Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody think the bottle would fit in the trunkette? If not, you'd have to toss the passenger seat, I guess. I'm thinking a small shot, with a forced induction setup, to cool the charge.

Or maybe bolt it right onto the tonneau, out there for the world to see. Two 15 pound bottles! Yeah, that's the ticket!

·
Registered
281 Posts
You can probably fit bottles behind the passenger seat, they're available in a variety of sizes:

Did you watch that street racing documentary, I think it was called "The Fast & The Furious"? The red RX-7 had a whole bank of bottles under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my only concern with juicing the motor is whether NX, NOS, etc. has a WOT controller that will work in conjunction with the throttle by wire. It is very common for the factory tune on the PCM to vary the throttle angle even when your foot is to the floor, particularly near redline. If this is the case, you would have to ensure that the nitrous was deactivated when this happens. I've already heard of a few cases with C6 corvettes and nitrous not mixing well because of this. One thing is for sure, a 75 shot on this car would work wonders assuming the fuel pump and/or injectors (wet kit vs. dry kit) will support it. I won't be concerned about the injectors since I only like it wet.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I bet you can find bottles that will fit in the trunk. Its not THAT small.

:glol: @ the "F&F documentary" comments! :glol:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
8power said:
my only concern with juicing the motor is whether NX, NOS, etc. has a WOT controller that will work in conjunction with the throttle by wire. It is very common for the factory tune on the PCM to vary the throttle angle even when your foot is to the floor, particularly near redline. If this is the case, you would have to ensure that the nitrous was deactivated when this happens. I've already heard of a few cases with C6 corvettes and nitrous not mixing well because of this. One thing is for sure, a 75 shot on this car would work wonders assuming the fuel pump and/or injectors (wet kit vs. dry kit) will support it. I won't be concerned about the injectors since I only like it wet.

Yow! Probably better to hold off on this idea until there's more experience out there. I was thinking 75 shot, too. This is a returnless fuel system, right?

Anybody see the interview in Popular Hot Rodding(?) recently with one of the 2 founders of Nitrous Oxide Systems? He said that bigger bottles give consistently better results because the pressure inside the bottle stays higher during the run.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Funny you should say that...

All the 4 cylinder fanboys sing the praises of this motor and tout GM's success at pulling 1000hp, but fail to notice they were pushing 350+hp just by juicing it to get things started...

Of course, that's always been my problem with the ecotec fanboys. They fail to realize that GM started that project with a reliability distance of only 10 MILES (40 1/4 mile passes) before the motor would be junked... And all kinds of other nasty little shortcuts that will get you down the quarter mile but won't get you down to the grocery store...

Given enough money a lawnmower engine could produce that power for a short time & distance. The old 2.5 "Iron Duke" engine that was cursed upon the 80's GM cars had less than 100hp in it's production version, yet GM was able to get over 750hp out of it in the same kind of "see what we can do" expirament. But normal speedshops with every trick that a normal business could muster would be lucky to get 200hp out of the motor....

And yet most ecotec supporters think that 400, 450, 500hp out of the ecotec would be attainable in their daily drivers on a persons budget... :lol:

Anyway, on topic. There is nothing stopping nitrous from being used. Anything that makes you faster is fair. Technical issues will always arise, but those who are actually dedicated to speed will always find a way to deal with them. Just don't think you're going to have a 500hp 4 cylinder and still be able to drive down to see the newest action film in it...

·
Registered
40 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
Funny you should say that...

All the 4 cylinder fanboys sing the praises of this motor and tout GM's success at pulling 1000hp, but fail to notice they were pushing 350+hp just by juicing it to get things started...

And yet most ecotec supporters think that 400, 450, 500hp out of the ecotec would be attainable in their daily drivers on a persons budget... :lol:

Anyway, on topic. There is nothing stopping nitrous from being used. Anything that makes you faster is fair. Technical issues will always arise, but those who are actually dedicated to speed will always find a way to deal with them. Just don't think you're going to have a 500hp 4 cylinder and still be able to drive down to see the newest action film in it...
I don't think anybody is thinking about putting a 175+ Hp shot into this motor!!! :eek: With the size of the bottle that you could fit in it you would run out pretty fast.

And with 500 Hp this small car would be a MONSTER... :devil: And FYI there are quite a few VERY high Horse power (11-12 sec cars) Talons/Eclipses that are driven more than a 1/4 mile at a time.

You could easily do a 50 -75 hp shot and it would be reliable as any other motor on Nitrous, probably more reliable. However, I would be worried about the electronic throttle body issue mentioned earlier.

A couple of small bottles connected together would fit nicely in the trunk in the very back, and if a golf bag will fit, then a large bottle will also, but that’s it! :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts