Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its funny to hear about all you guys going to pontiac dealerships and putting "downpayments" down. As of November 25 2004, there are absolutely NO build tables yet for the solstice. dealers are just saying the are accepting downpayments for extra money in the bank. since there are approx. 20,000 being built, that means a limited amount of solstices will be sent to dealerships. so u must be asking "well which one do i go to? the answer is none. wait till mid february, then go to a dealership. at this time. THERE ARE NO BUILD SCHEDULES YET. so dont go waste your money right now. And also, if you put a payment in february, there is stil a chance you will not get one, as there will be a high demand. The reason the payments are refundable is because there is a chance that they may not get one.

AND HOW DO I KNOW THIS? my father works in the General Motors Canadian executive building. and i get to order one from there with 1st priority. lol

but really guys, i know you really want this car, but dont waste your money. the dealerships just want some extra money in their bank.

-Dylan

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I agree that it is probably too early to be putting down payments out. However, 20,000 roadsters is a lot of roadsters. Initial demand will be strong, but I get the feeling there will be enough Solstices to go around. The upcoming Saturn roadster will also attract some potential buyers, and others appear willing to wait for a higher horsepower version.

I'd personally wait until GM accepts orders before putting in any down payment (although I probably won't pre-order anyway). However, I don't think anyone that has put a few bucks down is in danger of not receiving a car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The dealership I went to told me I could put down a deposit or not. They said they were establish the interest list based on deposit or no deposit. I told them I'd like to be on the higher side of the list, they told me to put down a deposit of any size, so I left a dollar. This honestly made them happy as I wanted the car not just the opportunity to drive one as soon as it came in. I even had a friend call to ask where he would be on the list if he came in, it was behind me so I'm doing okay. I'll surrender the $1 and the interest it would have earned for the opportunity to be first.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Agree, any money changing hands is just to hold a place on a list without an official order.

Given the crowded field of roasters I think there will be enough to go around after maybe a short supply problem at start.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If you get a signed contract from the dealer garuanteeing delivery of a Solstice then they have to honor that contract. People had been putting down a required $2000+ on Lotus Elises for almost 3 years before they arrived in the USA. This gave them a garunateed # in line at the dealer which lets you build to spec your Elise when builds were acepted, and garuanteed delivery. Othewise you're not getting one till late in 2005 if you're lucky. So what if there's no build schedule, the dealer can still give me in writting I'll be the first one at his dealeship to get a Solstice. If the dealer brakes the contract, sue the bastard for braking a SIGNED CONTRACT.

The reason they're refundable is because it's a good business pactice. Any person putting money down and not getting a signed contract is asking for it.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brentil said:
So what if there's no build schedule, the dealer can still give me in writting I'll be the first one at his dealeship to get a Solstice.
I will guarantee everybody here that nearly 1/4 to 1/2 of all solstices produced will be going to GM exec. mployees working in the Renaissance buiding in Detroit, or the GM main CDN. HQ in Oshawa, Ontario. Lets say i put an order down for the local pontiac dealer, and "brentil" already had a downpayment at that dealership and he was first in line, my order would over ride his because of first priority. its absolutley dumb, but thats how it works in GM. I have a meeting with a "province" zone manager to put a first priority order in. So, i could choose a dealership with 12 other people who have already put a payment down, but the order that i put in a year after theirs would automatically go above theirs! :cryin

It's absolutely unfair, but its good for some but bad for others.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I never said anything about beating out execs who want the car. I was talking about what you started dicussing. Us average Joe's going to an average Joe dalership. You make it sound pointless to go to a dealership and make a deposit all together. However if your GM exec's stealing all the Solstices story is true, then people should rush down to the dealer and get a signed contract now. One that says I get # 1 at the deler, I get it for X dollars +/- MSRP, and I can refund my deposit. Otherwise they'll be dealing with price gauging and low availabilty created by the company itself that supposedly looked down on dealers for doing it with the GTO.

If the Canadian group gobles up that many Solstices, wouldn't it just be coming out of the Canadian alotment, and not the USA's? Since car's are usually produced for regions.

·
Registered
533 Posts
dylan01 said:
I will guarantee everybody here that nearly 1/4 to 1/2 of all solstices produced will be going to GM exec. mployees working in the Renaissance buiding in Detroit, or the GM main CDN. HQ in Oshawa, Ontario. ...
Doesn't sound like a very good marketing move to me. The more cars in the hands of regular buyers mean more word of mouth sales, more people at Pontiac dealers, and more visibility of the product on the road in various locations.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Here are some dates for the Solstice builds:
MVB-Nonsalable - 21-Jan-05
MVB-Salable - 7-Feb-2005
SORP - 16-May-2005
The last one (SORP) is "Start Of Regular Production" and should be the date of concern to all of us who want the Solstice.
For those who are going to wait for the Saturn version, I believe these dates will be of use to you:
MVB-Non-salable - 17-Oct-05
MVB-Salable - 18-Nov-2005
SORP - 20-Feb-2006
As with anything the General does (or any other automotive manufacturer) all dates are subject to revision based upon many factors.

Rogobuck

·
Registered
533 Posts
Rogobuck said:
MVB-Salable - 7-Feb-2005
SORP - 16-May-2005
.... Rogobuck
Good info. If that schedule holds, I assume we should know the full list of options and colors by February. Correct? It also sounds like the Detroit auto show might be a good place to release that info.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would assume that the majority of options will be in place in time for the Detroit auto show in Jan. and the colors available should be in place by the start of the salable build in Feb.

Rogobuck

·
Registered
667 Posts
Rogobuck said:
MVB-Salable - 7-Feb-2005
SORP - 16-May-2005
The last one (SORP) is "Start Of Regular Production" and should be the date of concern to all of us who want the Solstice.
For those who are going to wait for the Saturn version, I believe these dates will be of use to you:
MVB-Non-salable - 17-Oct-05
MVB-Salable - 18-Nov-2005
SORP - 20-Feb-2006
As with anything the General does (or any other automotive manufacturer) all dates are subject to revision based upon many factors.

Rogobuck
All this is interesting info., but...
Nothing can be built unless there is a fully operational plant/assembly line on which to build this platform. To date I have not heard word one on this aspect of the build process. Does anyone have knowledge of the state of the plant(s) where the Solstice is to be built? This Jan-Feb 05 build date time frame seems impossible to meet to me. We 're talking build dates 2 and 3 months out? We need to find out more about the assembly plants and their state of renovation.
"As with anything the General does (or any other automotive manufacturer) all dates are subject to revision based upon many factors"
This is very true and the readiness of a newly converted plant to begin production of a brand new platform is no simple nor easy task.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The Solstice is to be built at the Wilmington, DE plant that was building the Saturn L-series sedan. Production of that car was ended early by GM around June/July of this year to shut the plant down in order to immediately begin re-tooling for Solstice production.

I have seen some anecdotal indications that the plant may have already put out some very early pre-production cars for testing purposes. I cannot confirm or deny the information, and I do not know how reliable it is. Just take it for what it is.

Even disregarding that, the fact that they have been retooling the facility all summer and fall leads me to believe it would be ready to begin rolling pre-production cars off the line by January. That would give the plant a good 6 months to be re-tooled, which should be a reasonable amount.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Rogobuck said:
MVB-Salable - 7-Feb-2005
SORP - 16-May-2005
Great thanks. What happens to the Feb-7 salable build....I assume this is very small, is this maybe the VIPS?

Sounds like we are getting close here :smile

·
Registered
284 Posts
These are usually the builds off of production intent tools, and could be sold (at the company's discretion). They usually go into the fleet (where the VIPs who are assigned to that platform are given them) for real world de-bugging and customer reaction. In the past, this could mean as few as 20 or 25, or as many as a couple of hundred. As the intended production numbers are in the 20,000 units, I would think it would be closer to the 20-25 vehicles, but they could also make a couple of "builds" during this time each with a like number of vehicles.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Rogobuck said:
These are usually the builds off of production intent tools, and could be sold (at the company's discretion). They usually go into the fleet (where the VIPs who are assigned to that platform are given them) for real world de-bugging and customer reaction. In the past, this could mean as few as 20 or 25, or as many as a couple of hundred. As the intended production numbers are in the 20,000 units, I would think it would be closer to the 20-25 vehicles, but they could also make a couple of "builds" during this time each with a like number of vehicles.
What builds would the cars loaned to automotive magazines come from? I'm asking this to help determine whether we'll see a road test of a production like vehicle before they go on sale to the public.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm not sure if the automotive magazines will be using a prototype for their long lead stories or if they will be able to get their hands onto one of the Feb. builds in time for their deadlines for publication. It seems to me that the magazines are on the market about two months before their monthly date on the covers, and it takes at least one month for them to write, edit, etc. their stories, so that would put the issue for May needing to be wrapped up in Feb. If they are able to pressure GM into allowing them to test a salable vehicle, it would have to be one of the first ones built around the Feb. 7th date, and I would hope that we would have just about all our questions answered by the Detroit Auto Show or shortly afterwards.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hark, is that a light down the tunnel?

Now we have a date to at least look forward to. It may be a pipe dream yet better that nothing. I will sit in the snow and eat pop corn until after.
:lurk
Thanks for holding out another carrot on a stick.
:thumbs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts