Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy Guys, first off, I'm mainly a listener,not a talker so I read this forum alot. On Wed my wife said she wanted to take me to Red Lobster forour 40th annivesary and I was suprised when she said let's take the Solstice(2007 gxp,auto,5000 miles.On the way home I thought i would play a little just to here her yell at me like she always does. But when I kicked it down not much happened, the tach went up but no more speed.I saw a little light on the dash and it looked like a "transmission" to me without my reading glasses on. I thought it might be low on tranny fluid so when we get back home i start looking for a tranny dip stick(course you all know there ain't one). While looking i see shreaded newspaper under the plastic engine cover and thought UHOH! This can't be good. Pull the cover off and find a mouse nest under there.I cleaned it out with a shopvac. A friend came over and told me the light on the dash was the check engine light.I decide to pull the air cleaner lid off(having bad experiences with mice and motorcycles in the past) and find about a pint of sunflower seeds(nuts or kernels)in there.They chewed a hole in the filter to get into the top side of it.So,knowing all this and since you "gurus" amaze me with your knowledge of these cars,do you think the mice have"more stuff" in the turbo area and did I maybe hurt it driving it the 20 miles to town and back. Many tks in advance for any thoughts or ideas,Don

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Major clean out coming up.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hopefully, no material got by the filter. Check the intake on the turbo to be safe. Just loosen the hose clamp, and pop off the hose in the center of the turbo that connects to the airbox.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Your MAF is probably full of ..... and either needs to be clean or replace.
Take it out and inspected.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
On your plastic intake tube. You can see it on this photo, the thing with the wire out of it that's directly to the left of the red 'box' around the "Airbox Duct Elbow":

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tks fot thepic TS and to other replys. I have'nt checked anything yet(I don't trust myself fooling around under the hood of this baby). I do have a young friend who builds and pulls diesel pickups and he wants to bring over his computer,mzchine,thingy to plug into the sol.I'll show him your replys and he will check things out. Tks Don

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
You should also check all your turbo hoses and clamps to make sure there is no damage to any of those either.

·
Registered
848 Posts
You should also check all your turbo hoses and clamps to make sure there is no damage to any of those either.
Totally agree. If there was a hole made in the air cleaner and they were loading bird seed and what not in there, it very well could have sucked up into the turbo, be in the pipes, be in the hoses to the intercooler and clogging that as well.

On a side note, lesson learned for you if this vehicle is garaged kept, NO FOOD of any sort out there, period. The mice will find it, and your underhood is so nice and warm. Interesting story to me as we had a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer that we learned the same lesson on ( and yes they built a home in that airbox).

They also can chew on wires on what not, so you need to clean up your stuff right away. I also spent a lot of time making sure I went through every possible entrance to our garage, no matter how small.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to you all for your help,especially LatinVenom and TomatoSoup for the pic. It was the MAF that had a few small pieces of paper and one seed in it. Blowed it out with some air and all is fine now.Thanks to you guys I'll be sleeping better now. Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts