Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago all of my dashboard lights, icons, etc. started fluttering and eventually went out completely ... including the tach, speedometer, etc. Took it to my local Chevy garage. About $400 later they returned it in working condition. They couldn't find the root cause but they cleaned some fittings/connections. I figured it was just a factory flaw and that all would be "good" for some time to come. Now ... less than 100 miles later ... the same thing happened. Performance doesn't seem to be compromised but without the lights, I can't even tell what gear I'm in (it's an automatic).

Have any of you experienced this problem???

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Yes, there was a recent thread from cdnite (IIRC). Ended up be a flaky ground point:

I found it! Y'all were right its was a ground.

Pin 15 grounds behind the drivers seat G304, and the wire was coming out of the terminal. I guess it had just enough contact to read as a ground on my meter but not enough for the gauge cluster to function.
Thread: http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,9592

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
How long ago did you take it to the Chevy garage and get charged $400? I'd be taking it back there myself as the repair has to have a warranty on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The warranty ran out about a month before the initial problem. The connection they determined to be at fault was a fitting in a block under the passenger seat (as opposed to the pin 15 ground behind the driver's seat). They tightened the assumed-to-be faulty fitting and, for a time, the problem was fixed. Turns out that the pinching "fix" was just coincidental ... timing-wise. By the way ... I misquoted that service charge as $400. It was actually $280. I'm sorry for that error. Anyway ... after a ton of time looking for a new "fix", they reported (this morning) that the root problem is a faulty instrument cluster. Holy crap!!! They're really great folks, though, and I don't doubt that finding. On the cheery side, they got GM approval to replace the instrument cluster free-of-charge. There is a God. And he obviously drives a GXP.

·
Registered
848 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Did anyone have an exact picture of where G304 grounds behind the driver seat? Is it in the cabin, if so under the carpet, etc?

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Posted a response to your same question on KP forum. (Same thread I linked above)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts