Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first look review for these tires, not a glowing report;

I don't know if these tires need to break in but grip in cornering is not even close to the oems, they let loose under very little gforce and the car does not feel like it's on rails like it did with the oems.

I have a particular 180 turn up a hill I practice whipping the rear wheels out, with these tires the entire car slides out under almost no excelleration and I don't have much time to steer with the rear end

There are pros to the tires though;

Very quite, very smooth running, when they do break free they do it much more gradually then the oem which stuck till they didn't so sliding was very hard to control, the nittos let you know they are about to let loose and sliding is more controllable

I'll come back once I get them in the rain, I suspect that's where they will shine but dry pavement is a total disappointment

I do not recommend these tires, maybe my opinion will change once I have a few thousand miles on them but given the choice between these and oem on dry pavement I'll take the original equipment, however when i do get these in the rain the improvement might make up the difference

I'll update this review as I learn more about the tire

·
Registered
363 Posts
That's really disappointing to hear. Especially considering the high marks given by Motor Trend and other publications.

By the way, what were the OEM tires on the Solstice? I have Hercules something-or-others on there, but I doubt its them.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's really disappointing to hear. Especially considering the high marks given by Motor Trend and other publications.

By the way, what were the OEM tires on the Solstice? I have Hercules something-or-others on there, but I doubt its them.
I believe we had Goodyear Eagle F1

I am now surprised motor trend gave it such high marks, nitto themselves only give grip a single A, I believe our goodyears were rated AA, I thought possibly with technology the AA rating back then would not be as good as the A today however I see now that rationalization was way off, I can frankly say the f1's had double the grip over motivo, I can only hope rain driving is safer, if so these will be my winter only tires

I am going to try a suggestion by tomato soup, experimenting with tire pressure

·
Registered
355 Posts
i thought the motivos are all-season tires while the oem f1's are summer. if so, the motivos wont compare in dry conditions. theyre not supposed to. theyd be made of a different compound better able to withstand freezing temperatures as well as having more generic tread design versus summer tires.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
i thought the motivos are all-season tires while the oem f1's are summer. if so, the motivos wont compare in dry conditions. theyre not supposed to. theyd be made of a different compound better able to withstand freezing temperatures as well as having more generic tread design versus summer tires.
Not necessarily. The OEM F1's are crap (not to be confused with aftermarket F1 D-3's).

I (and many others) have the Continental DWS UHP all-seasons on the car. The dry grip and handling is FAR better than the OEMs, and the wet and cold handling/grip is in different league.

·
Registered
355 Posts
how many miles have you put on them?

i found this review by someone given the tires in exchange for sharing his review (or so he says):
http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/433304

he basically says theyre what youd expect from max perf all seasons, but are cheaper than most competitors.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
how many miles have you put on them?

i found this review by someone given the tires in exchange for sharing his review (or so he says):
http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/433304

he basically says theyre what youd expect from max perf all seasons, but are cheaper than most competitors.

thank you for that link, he might have the answer, he says there is a breaking in period, some kind of mold release compound that has to be warn off, he waited two weeks

I have to admit, it did occur to me even before I read that review, grip seems like there is a film or something, it doesn't squeal or anything when I slide around so this mold release agent might be the culprit, the tire actually feels like it needs some breaking in

I'll be back in a few weeks to and tell everyone if the performance improves

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.