Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this stating that there will be no Coupe.

http://www.modernracer.com/spyshots/spyshots3.html

With GM's falling sales - why would they build a limit production ragtop and not a COUPE also?? GM needs to sell as many cars as they can to regain the market. If they build the hard top coupe along with the ragtop GM will sell a lot more coupes. Almost every other car manufacture does it. For example: Corvette / Audi TT / 350Z / Mustang and so on. All these cars have both available - the coupe & ragtop. Now I know why GM in going under. :brentil: :mad:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hopefully they will put out a coupe later. I'd say your comments are accurate. Maybe by 2007 we'll see one.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Patience AJC....they still haven't fully finished the roadster yet plus they have 2 verts to get rolling first (Sky, Opel).

I'm sure they'll consider a coupe but realistically it's probably several years away.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am sure GM has their reasons for not pursuing the coupe version of the Solstice right away. Maybe that concept didn't translate as well to a production model from either a styling or engineering standpoint. Or maybe they didn't see a compelling business case that would have made it worth it. Whatever the reasoning behind it, they decided to concentrate on the roadster for now and see how it does. If the kappa's sell well, and they see a market for a coupe version, I am sure they will explore it. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Don't Take Away The Sun

Maybe they will add a coupe, maybe they won't. One guy's opinion, but to me that's a different car. This is a roadster, (sol=sun, get it?). Pontiac, with the success of the open-air Solstice behind them, should convert some of the other mutts in their line-up to cars that look like they're part of the same family as the Solstice but appeal to other buyers and other uses. Similar lines, similar grill, but in additional versions, a 2-seat coupe, a 4-seater, a performance sedan, whatever. Pontiac has some of the great badges in the industry, some of which are in use, some aren't. But too many cars that don't inspire much passion. Don't take this new, simple, highly focused idea and dilute it to meet every person's every need.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Miata doesn't have a coupe either. Sure seems like the coupe would be a good replacement for the F-cars if they ever decided to put a V8 in it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
stonebreaker said:
Miata doesn't have a coupe either.
While not for sale in the US there is/was an limited production NB coupe (3 versions) sold in Japan.

http://www.mazda.co.jp/customize/roadstercoupe/

If the reports are correct the new MX-5 should be available with an optional folding hardtop sometime in 2007.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
A V8 coupe could stand in for the F-cars, but then it probably would hit too close to the Corvette. A V8 and beefy tranny in a Solstice would likely raise its curb weight up to around the 3000 lb (at least) which is getting close to Corvette territory. It would be smaller in size than the 'Vette and slightly lighter, but otherwise it would still be a 2 seat V8 coupe. I'm not sure GM needs that.

As I understand it, the F-body replacements still may be on. GM cancelled Zeta for North America, but rumors have it that they are working on a cheaper version of Zeta for some new RWD V8 coupes, and that is probably the best chance at Pontiac getting a new RWD V8 coupe.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
How many years in the fifties did GM make a Corvette convertible before they offered a coupe or even a removable hardtop? How many years before Mazda came out with a removable hardtop? Same thing here. Be patient. It will come. Just hope they don't go too far like the Corvette and eventually only make coupes for a decade.

On a similar note, look how many years after introduction, Corvette only had a little inline six before GM put some muscle under the hood. And here we have a Solstice with 177HP at introduction, 200+HP a year latter, who knows what after that.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
DreamerDave said:
How many years before Mazda came out with a removable hardtop? .
It was an available factory/dealer option on the 1990 Miata from day one.

Even though the new MX-5 is a totally different car and the 90-05 hardtops will not fit, a hardtop is a factory/dealer option now.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Some cars look good as a coupe and some don't. I don't like what Mazda is doing with the coupe design, it's like two totally different designers worked on the car and neither would give up their own ideas. I think the Sol could look good as a coupe but I question the benefits to GM with the high retooling costs. It will be interesting to see what GM finally decides to do, bring out a coupe version of the Sol or offer a GT version while keeping it a rag top. Interesting fodder for discussion late this winter when we are no longer driving our Sols as much and are again spending long hours leaning over our keyboard dropping in exploding heads and picking on poor Miata owners. (You note I am now listing myself as an Ex-Miata man in anticipation of my Sol arriving)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Simple Solution...

My old Miata had a removable hardtop, shouldn't be any problem to make one that uses the same stud receivers as the flying buttress, won't require any modifications to the original design...Hey, GM, need an "idea guy"? :glol:

·
5,600 Posts
Gopherman said:
My old Miata had a removable hardtop, shouldn't be any problem to make one that uses the same stud receivers as the flying buttress, won't require any modifications to the original design...Hey, GM, need an "idea guy"? :glol:
With the convertible, the trunk release pops the buttresses to clear the trunk lid. If you anchor a removable hardtop to the clasps meant for the buttesses, you won't be able to open the trunk.

·
Registered
269 Posts
CanSol

That Mazda Hard-top is bone ugly and smacks of a 70's Isuzu (and not in a good way).

It's interesting that the earlier thread about what the different designations such as GT and GTP etc. whacked Americans for using designations incorrectly.

Looks like the Mazda people are no better as they have the Miata hard-top listed as a "Roadster Coupe". A roadster is an open top car and a coupe designates a two-door hard-top.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You want coupe, get a G6 coupe, your want a V8 get a GTO. You want a V8 sedan get the new Grand Prix GXP. I think Pontiac has some good options no matter what you are looking for.

·
Registered
527 Posts
jimbo said:
With the convertible, the trunk release pops the buttresses to clear the trunk lid. If you anchor a removable hardtop to the clasps meant for the buttesses, you won't be able to open the trunk.
I already have plans for my Sky to have a removeable hardtop, trunk access included. Necessity is the mother of invention...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts