 2006, according to Mark Reuss, executive director of GM's Performance Div.

Reuss says the Solstice that will enter the racing circuit will be the '07 Solstice GT Coupe.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts