Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

If I had to do it all over again, would I still buy this car? (Despite it's problems)

• No - definately not!

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes - I love it the way it is!

Votes: 87 70.2%
  • Yes, but only if it were improved upon (any aspect, like quality, performance, etc.)

Votes: 21 16.9%
  • Yes, but only if it were less expensive!

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes, and I'd be willing to pay more if things were fixed!

Votes: 13 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I bought my car fully aware of most of the shortcomings) a few I learned of after purchase as I used it). I certainly wouldn't have paid them any more for it had GM been better at their job - the car was priced at the top of the category anyway.

No point me making a long list of the shortcomings - you guys are doing a good job on that. Just answering the poll question that I'd have bought pretty much regardless of all the qualifiers contained therein. But none of the categories quite work for me. I don't love it the way it is - that indicates an acceptance of all the silly things they did. I enjoy it the way it is NOW as I have addressed the GMs shortcomings myself, as far as I am able to do so.

·
Registered
643 Posts
window control buttons back too far,pagoda in trunk takes up what should have been storage space.bought mine used with 37,000 miles on it,so far everything works as it should.my previous car was a 93 honda del sol.this car feels much heavier and more corvette like.mileage is not quite as good but the car does have more power and acceleration as well as being quieter.doors shut like a mercedes...i mean that in a good way.overall very pleased.
Use your right hand for the window controls like they are designed for. Left hand on the wheel, right hand shifts, and operates the controls.

I think resurrected threads are cool. Let's us see how the original owners saw the car.

·
Happily In The Club
563 Posts
I haven't been on the forum in quite a while but this thread being updated generated an email since I was subscribed to it. Our Solstice is now approaching eight years old (I can't believe it!!!) and we LOVE IT! I still drool over its gorgeous shape. About this time of year I start daydreaming of the top-down weekend trips my wife and I will be taking in her come Spring. As far as problems, we had our radio fail back in 2010. Other than that, we've just been changing the oil and putting good tires on her as needed. This is my wife's daily driver BTW. Love this car just he way she is!!!

Matt

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Still enjoying our Kappa's warts and all, and enjoy seeing necrothreads like this pop up from time to time. They show GM that interest still remains for their entry-level, 2-seat, platform today as when it was introduced almost eight years ago. Plus they can use the threads feedback on Buick's reintroduction for their TTV6 Kappa II. :devil:

In 2015 the 2002 Solstice concept car will turn 15!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Funny, I never saw this thread. Bought my 06 early 2013 and became aware of the usual issues / problems. drove it for several months, did some research and bought another one. The wifes 2012 scion IQ win 19k miles has already been in the shop 3 times, the last time for over 3 weeks having rings replaced and that thing has more problems then ever. trying to get her to trade it in on a coupe. Every car has their fair share of problems. at least with the Solstice, it looks good even if it's not on the road.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Use your right hand for the window controls like they are designed for. Left hand on the wheel, right hand shifts, and operates the controls.

I think resurrected threads are cool. Let's us see how the original owners saw the car.
I call it "cross body reach" and taught it to my bride. You're snug enough in the cockpit that the easiest way to reach something is with the opposite hand. Grab a sip from the rear cupholder while driving? Use your left hand. Need to open the window, use your right hand. Need to accidentally shut off the radio, punch it with your knuckle when you're shifting! :)

I agree with thread resurrection. I like to be able to page back through the history and see how long the story goes and the myriad approaches/resolutions to the issue or concept.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I still use my left hand, but since I installed the auto up/down controller for the windows, all I ever need to do is tap the controls anyway (not hold them).

·
Super Moderator
16,090 Posts
I guess I do not understand the issue with the window controller. Yes its in a less than ideal place, but I for one would not want it on the center console either.

The windows are either up with the top down, or down with the top up. I set them once and drive. Not an issue with me. I had forgotten that this was a big issue back in the beginning. :willy:

I too enjoy reuse . . old threads made new again. I spend a lot of my time pulling old threads forward to answer new / old questions. :grouphug:

·
Registered
459 Posts
My only problem with my car is that it has too MUCH power and my eyeballs are becoming permanently flattened :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Call me weird, I actually don't mind a car with a little stupidity or defects. Oh sure, the same money I paid for my Solstice I could've got a Corolla or something else with absolute reliability, but the fact is those cars should be recalled for driver hypnosis.

In fact my G6 had nothing wrong with it when I replaced it, buying my Solstice was just a spur of a moment thing. A Solstice is not a car you buy because you need one, but it's one you buy because you want one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another problem I have with the Solstice is the design of the convertible top, especially that area on both sides of the rear window where two pieces of the top are held together with pieces of velcro.

My Solstice, a White 07 with a Black top is in nearly perfect condition except for where the velcro which is sewn onto the top has worn out from use and the effects of the sun, and I've been told that the top needs to be removed in order to repair this particular area correctly.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but if anyone has successfully repaired or modified this area on their top I'd like to hear about it, as I'm sure other "new" owners would.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I enjoy seeing old threads pop up. I started here in 2007 so I missed a bunch at the beginning. My 2006 base has been pretty good, but not entirely without issues. Rear diff, underpowered (now supercharged), leaky top, etc. No problem with window crank position at all. It is where it should be (no buttons here).

·
Registered
124 Posts
The ragtop pins chatter with the top down, working on it. There is a very faint whine from the rear at cruising speeds. And lastly, I don't have my DDM stage 2 supercharger in yet!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
GM isn't listening

The new GM is the same arrogant giant the old GM was. They want your dollars but not your feedback..love my Solstice but my experience with the factory then and now has been deplorable. I will vote with my dollars and buy something else in th future.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My little GXP has been great! I don't beat on it, no "upgrades" added (other than an aftermarket radio/GPS), the car is bone stock.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The ragtop pins chatter with the top down, working on it. There is a very faint whine from the rear at cruising speeds. And lastly, I don't have my DDM stage 2 supercharger in yet!!
are you talking about where they hit the supports when the top is down because the velcro has peeled away?just cut two fingers off an old set of leather gloves,stretch them over the metal as far down as they go(should be a finger lenth...ha,ha) and hold them in place with a couple of plastic tie wraps.(BTW,this is not my idea.i found it here on the forum)

·
Registered
643 Posts
I test drove a 2013 hardtop convertible Miata and concluded that it is a better car than the '06 Solstice in every aspect except the one aspect that made me choose the Solstice in the first place.

Kinda like marrying a 10 even though you have to put up with her moods and demands.

A six can make you very happy, but others won't know it by just seeing you two together.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts