Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an idea when we can expect the next set of significant news on the car to be released? Is the earliest likely to be at the NAIS in January?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
There was supposedly going to be some new Saturn Kappa news released, but that never happened. Also the 10th Annual Woodward Dream Cruise starts the 19th of this mopnth and GM has said the Solstice will be on show there. Who knows if we'll get new info though.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Actually,

I HIFAFWHIFAF, there WAS something that was shown this last weekend, supposedly had something to do with the Saturn Kappa, but mum's the word because of some "embargo" on the info.

Couldn't get where it was shown, whether anyone got to drive one, or any other info than "just stay tuned."

I'll just keep doing the three-year-old trick:

Pleeeeaaaasse! C'mon. Oh man! That's not fair! Will you tell me now? How bout now? PLEEEEEEEAAAASE! I'll hold my breath until you tell me....
...still holding my breath...
...still holding...

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, that information release might have been to the press, and not the general public. Which means we have to wait till whatever NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) is in place on the press before the publish whatever new info they have. Who knows.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
next big news is going to be on the Saturn Kappa. They were supposed to release details about a week ago but it never happened. Still, I would expect word on it to be out before the NAIAS in January, with a production prototype on display at that show (as the Sosltice was displayed last year).

The big question I have is whether we can expect a finalized Solstice prototype at the '05 NAIAS? One with a working top, any detail changes that are in the works, etc. Or will they roll out the same old prototype we have been looking at for a year.

It will also be interesting to see whether Chevy rolls out another Kappa concept to guage interest, or any other division for that matter. Maybe some more logn wheelbase concepts?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Maybe some more logn wheelbase concepts?

I know it is probably just me, but the long wheel base Kappas are unattractive. If the Nomad and Curve had been swb two seaters I would have like both much more. My hope is that a least one Kappa will be a sporty two seater coupe.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fformula88 said:
The big question I have is whether we can expect a finalized Solstice prototype at the '05 NAIAS? One with a working top, any detail changes that are in the works, etc. Or will they roll out the same old prototype we have been looking at for a year. ....
If they don't have one ready by then maybe they will by the April New York show. That would actually be closer for me, but I'd settle for Detroit if I could get a glimpse of it 4 months earlier.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I think we'll know all in time for the Detroit show in Jan 2005. Specs, prices, production car on display the whole 9 yards. Look at this year's big press release on Solstice it was Jan 4th. Jan is time when all good boys and girls start looking toward auto show season :cool

·
Registered
110 Posts
Saturn Kappa

Hey I don't know a whole lot about cars. What is the Saturn Kappa? Is it something I would be able to attend in Southern California????

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Pammysoltice said:
Hey I don't know a whole lot about cars. What is the Saturn Kappa? Is it something I would be able to attend in Southern California????
"Kappa" is just GM's name for the platform the Solstice is built on. All of the newer platforms GM is using these days are designated by letters of the greek alphabet. For instance, the Saturn VUE and the Chevy Equinox (both small/midsize sport utes) are built on GM's "Theta" platform. The platform developed for our beloved Solstice has been designated "Kappa".

Without getting too technical, the platform is basically the foundation of the car. By sharing common platforms across several divisions, automakers cut production costs significantly.

So, we're pretty sure that Saturn will get a car based on the same "Kappa" platform as the Solstice is based on. Saturn showed a concept called "Curve" at the Detroit (I believe) autoshow last year. It was a 2+2 hardtop coupe. The current buzz is that the Curve has been dumped, and Saturn will instead get a Kappa car more like the Vauxhall Lightning concept that was also at the Detroit (or New York, maybe) autoshow. The Lightning is a 2-seat convertible (roadster, like the Solstice) with modern "edgy" styling. It looks a helluva lot better than the Curve did, and to some it looks even better than the solstice.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Or will they roll out the same old prototype we have been looking at for a year.
Speak for yourself. I still haven't even seen the first prototype from a couple of years ago, much less the "production" version from this year. But it'd be nice to know somewhere the public is setting in my next new car. Hopefully by next spring they'll have the production line rolling.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Speak for yourself. I still haven't even seen the first prototype from a couple of years ago, much less the "production" version from this year. But it'd be nice to know somewhere the public is setting in my next new car. Hopefully by next spring they'll have the production line rolling.
You haven't seen it in the flesh, but you have seen all the pics! :thumbs It sounds like you need to plan a pilgrimage to Detroit this January to see some Solstices! :cool

1 - 15 of 15 Posts