Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new to the forum and to the Solstice I bought a week ago. I'm loving this car and it's been driven every day but something has happened twice in the last two days that's got me concerned. After being garaged overnight, I have essentially no brakes in the morning. Both mornings, the car has been parked for 8-12 hours. I back out of the garage slowly but the brake pedal does not slow or stop the car until I pump the pedal several times. Once the brakes return to normal, they appear to be fine for the rest of the day. This morning, I nearly stood on the pedal to try to stop. It finally did (or there was enough tire-to-pavement resistance to stop the car) but I felt thumping in the pedal like ABS. To my surprise, I haven't found anything on this forum about this phenomenon but it doesn't appear to be just me from other reports I've found on other sites. Unfortunately, they only list people's reports of the occurrances and nothing about the solution, if any.

Is this a common issue? Might it get worse? Is there a fix?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After posting my questions, I found information on TSB 07-05-25-007B and how to deal with this until I get it corrected. Mods, if you see this, you can delete this thread if you like.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcomes.

Regarding the nuclear fix, I just read that thread. It might be the ultimate solution, but I bet I'd have a tough time getting it done at GM's expense since it's out of factory warranty. I just bought the car 10 days ago from a Cadillac dealer about an hour away. Used car, short dealer warranty, I figured unless something major happens it's on me anyway. It might be worth going back for the ECM programming but I'm not expecting much more. At least they're a GM dealer so they should be able to do it. Hopefully, the programming will be all this car needs.

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
I am assuming you have an 08. My wife's Sky is an 08 without the electric vacume pump. Occasionally after its been sitting a long time the vacume will bleed off and the brake will exhibit the "bad behavior". We have never experienced a total loss of braking. The pedal feel is different but they still function well. If you are not getting any brakes at all then its a safety issue and you should get GM to address it for you.

There is a recall that applies a software fix that should be covered no matter how much mileage you have on the car. In fact, have a local GM dealer pull a maintenance report for you and verify that it does not have the SW fix already applied. If GM has done work on the brake condition previously then you have even more leverage for getting them to address it for you now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am assuming you have an 08.
Yes, an 08. I don't lose brakes completely, although the first time this happened it was more than a little scarey. If I apply the brakes harder than usual, the car will stop. It feels different, it sounds different and it takes longer to stop. I've only tested this in my driveway backing out of the garage. If I let it run for a minute in the morning, everything seems to be okay.

I wasn't aware of an actual recall. I agree that GM would have to honor a recall, warranty or not. I've only seen the TSB 07-05-25-007B and the NHTSA Action PE08016. Has there been a change in the status?

It just happens that the sales rep who sold me the car called the other day to see how it was going. I told her about the TSB and she was going to talk to the service manager about what they could do. I haven't heard from her since. LOL

There are several dealers around who used to sell Pontiacs although that doesn't mean they still have any Pontiac techs anymore. Hopefully, one of them can/will do it, but I'll probably have to pay for it.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
If the dealer gives grief called the GM line to get help. This should be taking care of for you an no questions ask.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts