Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,

I love my Solstice other than the water-pump issue.

Mine went right on schedule at 30,000.

Will the replacement blow out at about 60,000?

I only drive it on Sunday now.

I will have 60,000 miles in about 10 years.

Should I buy a water pump and tension tool now?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Who knows.... They have redesigned it at least 6 times (from what I can tell with all of the supersession numbers). My new one, when it was replaced last year looked completely different then the original. My new one actually looked like it was only 3 pieces pressed together (I found my old post) where the old one looked like it was 6. Mine leaked out the rear of the pump...the last "seam". Something from my readings, I gather was odd. Most seem to fail (from what I read here*) around the seals and shafts. I wouldn't worry about it. If you buy one now, the seals maybe dried out in 10 years and it wouldn't work anyway! What I would do (as been discussed in other threads) is try to flush your coolant more regularly then what the owner's manual suggests. See this post: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/what-technically-causes-waterpumps-fail-74909/

We had a good discussion there on what causes them to fail. General consensus is the coolant balls up and gets in between the seals.

*Disclaimer - for those of you that may crucify me for not posting 100% truths and actual 100% technical data and copies of signed off reports from engineers.... (see http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f59/water-pump-broke-32-000-miles-95017/ )

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Ghost? Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?

There is no such thing as 100%

I'm with Shabby on the "you won't find it in 10 years" observation. I know I sure as hell wouldn't be able to! lol.

As others have pointed out elsewhere, this engine is used in several vehicle lines so I think you'll be able to find parts.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Thanks Ghost! Do you think I can find a water-pump in 10 years that will fit?
I don't know... I can't imagine that someone wouldn't have a replacement. There are too many LNF motors out there for someone not to make a replacement.... Just my thoughts.

I wouldn't be able to find it either in 10 years if I bought it today! :thumbs:

I don't see much consensus there.
We can take this offline if you like, I'm done with this on the public forums..... :cuss:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
We can take this offline if you like, I'm done with this on the public forums..... :cuss:
That's my observation from what I see in the linked thread. Some members discuss a bunch of theories as to why the water pump fails and I see no particular cause explicitly agreed to by a number of them in that thread, which could be described as consensus.

Is it a problem to point that out or say such? I thought a forum was a place to discuss info and interpretations among other things.

You are welcome to disagree. And if so, I'm interested in hearing where you find the consensus as I'm always open to more information and evidence from other's evaluations. If I never took in new information I'd still think Santa Claus existed.

If not, that's fine too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts