Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a long time waiting.
I'm not happy about the Wait .But next time you make a new car,
Have them ready for sale, I can say I would not Buy a G.M. car in the future.
You must keep us updated. Or you are going to lose out to better cars & dealers.

Just VENTING

·
Registered
905 Posts
It is a shame that they created such a nice car, but are leaving such a bad taste in so many of our mouths. Next time (which won't be for a LONG time) I buy a car, it most likely won't be a Pontiac (or a GM car) as a result of what's gone on with the Solstice.

Hopefully they can redeem themselves with getting all our cars delivered in a timely fashion. If it means contracting more trucks to get them out then so be it, there's no excuse for having hundreds of cars sitting in that parking lot. Eventually they're going to run out of parking lot space, what are they going to do at that point? Stop production?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I completely agree. I want this car bad but the whole experience has kind of soured me on Pontiac and GM.

They really need to work on how they manage customer expectations, information dissemination, and avoid building hype far before they are able to follow through with production.

As far as I know they haven't made any promises they haven't kept but they still seem to have fumbled early on in meeting reasonable customer expectations.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Limbo said:
I completely agree. I want this car bad but the whole experience has kind of soured me on Pontiac and GM.

They really need to work on how they manage customer expectations, information dissemination, and avoid building hype far before they are able to follow through with production.

As far as I know they haven't made any promises they haven't kept but they still seem to have fumbled early on in meeting reasonable customer expectations.
:agree: Well, the first 1K were all promised their cars before the end of October, so we will see if they fulfill their promises.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Still clicking my red slippers every day for you, MSSleeper! Yours must be another that has gone into Stealth mode, dropped completely off the radar. We have to find a way to get that image on the screen, and your car in your hands!! :willy:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
It has been a bad experience, but to say you would never buy any GM car again? How many times in your life would you put money down on a car that has not been built yet, with full knowledge and warning delivery could take up to 6 months (April to end of October)? What if the GM car you wanted was on the lot? You wouldn't have to worry about delivery time, information about delays, and all of that. The Sol experience would be a moot point.

Or if you did order another GM product, which they said may take 6 months to deliver, would you still be upset after 5 months that the car they told you would coudl take 6 months had not arrived yet?

I know everyone wants all the information they can get, but I do not think GM has been as negligent as people think. I know consumers are demanding these days, but GM still is yet to break their promise on starting deliveries in the summer, or getting the first 1000 delivered by the end of October. Yes, they are starting to cut it close, but most 1K buyers have their cars now, and the last remaining few will get them by the end of the month.

Just stay patient people.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The whole process hadn't been thought out.

Why is it fair that a person who ordered their car in August could have his car before someone who ordered back in April? If GM gave us more information on how the orders were being picked up that would make the wait more bearable. I never expected to get my car before late September/early October, but the lack of a clear cut information as to when I can expect it is killing me.

I'm #1 of 3 at my dealer and I just went to 3400 yesterday, meanwhile other dealers have already received their #1s or more and they're not even in the South. Which brings me to another point, the northern states should have received preference as we're running out of nice weather for top down driving. The South has all year for the most part, aside from a few chilly days.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think part of the problem is the business thinking of the big car companies. They're more worried about stock prices than they are about building great cars.

Take the whole GM badging idea - that wasn't to sell cars so much, as to sell the image of GM.

GM's stock price isn't going to tumble because of a few disgruntled customers getting their cars late. This scenario is actually great for GM, because they can boast that they'll sell every single Solstice that they make, they can't make them fast enough.

·
Registered
819 Posts
And that MAY have been the thought process all along, Batman. To this point, GM can't be accused of underperforming, at least not to what they have stated, just that they are disappointing prospective buyers. I see GM trying to get the job done, but aslso see some of their dealers really giving them a black eye, undeservedly. Cars are coming off the line. Cars are being delivered, some not as soon as I would think even GM would like. Selling cars at greater than MSRP, and not letting prospective buyrs know they plan to do that, and people who expect a "normal" delivery process are concerns that I am sure they are well aware of.

I have been a GM fan for years, but not always loyal. The best thing I have seen with this whole process is GM thinking outside the box. This is a GREAT car, widely anticipated and desired. I don't see a need to vent at this time. I would reserve my vents if I bought a car that was delivered in a state that it was in constant need of repair. I would rather they test, test and test my car, then ship it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Timely?

It is to bad that the first 1000 are now delivered after regular sales is the good? How will this make good sales. :devil:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Apparently people haven't paid attention to how the other car companies operate on their new model releases too. It's done the exact same way.

Mustang GT
Lotus Elise
PT Cruiser
VW Bug
etc
etc
etc

They all get ordered well in advance, they all get down payments on them in advance, they all go into the system in advance, oh and guess what, they all got delayed at some point or another too. They all had next to no information about their releases coming out or where they were in transit as well.

I get tired of hearing people blame GM for being "teh suck!11!!" compared to everyone else, when everyone else operates the exact same way. The only way to have them ready for sale would have been if GM sat on 14,000 cars with 1166.6666666666666666666666666667 trucks sitting in waiting to move them all at once since each truck only holds 12 cars.

If people don't want to wait go buy an MX-5, because apparently there's enough of them sitting on lots because people didn't want them that bad.

:brentil: There's a reason this little guy is named after me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
crawdadsolstice said:
Still clicking my red slippers every day for you, MSSleeper! Yours must be another that has gone into Stealth mode, dropped completely off the radar. We have to find a way to get that image on the screen, and your car in your hands!! :willy:
Your red slippers must be fake...lol :lol: I appreciate your well wishes and will accept any magic that you can produce. :lol:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Whining and Complaining. REALITY CHECK TIME. I read about GM not getting things delivered on time, but in the real world that some of us live in stuff like this happens ALL the time. Especially stuff that's in high demand. And for the guys who complain about recalls and Pontiac not getting it done right the first time, read on. Couple current examples:

Microsoft

Vista Operating System (which actually isn't in high demand) is delayed TWO YEARS, and to even make it for release in 2K6 they had to drop some major stuff. And this is from the company which has about 10,000 programmers.

Gaming Systems,

XBOX
PS2
XBOX360

At launch time, there was never enough to supply demand. PS3 was also delayed 'til 2006. Originally was supposed to come out to compete with XBOS 360.

Christmas of '05, there was a HUGE shortage of PS2's and XBOX. And that's for stuff that's been out a couple years.

Factory Recalls:

Sony PS2. The original PS2, when it first came out, had serious overheating issues, and Sony had to eventually replace all of them. Last month Sony recalled a couple million power adapters. Again a recall from a major corporation and this was on a 5 year old item (new version though)

Honda Accords. Recalled to replace air bags. Again this was on a vehicle model which had been around awhile.

(I forget the exact details on the next few)

Ford? recalled about a million vehicles because the ignition or starter would spontaneously combust (NICE).

Firestone Tires? Couple million recalled because of poor construction.

Recalls and delays happen ALL the time with every major and minor corporation. We don't realize this until we are directly involved. It's not like GM is the ONLY one which has this problem. I listed all the above examples, because they directly affected me. I'm sure there's plenty more examples, but because it doesn't directly affect me, I don't notice them.

Also for the complaints on advertising, I guess I need to watch more TV. Not including the articles/shows reviewing the Solstice, and besides the apprentice Program, I have only seen one commercial about the Solstice. And that was a commercial for Pontiac which happened to show the Solstice as one of the Pontiac vehicles. It was not a direct advertisement for the Solstice like you see with other vehicles. IMHO, Pontiac has been pretty low key with the Solstice (apprentice not included)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I agree with Fformula88 and Brentil. And I would add this. Some of you say you won't get another Pontiac, or another GM product. But what if you end up loving the Sol? And then, what if GM produces another "gotta have" car? Are you really going to pass it up just because you don't like the process? I think it is just a knee-jerk reaction and many of you would be right in there again and complaining on what ever forum it happens to be. Do I understand the frustration? Sure, because we all want a car today. But, in reality, GM didn't make us a promise like that, and other than the 1st 1k I haven't seen where they made any promises at all. And, lacking a broken promise, what do any of us have to be so upset about that we would say we will never purchase another GM product. I'm thinking we need a mass dose of chill pills. ;)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not ragging on the Solstice .
I feel if you have a product to sell. Have the thing in stock.And if
you have to order it ,Have a tracking system that the Buyer or Seller
can get reliable information.
No I fell for this car a long time ago. and I'm only venting .
I'm the type of person who gets things done yesterday.
Not today not tomorrow. But yesterday

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Andrew Jackson said:
They do, it's called the dealerships. That's where they build up stock, you can track them all by the web, and view/sample all items.

We're breaking the norms by being so active with a car that's just coming hot off the presses. GM has NO system in place that's designed to track cars to the exact location it is for customers because 99 times out of 100 only the dealer is ever looking at the current systems to know where their batches are.

Expecting GM to put a system in place for the sole reason of appeasing Solstice buyers makes absolutely no sense, because once the cars are out of back log it wont be needed anymore.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brentil said:
They do, it's called the dealerships. That's where they build up stock, you can track them all by the web, and view/sample all items.

We're breaking the norms by being so active with a car that's just coming hot off the presses. GM has NO system in place that's designed to track cars to the exact location it is for customers because 99 times out of 100 only the dealer is ever looking at the current systems to know where their batches are.

Expecting GM to put a system in place for the sole reason of appeasing Solstice buyers makes absolutely no sense, because once the cars are out of back log it wont be needed anymore.
Look Relax
All dealers Suck and you no that.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Andrew Jackson said:
Look Relax
hehehe
All dealers but CC, SD, and GTOJ of course. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts
Andrew Jackson said:
You can vent all you want, it's a free country, but, having dealt with ordering 'pre-existing' models, and now a new model, there is a difference, but in either case, how it's working is very normal.

If you want something they have sitting around with dozens to choose from, then go get it. Cars like that are a dime a dozen.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Andrew Jackson said:
Look Relax
That you know is not true, despite the reputation and our perception. Without dealers you could not take possesson of the car unless GM put cars for sale inside Lowes and Home Depot (like John Deere and Cub Cadet) Buy it in a box and assemble it at home (maybe that part would be okay for some but the NHTSA would surely disapprove) But when you need service after the sale or warranty items there would be a big sticker on the hood telling you to call a tollfree number in Singapore for assistance.

The only part of your statement is "all dealers", which is the case, all dealers get limited information from not only GM, but Ford and on down the line. The true imports can tell you more because they bring in a literal boatload at a time.

Have you seen Jay Leno complaining about his Ford GT having to be taken out of service to have the front suspension reworked? Stuff happens, suppliers slip up or underperform. It is not only the low priced end of the market.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts